New Newbie - Hi!

milotry

swamp dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm Milo, they/them, and I "graduated" (covid kind of scuppered any chance of an actual graduation) from a game design degree back in June.

I both predominantly read and write SFF, though I've dabbled a little in mystery and literary fiction too. I love worldbuilding, which I blame on all the tea-stained pirate maps I used to make as a kid.

It's tough to say how long I've been writing, since I wrote stories constantly as a child, fanfiction here and there as a teenager, then rarely wrote anything for all my time at uni. I'm back into it at full force now, so I guess returnee writer is a good way to put it.

My most recent favourite series is the Mortal Engines Quartet, and I'm currently reading Circe by Madeline Miller and loving it! I'm not put off much by intended demographic, so I'll pretty much read anything from kidlit to YA to adult, but I think most of my writing would fall into new adult.

I currently work in the games industry as as UX/UI designer/artist, so if anyone ever needs a reader who knows about game development (or art!), feel free to hit me up :)

At the moment I'm working on a dystopian short story, and gearing up for my first attempt at NaNoWriMo. I'm hoping to get a zero draft of a fantasy novel out of it that I can keep working on for a while afterwards.

Looking forward to chatting to people!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Earthworm Jim

Registered
Reaction score
Hi milotry. Pleasure to meet you. I'm also a newbie. I can really relate to being busy. Hopefully, you can write a fantasy story where we can pause time to catch up with stuff we need to do, then by magic this comes true. Good luck with the NaNoWriMo, I've heard a lot of good things about it.

milotry

swamp dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Earthworm Jim! Nice to meet you too, and to meet a fellow busybody :) I get up at 6am to spend a few hours writing before my day job, so I manage to find the time, but I definitely have to plan ahead and prioritise different things sometimes. That story idea sounds like it could be onto something, haha.

Earthworm Jim

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm. I'd love to get up earlier to write, but the 4.15 rise for work is the bane of my life. Have the idea. It's yours. I don't want royalties, just allow me access to the cheat code please.

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, milotry! I'm new to AW as well, but this year will be my fifth NaNoWriMo. You're in for a wild adventure! It's not for everyone, but I find it the best way to just get ideas out from where they're rattling around the brainosphere and birth them into a place where they can flourish and grow. I always end up with a frivolous mess of words at the end of November, but the first one I did that way I've polished up enough to give it delusions of grandeur and hopefully actually get on the road to publish soon.
If you haven't already, I'd suggest getting a hold of Chris Baty's "No Plot, No Problem" guidebook to the whole experience. I've found it to be good inspiration and motivation to keep me on track.
Good luck to you!

milotry

swamp dweller
Registered
Reaction score
the 4.15 rise for work is the bane of my life
4:15! You poor thing, I'd be a zombie :eek:

Welcome, milotry! I'm new to AW as well, but this year will be my fifth NaNoWriMo. You're in for a wild adventure! It's not for everyone, but I find it the best way to just get ideas out from where they're rattling around the brainosphere and birth them into a place where they can flourish and grow. I always end up with a frivolous mess of words at the end of November, but the first one I did that way I've polished up enough to give it delusions of grandeur and hopefully actually get on the road to publish soon.
If you haven't already, I'd suggest getting a hold of Chris Baty's "No Plot, No Problem" guidebook to the whole experience. I've found it to be good inspiration and motivation to keep me on track.
Good luck to you!

A frivolous mess of words is what I'm aiming for, for sure! I've been outlining for a while so hopefully plot won't be a huuge problem (touch wood), but Chris Baty's book looks really interesting, I should definitely pick it up. I "won" Inktober (an art challenge where you do an ink illustration every day in October) three years in a row and loved it, so I'm going to try and transfer my drawing-every-day determination into writing-every-day determination. Good luck to you too, both with NaNo 2020 and with your novel!

Splashy

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Milotry!

Sounds like you are also busy. My schedule has been packed all this week, but I still find the time to read and check out the forums. At times like these, the only thing we can do is go Plus Ultra! Most be a really busy time with the new consoles coming put.

milotry

swamp dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you are also busy. My schedule has been packed all this week, but I still find the time to read and check out the forums. At times like these, the only thing we can do is go Plus Ultra! Most be a really busy time with the new consoles coming put.

I'm swamped, honestly! But I guess I'd rather have too much to do than nothing at all. I'm glad you've still had time to chill out a bit, if only we had Quirks that allowed us to do infinite things at once, then we could really go Plus Ultra haha.

Thankfully the new console generation doesn't really effect me much! UI is UI regardless of which platform it's on, so my job is just business as usual. I imagine it's pretty busy over in Sony and Microsoft's HQs though :)

scribemeetsworld

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scribemeetsworld.com
I "won" Inktober (an art challenge where you do an ink illustration every day in October) three years in a row and loved it, so I'm going to try and transfer my drawing-every-day determination into writing-every-day determination.

Hi Milo,

That's the neat thing about qualities like discipline, focus, and determination. When you apply them to one project, you can transfer them to another. It seems like you established good habits with Inktober -- which sounds really cool, btw. And I bet you'll win NaNoWriMo this year too :D

Good luck!