Self- Publishing Promotion through Blogging

Busha777

Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow writers,

I have just finished writing my first book and am quite nervous. Right now I am focused on marketing the book. I have checked through various sites and videos and one of the most common suggestions is for one to create their own blog to effectively market the book.

I have never blogged before so I am not sure if I am doing things right so far. I have, thus far, created a blog, giving it the same name as my book series. I have written basically what the book series is about and now I have run out of things to say.

Can anyone advise or offer tips as to how exactly I should proceed with this?

Lost and in dire need of guidance.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
There's no point in blogging if you don't have something to say on a regular basis.

Blog because you have something to say, not just to sell your book.

You might look at the subforum on Book Promotion Ideas and Advice, and pay particular attention to this thread.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'd second that, and I've heard that it's good to think of what your non-writing interests are, the ones that inform your writing and which would make good blog posts. Blog those.

Example: for me, it's environmentalism. Lots to blog on there, (although frankly I don't because every time I sit down to try, I get so danged depressed.). But it's good to know what your 'brand' is and to try to keep your website and blog consistent to the brand.

Also, network. Goodreads has author pages. You might not sell through GR, but you'll realize you're in community which is valuable. I've made a few good contacts through goodreads. The community helps normalize your ultimate experience re: sales (which might be lower than you expect, but maybe not.). Network however you like--bookstores and social media and so on. At least where I live, 'local author' gets a little cred.

I have a friend who has done really well with rapid release of titles and the amazon ads through KDP select/KU. He used the Rocket 'thing' (I forget the actual name but look at the free course here: https://courses.kindlepreneur.com/courses/AMS.

I blog anemically not for sales but to keep a sort of history of my path. You've inspired me to think up an environmental post. Thanks for that.

Last thing: Congratulations!!! :) And also, try to get advance reviews from your 'advance' team. Amazon allows non-family to post reviews, and getting those sorted first can help boost your title so that it gets more visibility in the first month.

Last edited:

Busha777

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your feedback.

Your comments reflected so much what I was feeling inside.

Consensus is not always right and one should just follow their gut feeling.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you plan to write other books, and you want to blog, name the blog either after your pen name or after a topic that relates to the topics you want to write about/ But most of all, if you don't really want to blog then don't blog. A basic website with book details and contact info is better than an inactive blog.