Hi from newbie Avery!

averyames

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! First off, a bit of a confession... I'm not a complete newbie, as I've been lurking around the public areas of the forum for a while, but I'd like to finally un-lurk myself and jump in a little more deeply. I've been writing most of my life, but started to get a bit more involved after I participated in my first NaNoWriMo in 2006. In 2015, I got serious about writing for publication. I've self-published one novel so far with a sequel in the works, and I'm working toward traditional publication on a separate project.

My writing genre of choice is adult fantasy, though I read a bit more widely than that, with a penchant for expanding into YA as well as the occasional contemporary romance, cozy mystery, or thriller. Every once in a while, I'll dip my toe into sci-fi, historical, and non-fiction, too.

Aside from writing, I have about a billion hobbies that include cosplay, candle-making, baking, concocting tea blends, crafting cocktails, drawing, video games, and tabletop gaming. I'm a writing-themed podcast addict, too. My day job is in graphic design for printing.

I look forward to getting to know you all and chatting more!

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I didn't know it was possible to have that many hobbies...

Anyway, welcome to AW. I also self-published my first book.

averyames

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Thank you for the welcome! I do tend to rotate the hobbies out... I don't know how I'd do them all on a regular basis! But when I get bored of one, I fixate on another for a while. :D

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You've arrived just in time for Maryn's cocktail hour! What are we having? I'll buy the first round for everyone. This is going to add up, with 1162 users online as I type this. But hey, if you stay home all the time, you don't spend hardly anything. Can I run a tab at this joint, do you think?

It's a pleasure to meet you. It sounds like you're someone I'd enjoy in person. Welcome!

Maryn, who needs to start cooking soon

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

averyames

Registered
Reaction score
Whoops, I missed cocktail hour, dangit! :D I'll take an old-fashioned if you're still serving, though, Maryn! ;)

And thanks for the info, regdog!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First off, a bit of a confession...

Welcome, my child. How long since your last . . . ?

No, wait, impersonation is a hobby I'm trying to quit. :badthoughtsAnyway, enjoy your un-lurking here at AW. :greenie

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Your hobbies list is AWESOME.

I am going to go find you on goodreads.

Welcome!

milotry

swamp dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Avery, welcome!
I love cosplay, drawing and games too! Who was your most recent cosplay? Mine was Fuuka Yamagishi from Persona 3, but that was...last October, before all the conventions were cancelled in the spring :cry:

For writing podcasts, do you have a favourite? Mine are Writing Excuses and Writer's Routine.

averyames

Registered
Reaction score
Your hobbies list is AWESOME.

I am going to go find you on goodreads.

Welcome!

Awww, thank you! I just can't sit still, lol! :D

Hi Avery, welcome!
I love cosplay, drawing and games too! Who was your most recent cosplay? Mine was Fuuka Yamagishi from Persona 3, but that was...last October, before all the conventions were cancelled in the spring :cry:

Nice! My last two were Maria Renard from the video game Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and the tactical Black Widow outfit from the Samnee/Waid 2016 comic book run! I did miss having a convention season this year though. :(

For writing podcasts, do you have a favourite? Mine are Writing Excuses and Writer's Routine.

I've been listening to a lot of Mythcreants lately and really enjoying it!

Last edited:

milotry

swamp dweller
Registered
Reaction score
My last two were Maria Renard from the video game Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and the tactical Black Widow outfit from the Samnee/Waid 2016 comic book run! I did miss having a convention season this year though. :(

Ooh I love SotN! Maria's design seems like it would be a lot of fun to wear. Have you watched the Castlevania series? Some friends of mine cosplayed Alucard and Sypha a while back :)
It really has been weird not having conventions! I hope by next summer they can start up again, but it feels unlikely (at least here in the UK).

I've been listening to a lot of Mythcreants lately and really enjoying it!
I'll check that out!

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Welcome to AW :welcome:
At least you will never be bored with so many hobbies :) Sadly my tabletop gaming is not quite the same using voice chat over Discord instead of across a table.
Amanda was actually my agent for a while - she has a really good eye so well done there :)

Last edited:

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! It sounds like you have quite a wide range of interests. Why do I get the feeling that your work is quite intriguing🤔 happy writing!