Etiquette for getting reviewed

macleod1972

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of questions for all you good people, if I may. As a debut author, what is the best way to approach people you admire to ask if they would review your book? Is there a way to do it graciously? My second question is how does one approach independent bookstores to ask if they will stock your book? (it will be released with a small press who are more centered on internet sales, so I see that part of marketing largely up to me). Thanks in advance. As a relative newbie here (well, more of a reader than a poster) I can't seem to find a 'like' button for previous advice, but just to say it's all greatly appreciated. I do seem to have gravitated here from the 'rejection and dejection' page, which feels.... great.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Do you mean reviews from prominent people that you want to quote, or normal customer reviews?

If your book cannot be ordered through their usual systems, with a deep discount and unlimited returns, book stocking will be limited. You will need to find out whether they will take titles from a local author on consignment.

macleod1972

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean reviews from prominent people that you want to quote, or normal customer reviews?

I guess I meant prominent figures who work in the same genre, who might with a kind word or recommendation provide traction (assuming they like my book in the first place). But I would rather run a mile than be thought of as 'pushy'. I have only recently joined Twitter as I've been told it's an important platform - but at the moment I don't have much of a feel for it. I guess what I'm trying to say is what is the recommended method of approaching your heroes (if at all) and how do you broach the subject of your book without seeming pushy.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Depending on how "prominent" the figures you're talking about are, they're unlikely to be able to consider any requests that don't come through their agent or publicist. A cold request is likely to be futile.

You might check their blogs, though. I know in SFF there are a number of big authors who, once a week or so, turn over their blogs to other authors. They generally have an application process, and as long as you fulfill the requirements (and get your application in on time!), you can piggyback on their views.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Stick to those that have submission guidelines for reviews or similar. Those that don't will not want to hear about your book or receive a review copy.

You can of course follow them and chat about other stuff, but I'd suggest you work on not viewing them as heroes. Approach other people as actual people and don't get your heart set on making friends with specific people. Your best allies are likely to be other random people you haven't met yet.

Reactions: Viva Venezuela

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
If you're trying to get your book into a locally owned bookstore I would check to see if they have a "local author section", which most do. In most cases you just speak with the owner in-person, or send an e-mail, or call the store. If they agree to carry your book, you then bring in 1 or 2 copies of your book yourself. They usually ask for a small percentage of the sale. This is how it works where I live, anyway.

However, I have a friend who works at one of these locally owned bookstores and he says it's annoying when local authors who have never set foot in the store suddenly want to drop off five books. And then they only come back every few months to see if anything sold...and are upset when nothing has sold. If you're going to be using a store to help sell your book, and they're an independent/local store, it'd be courteous to also give them you book buying business. You're an author. You must be reading and you must be buying the books you read somewhere, unless you exclusively use the library. I only sell my own books at local bookstores I actually shop at. Since I'm a regular customer they usually wave taking a cut of the sale and I get the full profit for any book sales. They're also happy to put my stuff on display for me.

Congrats on the book and good luck! :)