Covid-19 | Coronavirus September 2020

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've just been worn down by 3-4 people in my neighborhood forum pushing one lie after another in rapid succession about COVID 19. It started with a big page including some oversized graph denying there was a problem, claiming the whole thing was a hoax and insisting the schools be reopened. Myself and others debunked the claims but they ignored that and switched to another falsehood citing fox news as the source, misinterpreting the CDC data, and when that was debunked they ignored it and went on to the next right-wing echo with another false claim. Every time anyone debunked their crap they ignored it and pulled more stuff off their favorite right-wing echo chamber web page.

Classic trying to nail jello to the wall ... until your opponent (me) is worn down.

There is a massive amount of activity circulating right now as these fools sadly repeat what they hear and ignore any response to it. They even come around and begin again recirculating the same stuff that was rebutted earlier only with a new lie.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've just been worn down by 3-4 people in my neighborhood forum pushing one lie after another in rapid succession about COVID 19. It started with a big page including some oversized graph denying there was a problem, claiming the whole thing was a hoax and insisting the schools be reopened. Myself and others debunked the claims but they ignored that and switched to another falsehood citing fox news as the source, misinterpreting the CDC data, and when that was debunked they ignored it and went on to the next right-wing echo with another false claim. Every time anyone debunked their crap they ignored it and pulled more stuff off their favorite right-wing echo chamber web page.

Classic trying to nail jello to the wall ... until your opponent (me) is worn down.

There is a massive amount of activity circulating right now as these fools sadly repeat what they hear and ignore any response to it. They even come around and begin again recirculating the same stuff that was rebutted earlier only with a new lie.

It is exhausting to deal with these idiots. I know one person who insists that normal people are cowards because we're covering our faces and hiding from a Virus that "only" kills 3% of the people it sickens. She's a vaccine denier and seems to think that there is some benefit to getting a disease "naturally." She takes vehement exception to the idea that she should wear a mask "when it gives her panic attacks," poor dear, and why is she responsible for protecting other people anyway? Recently she got her digs in about how masks are a government attempt to control us by subjugating our individuality just as Muslims do to women in the middle east. Because we're primates, and our seeing one another's faces is important to us. I love it when science deniers will suddenly inject a tiny bit of actual science into their tirades when it serves their purposes.

I know another who has whined over the past few months on social media about what a tyrant our governor is for the mask mandate and for closing some businesses. She also posted yesterday, as if it were a revelation, a CDC report that over 90% of the covid deaths were among people with underlying health issues. So I guess that means it's not a problem, right, even though over half of us adults (by some estimates) have at least one of the risk factors for increased morbidity and mortality. Better to let the elderly and people with chronic conditions die than to stop younger, healthy people from going to bars, movies, parties and having their hair done. And that thing about many survivors having ongoing morbidity and us not knowing for sure what the long-term health effects might be in even previously healthy survivors? Don't sweat it. Scientists don't know what they're talking about anyway. They support evolution and climate change, and that proves where their true agenda lies.

I've wondered if for some people seeing a masked face hits their uncanny valley, literally creeps them out. Or maybe they simply associate face coverings with cultures they think of as "other." Or maybe they've had really bad experiences with doctors and other health care providers who routinely wear masks. Because even before politics got involved, the reaction some people have had to masks has been out of proportion, especially the extreme anger some people express towards others wearing masks. I am not sure how to go about testing this hypothesis, however, especially now that the issue has become so politicized.

What ticks me off most, though, are the politicians and media pundits who are whipping these people into an angry, ignorant frenzy over measures meant to keep them, and other people, safe.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
To take the certification exam for infection control (CIC) I had to go to an H&R Block office where they set all that up, camera on, ID checks at the door. I could bring notes.

It's more challenging to proctor remotely for exams that must be taken without notes.

We have them do a camera scan of their work area, and it is recorded for me to view later. Unfortunately, most of them did not do the scan properly on their first practice quiz, so they get to do another one. They did not show their desks or monitors (they are supposed to use a mirror to do this) to demonstrate an absence of sticky notes and so on. The software also requires the web cam be on during the test and it monitors head and eye movements as well as the presence of other people in the room and background noise. I had to inform them that having a TV or music on in the background during a test will "flag" them, as will taking the test in a room with people coming in and out. It is not going to be fun to examine the flagged files by scrolling through the test recordings to see how many are actually cheating versus simply not following instructions.

It is so much easier to proctor exams while in the room with all of them. Cheating still happens, but it is easier to discourage and catch it in person.

I suspect your exam is a rather different kind of test than what we give large groups of freshman pre-health science students in intro classes that are very focused on vocabulary building and basic anatomy and physiological concepts.

