N.H. woman votes topless after anti-Trump shirt isn’t allowed at polls

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-woman-votes-topless-anti-trump-shirt-20200909-r3xp7qmfpzak5auyqtdintrleq-story.html

NY Daily News said:
A New Hampshire woman popped her top off and bared her torso at a polling place prior to casting her vote when an election official said she could not wear a t-shirt promoting a political candidate while voting.

The woman, who entered a polling place in Exeter wearing a "McCain Hero, Trump Zero” T-shirt, was informed of a state law by town moderator Paul Scafidi that bans campaign material at polling places.

Oddly, Trump was not on the ballot as the woman was voting in a gubernatorial and congressional primary, not a presidential primary.

The woman, not wanting to risk a fine, tried to plead her case.

The woman, who was not identified, pointed out that another woman at the polling place was wearing an American flag T-shirt, Scafidi said, according to Sea Coast Online. He told her that an American flag was not electioneering and that the “Trump Zero” shirt would have to be covered.

So the woman asked if he wanted her to take her shirt off. She wasn’t wearing anything underneath.

“I said I’d rather she not,” Scafidi said. “But she took it off so fast, no one had time to react. So the whole place just went, ‘whoa,’ and she walked away, and I let her vote.”

The woman put her shirt back on and left after voting, Scafidi said, adding that she could have gone somewhere private to turn the shirt inside out.

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.! Don’t let anyone tell you that liberals aren’t fired up to vote this year! ;)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like that woman. Immediately.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You gotta do what you gotta do to vote.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

I'd have loved to have seen the look on the face of that 'election guard' or whatever he was. I wonder if he was a poll worker or something else?

It is true that said campaign material isn't allowed in the polling place. But if Trump wasn't on the ballot?

Wonder what would happen if you had BLM or I can't breathe on your clothing?

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
On behalf of women voters everywhere - you go, girl!
All those old-time, corset-wearing suffragettes are grinning down at you!

In those places where they are trying to disenfranchise people by making them wait in line for hours: topless protest! I imagine that would make them break out the 'spare' booths.
Not sayin' it wouldn't also encourage a lot of men to come vote as well.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
:roll:

I'd have loved to have seen the look on the face of that 'election guard' or whatever he was. I wonder if he was a poll worker or something else?

It is true that said campaign material isn't allowed in the polling place. But if Trump wasn't on the ballot?

Wonder what would happen if you had BLM or I can't breathe on your clothing?

I think an argument could be made that they are technically allowable, as long as they are not the subject of a specific referendum or something. However, I suppose an article could be made that they are now highly politicized positions. Could be something courts would have to decide.

We've had discussions about this re wearing campaign buttons versus identity supportive buttons or clothing while teaching (since we are public employees we aren't supposed to endorse candidates or ballot initiatives on the public dime). Most at the college feel we shouldn't wear candidate or proposition buttons, but rainbow pins and safety pins (remember those) and BLM pins are more about supporting specific groups of students than dissing others (though Christian students sometimes argue the rainbow pins are slaps in their faces, that's only because they choose to take them that way).

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(I think there's still a safety pin in the lapel of my peacoat, which I don't think I wore once last winter...)

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
That's patriotism!

When I voted in person, my nails were always painted sparkly blue (Essie Aruba Blue) and I usually wore blue. One morning, my husband grabbed one of several fleece jackets (we had a bunch in different colors from vendors at his job), set the alarm, went out to his car, and then came running back in, swapping one jacket for another. I asked him why and he said, "I'm going to vote after work. I'm not wearing red." And out he went in a blue jacket. I have never loved him more.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My safety pin, a diaper pin, is on my purse zipper. No one has yet asked me if I had it there for a reason.

I don't care. It's there for a reason.