Talking animals in an otherwise "serious" fantasy world, tonally could it work?

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
connormuldowneydigitalshowcase.wordpress.com
Fair warning, long post ahead.

I would like to introduce a dilemma: the David Foster Wallace paradox. In essence, the advice given to fantasy writers (from articles I’ve read, etc., I don’t have an agent or an editor yet) is often don’t try to be too serious, fantasy is a pulp genre and you’re not David Foster Wallace. However, what makes Wallace’s Infinite Jest such a classic is that Wallace included strange, arguably “pulpy” idiosyncrasies that lend Infinite Jest its personality. He just got away with breaking the rules because, frankly, he is a genius. Thus, advice warning fantasy writers to stick to pulp is a paradox, unless you somehow know you are a genius, which anyone with a healthy ego and a grounded sense of self does not.

I am currently working on a fantasy book called Fall’s End. Fall’s End is a magical atoll where some of the most dangerous wild animals on Planet Earth roam. Because of a complex history at the atoll, there is constant, often violent political conflict between different groups (environmental extremists, imperialists, etc.). The book will feature adult themes regarding political optics/strategy, bodily autonomy, and corruption. A question has been stinging in the back of my mind, though; am I taking this all too seriously?

There is “serious” fantasy. A Song of Ice and Fire immediately comes to mind. However, I would also bring up The Traitor Baru Cormorant, an excellent fantasy book about a tax attorney trying to overthrow a corrupt government. Traitor Baru gets more nakedly political and adult than almost any book I’ve read, fantasy or otherwise, and I adore the audacity. That said, the worlds in both examples are fairly grounded. ASoIaF has dragons, but the dragons don’t talk. I can’t really picture a talking dragon fitting the tone of ASoIaF.

In contrast, Fall’s End has a lot of zany creatures who talk. The Merekroks, for example, are a hybrid of a crocodile and a meerkat. I could easily make everyone human (or at least a facsimile of a human, ‘elves’ are easier to ‘take seriously’ than talking crocodiles), but part of the satire and aesthetic I am going for comes from the specific designs of the characters. For instance, “Tatters” is a three foot tall Merekrok anarcho-syndicalism advocate (though in my world those who follow in that political ideology are referred to as "Sky Swords," it'd be lazy world building if the political ideologies had the same names as they do in the real world). I am using his design specifically to parody the juxtaposition of aggressive, postering strength (crocodile half) and meek nerdiness (meerkat half) that is required to be an “expert political debater.” It’s an intentional contrast of predator and prey I couldn't really achieve using a human.

For context, the animals are very "human-like," they wear clothes and have social structures, but most of them are based on animals, or are "alien" at least, and on top of that many have exaggerated features to emphasize some point I am making about something I see in real life. A lot of my characters wouldn’t really fit in either a kids fantasy series like Guardians of Ga’hoole (a series about talking owls) or an adult book like Traitor Baru, but rather in the impressionistic political satirical cartoons Gerald Anthony Scarfe might dream up. I say this not to brag about how “unique” Fall’s End is, but more as a genuine concern regarding tone. I feel I’ve written myself into a corner a little; I’ve devised exaggerated, almost cartoonish, satirical creature designs, but I want readers to care about the dreams, passions, and desires of the characters they belong to. Maybe this is a “have your cake and eat it too” issue, but I’d be sad to see my creatures thrown back into the abyss of rejected ideas (though I understand part of writing is killing your darlings).

Now, I’m not expecting everyone to take everything in Fall’s End seriously. In fact, many of the absurd character designs I’ve come up with (the best of which I’m proud of and will not give away for free here) are meant to be funny. However, there are still serious moments in the book, and I want people to have a genuine emotional attachment to the characters, even if they are talking animals. I feel like I have three options; (1) keep the pulp elements intact, but take out the more “mature” themes save for subtle implications, aim for a young demographic, (2) make a “serious” fantasy series but remove a lot of elements that give Fall’s End its personality, aim for an adult demographic, or (3) make exactly the kind of book I want to make, ignoring everyone else’s perceptions, but have a small potential target audience of hipsters in their 20s and 30s (which hey, that’s a market too, and probably the group of people I’m most similar to, but it’s a hard sell).

Personally, I would love to read more fiction like what I want to make with Fall’s End, but for all my creativity, I sometimes struggle to “read a room.” If I pitch Fall’s End to literary agents, I want to be professional, and not knowing the target demographic of your own book reeks of amateurism. Right now, my target demographic is me and what I like, but that's hardly a sustainable readership. I'd love to hit the 20-30 year old market, but even they might find the talking animals a bit childish. Anyone else writing in a “pulp” genre ever feel the same way? Maybe some of you even have recommendations of “pulpy” fantasy books that still include mature themes in a way that is tasteful, and if so I’d love to hear those recommendations. I've seen some short stories on Beneath Ceaseless Skies with similarly "absurd" fantasy races but never a full novel or anything fitting the bill.

I’m eager to hear feedback on this. I haven’t found a way out of the David Foster Wallace paradox yet, but maybe one of you can. I also welcome criticism, on Fall’s End as well as the content and wording of this thread.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I admit I skimmed a bit, but you absolutely can have anthropomorphic/talking animals (or animal-like races) in a book with serious moments. And not just in kids' fiction. Many adult fantasy or even SF novels have telepathic or speaking "smart"/"uplifted" animal companions or whole races that either are animal-based or resemble them (the horses in Valdemar, numerous instances of sapient or rider-bonded dragons, even more numerous instances of animal familiars, etc.)

You can also have serious moments in an otherwise humorous book; Terry Pratchett was an absolute master of this.

