Resubmitting the Novel

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Been a while since I wandered these places, but I return with a question specifically for agents. :)

I've submitted by first WIP - a historical YA back in 2012 - and I did get a request for a partial and 6 very detailed refusals from agents who were very kind in their comments. Sent it to over 80+ agents. Feedback from those agents was very encouraging, and it had mostly due with the fact that in my desire to be authentic, I went way overboard with the historical authenticity and torpedoed my chances of getting it published because it was more fit to be published in Shakespeare's time than in the 21st century. (think stilted dialogue & all)

It's been quite some time since then, and my question is, can I resubmit the same work?

Is that considered acceptable or a no-no?

Obviously with the proper editing, making it easy on the eye and not a reimagining of the Macbeth play. :D

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
The guideline I've always heard is, yes, it's okay to "resubmit" the same novel if it's been several years and you have edited it very heavily. I'm sure some agents/publishers might specifically dislike receiving "repeat submissions" like this, but given the quantity of submissions, they're also not likely to remember you. :D

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I think you can. Also the market has moved since 2012, editors and agents have moved on. There will be a whole bunch of new agents to try.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I do plan on submitting to some of the agencies I queried back in 2012, to be honest, which is why I asked the question.

I've bought the Guide to Agents 2020 book so I will be conducting my research, and editing my query as well, but some of the same agencies will getting a query again so let's see how it works.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Not an agent here.

I'd probably mention it in the letter and that the manuscript had been substantially revised.

I've had agents forget my name within 24 hours (rejection on Wednesday, Pitmad like on Thursday), and given what they are managing it makes sense. So, I think you are OK, especially if the manuscript has been revised. Plus, you may have some sense that the market is better for your book now than it was then.

A few things have been on my mind the last day or so, advice (from a few years back) on what to look for in your MS before submitting. Sounds like you are looking at these sorts of things, but it's worth it to go through the list and double check.

Last edited:

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you can resubmit, there's nothing wrong with it, but if you haven't corrected the problems and you're just sending it out verbatim again, expect to get the same responses. You need to correct the problems first, then let it fly.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much woolly and Cephus - manuscript is in the editing phase, 100% it will be heavily revised. After all, I pretty much have to rethink the entire dialogue, that was the whole point of the detailed feedback I had gotten from agents.