SF in the blood

Astropolis

Registered
Reaction score
I've been addicted to Science Fiction since I read Tom Godwin's "The Cold Equations" as a schoolkid, more than fifty years ago.

Since then I have come to love all the golden age classics, Piper, Asimov, Niven and too many to list, but particularly Heinlein.

I started writing as a student. I'd read that Arcturus was an orange red colour under magnification, so I borrowed my father's binoculars and had a look. It was beautiful, and I realised that here was only one way I could go there. I gave back the binoculars and borrowed his typewriter.

Since then I've fitted writing around a career in software.

I've picked up a lot of odd skills over the years which are all useful backstory, things as diverse as diving and working as volunteer fire crew.

I'm always happy to read and discuss anything anyone else has written in any genre.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Splashy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Astropolis,

I'm Splashy.

I also write when I can because of work. I have not read any Science Fiction yet but my go-to reads are usually in the fantasy genre. I did finish my manuscript not too long ago and know I'm in the process of finding what to do next.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'm dipping into the New Members forum to welcome a few newcomers.

Welcome Astropolis. Some of my fondest early memories include Dad setting up the telescope and showing us all manner of wonders in the sky.