Another Milagro Beanfield War: It was only a matter of time.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Goodreads: The Milagro Beanfield War

I read this book when I was in my early 20s.

Farmers, National Guard Troops Clash Over Water in Northern Mexico
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said Wednesday he would ask the Attorney General’s Office to investigate a clash between hundreds of farmers and National Guard troops at a dam in the northern state of Chihuahua and a subsequent incident that left two people dead.

It was the latest flashpoint in a months-long conflict over the Mexican government’s attempts to pay off its water debt with the United States over objections of local farmers.

Making it worse, as the planet warms up, corporations are moving to privatize more and more water sources.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm afraid conflicts over water are only going to get worse in the west in upcoming years.

I was doing a bit of research on the Owen's valley lately, more for the geography and geology, as part of some world building for a writing project. But I ran across a description of the water wars (detailed in the movie Chinatown) that transformed it from a place with lots of agriculture to a the dry, mostly barren place it is today. Most of their water goes to slake LA's thirst.

There is no way the Western US, nor parts of Mexico, can support their current population densities, or agriculture, without vast amounts of water. I don't see how all this is going to end well in the long run.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
It was well over a decade ago that I read that the wars of the future will be fought over water.

It was several years back, IIRC, that the CEO of Nestle insisted that nobody had a basic right to water.

And way back when I was in high school in the 90's I remember hearing that the water from the Colorado River was already technically oversold by the time it reached California, and that we were overexploiting the natural aquafier under the Great Plains.

Add that to climate change changing how snowpack/precipitation distributes water, and we're heading for Mad Max territory sooner rather than later, I'm afraid...

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
There is no way the Western US, nor parts of Mexico, can support their current population densities, or agriculture, without vast amounts of water.

Yes!! It’s stunning to me how many people argue that population growth is fine and we have plenty of resources. Constant growth is not a sustainable model. And crossing the line to where we truly do not have enough resources for the world population will make the pandemic look like a walk in the park.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Step one in water conservation: eliminate all private swimming pools, and golf courses. Watch the rich howl.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Step one in water conservation: eliminate all private swimming pools, and golf courses. Watch the rich howl.
And pretty much eliminate Las Vegas and all lawn watering.

My lawn in a very nice brown, no mowing required this time of year and when the rains come it will green right up.

Also and most important, resist privatization of water supplies.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
One of the biggest water savers is to change the way they irrigate and which crops are grown. We've seen some of this already. I remember a couple of decades ago we used to see lots of cotton grown in the central valley, but I haven't noticed any cotton fields in recent years. Cotton is a very "thirsty" crop. You also don't see those "sprinkler" type irrigators much anymore. Drip irrigation is much more common.

In CA, residential use is only about 10% of the water agriculture and environmental uses consume most of the water. I imagine this is true throughout the west. People need to eat, and ecosystems need water too, but there probably need to be changes in how we grow our foods and in which foods we grow where for biggest impact. This does not mean we shouldn't conserve in our daily lives, of course.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I quit buying almonds. Much as I love them, they use more water to produce than the California area they are grown in has.