There was an issue with a similar exam set up here in the UK for a law exam. Lasted 3 hours and students were not allowed to be away from the computer otherwise they were disqualified i.e. no bathroom breaks. Led to students peeing in bottles in front of the computer.

They have had issues with this with US law exams given in person too. Most people can go three hours without peeing, but some folks had a lot of coffee or are pregnant or have teacup bladders or something.

Seems like exams could be given in more reasonable segments where there are natural "break points" before a new set of questions is presented.

The biggest issue is women who are menstruating, as tampons often have to be changed more frequently. I guess there was some problem quite recently with "authorized sanitary products" being distributed during exams and women not being allowed to bring their own, but a woman's choice of brands and type of product tends to be highly personal and driven by her own anatomy and physiology, shall we say. But I suppose someone will try to smuggle a phone or notes in with their products or during bathroom breaks, so it's probably a real PITA to prevent cheating without discriminating against people for their biology.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/08/01/Texas-tampon-bar-exam/

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Roxxsmom said:
What ticks me off most, though, are the politicians and media pundits who are whipping these people into an angry, ignorant frenzy over measures meant to keep them, and other people, safe.
This ^

Trump is stirring these people up, convincing them the masks and the shutdowns are a plot against Trump and unneeded (Trump's delusional beliefs).

Here are some quotes the idiots posted in my neighborhood forum. Sorry to post so many but they are all examples of the arguments anti-vaxxers and now COVID deniers are amplifying all over social media:
Debunked? Conspiracy? Scientists?
Like those who pushed the proven super wrong Imperial Model picked by Fauci and Birx to put us in lockdown; like those who played and inflated numbers, quietly now revising organic Covid deaths in CDC site down to 6% of the original total, 9,000 instead of the whole 160,000; like those “experts” who tried to silence doctors using HCQ and zinc successfully on their patients; like those who pretend not to know that the National Vaccination Injury Protection Funds already distributed over 4 billion dollars to victims?
Facts are not conspiracies, only those with an agenda to deny certain facts resort to calling facts conspiracies when certain facts do not fit in their agenda perspective.
Certain Governors have mandated draconian restrictions and have allowed riots to loot and burn businesses, injure and kill young, old, black, white ... refusing federal help to stop the violence in their cities. Hope the President use the Insurrection Act at this point.
pl stop attacking members like Olga simply bc they expand their medical research outside medical “experts” promoted by mainstream media.
Do you deny CDC lowering organic Covid deaths to 9,000, 6% of what they originally reported?
Do you deny that in WA state there have been 1,905 total Covid deaths, mostly over 80 years old in nursing homes, population 7.5 million?
Do you deny scientific knowledge from medical doctors from Stanford and Yale?
Do you deny censure of the many medical doctors treating patients and talking about successful treatment?
Oh, wait, what does not fit your agenda is a conspiracy, I get it.
You simply can't reach people who believe this stuff.

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
COVID-19 Can Wreck Your Heart, Even if You Haven’t Had Any Symptoms

Scientific American said:

Here’s the background: Myocarditis appears to result from the direct infection of the virus attacking the heart, or possibly as a consequence of the inflammation triggered by the body’s overly aggressive immune response. And it is not age-specific: In The Lancet, doctors recently reported on an 11-year-old child with multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS-C)—a rare illness—who died of myocarditis and heart failure. At autopsy, pathologists were able to identify coronavirus particles present in the child’s cardiac tissue, helping to explain the virus’ direct involvement in her death. In fact, researchers are reporting the presence of viral protein in the actual heart muscle, of six deceased patients. Of note is the fact that these patients were documented to have died of lung failure, having had neither clinical signs of heart involvement, nor a prior history of cardiac disease.

Ossama Samuel, associate chief of cardiology at Mount Sinai Beth Israel in New York, told me about a cluster of younger adults developing myocarditis, some of them a month or so after they had recovered from COVID-19. One patient, who developed myocarditis four weeks after believing he had recovered from the virus, responded to a course of steroid treatment only to develop a recurrence in the form of pericarditis (an inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart). A second patient, in her 40s, now has reduced heart function from myocarditis, and a third—an athletic man in his 40s—is experiencing recurring and dangerous ventricular heart rhythms, necessitating that he wear a LifeVest defibrillator for protection. His MRI also demonstrates fibrosis and scarring of his heart muscle, which may be permanent, and he may ultimately require placement of a permanent defibrillator.

