Non-violent inmate firefighters can have records expunged in CA

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
This will allow them to receive EMT training and apply for jobs/training as firefighters once their sentences are complete.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/11/9121...rs-path-for-ex-inmates-to-become-firefighters

California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday signed a bill allowing inmate firefighters to have their records expunged, clearing the path for them to be eligible for firefighting jobs upon release.

The bill, sponsored by Democratic Assemblywoman Eloise Reyes, lets prisoners who received "valuable training and [placed] themselves in danger assisting firefighters to defend the life and property of Californians" to petition the courts to dismiss their convictions after completing their sentences.

That will make them eligible to receive EMT certification, a hiring requirement of municipal firefighting departments. However, one that former inmates are prohibited by state law to pursue.

I think this has the potential to be a positive and humane step for people who have served their time for non-violent offenses and have put themselves on the line to fight fires while they are inmates. And so many people re-offend because they can't find reliable employment once they get out of prison.

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
connormuldowneydigitalshowcase.wordpress.com
I love this. I love this so much.

Not only do people re-offend, but on top of that kids can be forced to grow up without their dad because he is in prison, which make it more likely that they themselves will offend, creating a cycle.

I don't think this will break the cycle completely, but it is an amazing step forward. Especially since being a firefighter is a job explicitly geared towards helping other people. There is something so wholesome about this.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I’m a little conflicted about it.

On the one hand, yes, they’ve done us all a service, and this is a just reward.

OTOH, there’s something unsettling about a society using prisoners to do jobs like this in the first place.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Good laws can always be misused, but I think that's no reason not to try.
If these guys are brave enough to risk their lives (and there was nothing in it for them, until this idea) then give them a chance - I have a feeling that fires will become more common in the future, we're going to need them.

And, in general, what kind of jobs are ex-cons getting?
How many return to crime because they can't support themselves, or their families?
Firefighting is a well-respected job. People smile when they see firemen. A child can say proudly "My dad's away because he's fighting fires!"
And, for some young guys, an element of danger is an incentive. They wouldn't last a day behind a desk, but risking their lives, no problem.
This plan deserves a chance.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
This bill is so long overdue. Many inmates find purpose and a life goal through the fire service, and have proven their ability to do the job well. It has been one of California's injustices that being released means the end of their dream.

Personally, I would not necessarily have argued for expunging the record, but rather, for creating an exception that would allow them to obtain certification in spite of it. I hope this law will be well used, and prove an aid to successful re-entry into society.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
I’m a little conflicted about it.

On the one hand, yes, they’ve done us all a service, and this is a just reward.

OTOH, there’s something unsettling about a society using prisoners to do jobs like this in the first place.

There would be, if anyone were forced to do it. As things stand, however, inmate crews are strictly volunteers. In most cases, this is a strongly positive experience for them. The majority of prison inmates have a low level of education, a history of troubled families from the day they are born--meaning no support and seldom any phone calls or visitors--and they suffer from tremendously low self-esteem. For many, this is the first time in their lives that they are valued, and thanked for doing something to help others. It becomes a genuine pathway to redemption.

Low inmate wages are a separate issue, not restricted to the fire service, and are of ongoing concern. If you're interested in reading more about conditions, there is an in-depth interview by Efren Paredes, Jr., a prisoner serving a life-without-parole sentence in Michigan on a wrongful conviction of murder. In Part 10 of the interview installments, Efren talks specifically about prison work and wages. I may add, it's well worth reading the whole thing.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I don't know what it says about our system that it's easier to expunge someone's record than it is to create a specific exception to a rule or policy.

I'd like to see more opportunities for Inmates to receive training and experience that qualifies them for specific jobs and training programs once they are out. Also, since many non-violent offenders are in for drug-related charges, better drug rehab that uses a more comprehensive approach that includes pharmaceuticals, and that give them more choices in terms of therapy programs. Our courts often to order AA-modeled12 step programs, which simply don't work for most people.