This is an incredibly tricky diagnosis. Patients with myocarditis often experience symptoms like shortness of breath, chest pain, fever and fatigue—while some have no symptoms at all. J.N., a health care provider who asked that his full name not be used, told me that COVID-19 symptoms first appeared in his case in late March. He ultimately was hospitalized at Mount Sinai Medical Center after developing unrelenting fevers spiking to 104 degrees, chest tightness, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

“Even the Advil and acetaminophen wouldn’t help my fevers,” said J.N. Just 34 years old, he was diagnosed with COVID-induced myocarditis and severe heart failure. Doctors admitted him to the intensive care unit and placed him on a lifesaving intra-aortic balloon pump due to the very poor function of his heart. He spent two weeks in the hospital, has suffered recurrences since his discharge, and now says, “I’m very careful. I’m very concerned about the length of time I’ve been feeling sick, and if these symptoms are lifelong or will go away anytime soon.” J.N. said that everyday activities, like carrying his one-year-old daughter up a flight of stairs, leave him feeling winded and fatigued. He has been unable to work since March.

Well, that’s depressing. Stay safe, AW!!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As if I didn't hate Trump enough, I sincerely believe he diverted my and many other provider's flu vaccine orders. I was supposed to get 300 doses of flu vaccine today. Starting tomorrow I had a dozen flu clinics scheduled for September.

Supposedly I will get it by Oct 2nd. I contacted my rep and she contacted them. They said they would expedite the order but still wouldn't give a firm date. That could mean they really will get me the vaccine sooner or they are just brushing me off.

I checked on the CDC website and there is no shortage of vaccine. So I'm not worried I won't get it, but this is maddening. The only thing I did find was that the CDC had bought up more than a million doses of vaccine.

It's an odd news report since the CDC has for the last decade guaranteed a minimum purchase to stabilize the vaccine market. They have never "bought" vaccine doses at the beginning of flu vaccine season, let alone more than a million and there was no logical reason for it.

The providers like myself ordered our supplies last year! Clearly this CDC order was a current diversion of doses. And why? There's no shortage of vaccine and what is the CDC going to do with the doses? In my I-hate-Trump mind this was no more than a publicity stunt to make it look like Trump was taking action.

I'm hoping I can get some news agency or reporter to investigate.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
As if I didn't hate Trump enough, I sincerely believe he diverted my and many other provider's flu vaccine orders. I was supposed to get 300 doses of flu vaccine today. Starting tomorrow I had a dozen flu clinics scheduled for September.

Supposedly I will get it by Oct 2nd. I contacted my rep and she contacted them. They said they would expedite the order but still wouldn't give a firm date. That could mean they really will get me the vaccine sooner or they are just brushing me off.

I checked on the CDC website and there is no shortage of vaccine. So I'm not worried I won't get it, but this is maddening. The only thing I did find was that the CDC had bought up more than a million doses of vaccine.

It's an odd news report since the CDC has for the last decade guaranteed a minimum purchase to stabilize the vaccine market. They have never "bought" vaccine doses at the beginning of flu vaccine season, let alone more than a million and there was no logical reason for it.

The providers like myself ordered our supplies last year! Clearly this CDC order was a current diversion of doses. And why? There's no shortage of vaccine and what is the CDC going to do with the doses? In my I-hate-Trump mind this was no more than a publicity stunt to make it look like Trump was taking action.

I'm hoping I can get some news agency or reporter to investigate.

It kind of makes me wonder if they want high flu numbers to support the right-wing "coronavirus isn't worse than the flu" narrative. But no, even they couldn't be that evil. Occam's razor suggests they are just uncoordinated and incompetent, because Trump has already purged everyone who has any initiative or knowledge.

On the plus side, the flu season has been weirdly mild in the southern Hemisphere during their winter this year, so maybe the reduced travel and social distancing will keep it from being as big an issue here as usual. However, I still want to get a flu shot, and everyone else should too. The last thing our health care system (and vulnerable people) need are a bunch of flu cases taxing health care resources and increasing the demand for testing during the covid crisis. And what if someone got covid and flu at the same time? Double trouble for sure.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump's brain doesn't think in the complex concepts that it would take to devise a conspiracy like that. The conspiracies he believes are ones other people contrived.

Flu should be milder in numbers of cases anywhere masks and social distancing are in effect.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
But no, even they couldn't be that evil.

I have absolutely no problem believing they could be that evil. Although I tend to see it as wanting people to die of flu so they can suggest covid deaths were really flu deaths.

I still want to get a flu shot, and everyone else should too.

Me, too, although I don't want to go out to do it. :) :(

The Kid has to get a flu shot before going back to in-person school, which HAHAHAHA and also isn't schedule to happen until sometime in 2021.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm back on forth on the Machiavellian versus bumbling incompetence hypotheses. The end effects could be the same--a civilization, and its institutions, gradually crumbling and an increasing number of people who mistrust the government and its institutions as the wealth becomes more and more concentrated in the hands of those who had an advantage going in. Entropy is the default state. It's always easier to destroy something than it is to create or maintain it. It takes money, effort, resources, and leadership to build a civilization, but the GOP seems to be the party of entropy, whether it be by intent or incompetence.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I heard that on the local news with a [stupid in my opinion] comment that some people preferred free choice. No they didn't, they were in denial it would kill any of them.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

I saw that about the death. There were certainly be more.

But the CDC has announced that states should prepare for a coronavirus vaccine as early as late October.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...al-vaccine-distribution-starting-in-late-octo

Given that the CDC appears to be a partisan tool of Trump's administration now, I am a bit skeptical that the thing will be in any way ready and also suspicious of their timing.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In Trumps dreams this will be an Oct surprise.

There's not much you can do to get ready ahead of time for a mass vaccination program. We've already been through it in 2009 so plans are in place. People were advised a month or more ago to make sure we had syringes and other supplies on hand. I do because I bought supplies fearing there would be a run on syringes at the last minute like there was with PPE. So I have enough for flu vaccine and extra because in 2009 the health department dispensed awful syringes with the 2009 vaccine. I didn't use them.

I should be in the system because I vaccinate EMS providers. Healthcare providers are first in line along with high risk folks.

I suspect a lot of this is hype so Trump can convince people he really is taking care of the pandemic. It's like his believing he saved tens of thousands by banning a few Chinese travelers.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I heard that on the local news with a [stupid in my opinion] comment that some people preferred free choice. No they didn't, they were in denial it would kill any of them.

I saw that about the death. There were certainly be more.
Forgot the footnote that with the 50 cases in Minnesota that can be traced to Sturgis, they're starting to see secondary spread. So yay free choice. :sarcasm

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Stockpiling it for themselves and the minions, perhaps?

I'm not allowed to get my flu-shot before halfway November to give the health-risks patients a chance to get it first. My mom will be getting hers first then. Still trying to convince dad to get it also. Both are in the risk category due to age but dad can be such 'a man' when it comes to medicine.

I'm hoping there will still be flu-shots left for me in November. Most of the time there are, but there have been years where the supply had run out before the demand did. But since they're already advising everybody above 60 to get their shot this year, I might miss out.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
The husband's oldest nephew and his roommate got diagnosed with COVID at their college (OSU).

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Trump just killing people in blue states again. Still.

Trump Administration Takes Action To Cut More Federal Funds To NYC, Affecting School, Subway Cleanings: MTA Chairman Patrick Foye Says Message From Washington To MTA Customers, Employees Is 'Drop Dead'

The Trump administration is taking action to cut more federal funds to New York City, which would affect how schools and subways get cleaned.

New York has already gotten $1.3 billion from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and will likely need more, but now, FEMA will be taking away funds, CBS2’s Dick Brennan reports.

FEMA had been helping cover costs of disinfecting schools, subways and other areas, like government offices.

Now, they will pull funding, claiming they don’t qualify as emergency protective measures.

The president was in Pennsylvania for an airport rally Thursday, bragging about his plans to take funding from New York and three other cities — Washington, Seattle and Portland.

“These people are crazy,” Trump told the crowd. “Now what we’re doing is we’re holding back funds for cities that don’t know what they are doing where they allow crime to run rampant.”

Earlier this year, the president also threatened to strip funding from so-called sanctuary cities. Under the Constitution, state funds are controlled by Congress, not the president.

“He does not have the authority to defund any cities in this nation,” Congresswoman Yvette Clark said.

As for the new FEMA cuts, they are nationwide, but New York is hardest hit, followed by California.

Of course. Because Trump acts only out of vanity, greed, or vengeance. And the GOP shrugs, because they are as sick as he is.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump just killing people in blue states again. Still.

Trump Administration Takes Action To Cut More Federal Funds To NYC, Affecting School, Subway Cleanings: MTA Chairman Patrick Foye Says Message From Washington To MTA Customers, Employees Is 'Drop Dead'

Of course. Because Trump acts only out of vanity, greed, or vengeance. And the GOP shrugs, because they are as sick as he is.
Must be why de Blasio was on the news today saying Trump couldn't do that. Also in our state, AG Ferguson has already started at least one related lawsuit so he was also interviewed.

I don't think Trump cares how much taxpayer money he spends in these lawsuits. It's all about him prancing on the Trump Show stage.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From that Twitter feed in Lizmonster's post:
One person said don't be surprised if it is their height relative to ours and that their particles drop.
That's something I hadn't thought of. I was going with what we know about TB, younger kids don't cough hard enough to aerosolize the droplets.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
From that Twitter feed in Lizmonster's post:That's something I hadn't thought of. I was going with what we know about TB, younger kids don't cough hard enough to aerosolize the droplets.

Either way, it'd be interesting if it turned out to basically be a size thing. Which I guess makes sense for communication that's more aerosol than tactile.