As for recommendations... not really pulp, but some adult books with talking animals/animalesque races:

Robert Repino's Mort(e): the world's animals undergo anthropomorphic changes and hunt down humans to near-extinction... and one former housecat wonders why.

Clifford D. Simak's City: a classic collection of short stories about the fall of humans and the rise of the intelligent animals, assisted by robots, that rise in their wake.

Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep: solid SF where many of the aliens aren't humanoid; there are even sapient trees. The main aliens, though, are a preindustrial race of doglike beings who form collective pack intelligences.

T. H. White's The Once and Future King: Though played a bit for laughs, the early segments where young Arthur is transformed into animals to be taught lessons by Merlin has some definite barbs under the surface.

Eve Forward's Animist: In a world with several anthropmorphic sentient races, a human mage finds an unlikely familiar in a tiny rat.

Brooke Bolander's "The Only Harmless Great Thing": An award-winning novella set in an alternate history where elephants are acknowledged to be sapient, communicating through sign language, but are still exploited by humans... until one elephant finally has enough.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does your world also have humans? Or just anthropomorphized animals? If both, do they interact?

The former trope has some stand-out fantasy examples. The house cats of Ted Williams' "Tailchaser's Song" have a rich social life. They co-exist with people, but essentially don't interact with them in any way significant to the plot (that I recall anyway). The rabbits of Richard Adams' "Watership Down" live in fear of people and the disruption they cause, but likewise have a rich society. And, George Orwell's "Animal Farm", of course. All three are perhaps more "serious" / dark than what I think you're going for, but were quite well-regarded.

As for the latter trope in fantasy, Walter Wangerin Jr.'s "The Book of the Dun Cow" comes to mind. It's a fable with just talking animals, facing a classic showdown with evil. Often darkly humorous, but mostly a serious allegory that's anything but childish.

I second Brightdreamer's recommendation of "A Fire Upon the Deep". One of my top ten favorite SF novels. Its prequel, "A Deepness in the Sky", introduces us to a species of intelligent spider-like beings, with humans, and is also quite good IMO. For a more recent SF work where intelligent insects and humans interact, I liked Adrian Tchaikovsky's "Children of Time".

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Does your world also have humans? Or just anthropomorphized animals? If both, do they interact?

The former trope has some stand-out fantasy examples. The house cats of Ted Williams' "Tailchaser's Song" have a rich social life. They co-exist with people, but essentially don't interact with them in any way significant to the plot (that I recall anyway). The rabbits of Richard Adams' "Watership Down" live in fear of people and the disruption they cause, but likewise have a rich society. And, George Orwell's "Animal Farm", of course. All three are perhaps more "serious" / dark then what I think you're going for, but were quite well-regarded.

There have even been non-specfic books with animal stars. Akif Pirincci's Felidae (first of a series, IIRC, though I only read the first) stars a cat investigating the murder of another cat in his yard. The felines live among people in their houses and towns, and can harbor feelings (good or ill) toward them, but also have their own culture and world... and their own killers. Definitely not a book for little kids, either.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Felidae has an animated movie adaption, very much not for kids! The Plague Dogs is among the same lines, but in those the animals talk to each other and not to humans.

A lot of people think certain tropes or topics are inherently not serious and are for kids. Animation is one of these, another being talking animals or puppets. But if you look at The Dark Crystal, that's a very serious dark fantasy that is solely made with puppets of all sorts. It's a serious fantasy world because of the subject and tone. Yes, some things are very goofy (like Fizzgig and Kira's weird calls to animals) but very few things are 100% serious 100% of the time. asoiaf's dragons don't talk because grrm wanted them to be scientifically accurate, and that's fine. That's also why they're technically wyverns, not dragons, since there are no hexapodal animals IRL. Well that's not true, there are bugs that are, but there are no chordates with 4. Well that's also not true, there's fish with 6 fins, are those limbs? grrm said "I want my dragons to be realistic" but he also made them live hundreds of years and breathe fire, there also doesn't seem to be any other animals related to them. Dinosaurs are extinct but we have animals that are related to them (birds!) and we can see where and how they branched off through evolution. There's no such thing for grrm's dragons. And that's fine! They don't have to be 100% science based, but he decided he didn't want them to talk, so they don't. But if they did it wouldn't make the story any less serious, or if they had 6 limbs, or were hot pink, or as big as a mountain or small as a cat. The story is serious because of the tone and themes and what the characters deal with.

If you haven't already, you should read The Island of Dr Moreau. It has "talking animals" and is a serious book.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
See, I'd go with option three, but it's quite possible that I am one of those falling into the tiny twenty-thirty something hipster demographic that is the target market for books about anarchosyndicalist half-crocodile meerkats. But then, my main WIP is a way too self-indulgent novella about dissolute scenester space dinosaurs, that is meant to be a serious meditation on empathy for the other, but might also fairly be called completely lurid trash. So I know the feeling.

I think we categorised Serious Literary Fiction as being about middle-aged English lit professors having torrid affairs with their grad students, whereas Genre Fiction was about space squids. This raised the question for me: is there room for work about middle-aged English lit professors having torrid affairs with space squids?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This raised the question for me: is there room for work about middle-aged English lit professors having torrid affairs with space squids?

Chuck Tingle says oh hell yes, in the butt!

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Chuck Tingle says oh hell yes, in the butt!
tbf I think that'd be not meta enough for America's greatest living author. Tingle's version would be more like, middle-aged literary professors and the sentient manifestation of the idea of space squid fiction.

I agree with all of the recommendations, btw. And if we're talking lurid, unapologetic pulp genre fiction (though not with talking animals) that is nevertheless deadly serious about being what it is, I don't think you can go past Alfred Bester, Cordwainer Smith, and some of the other bad boys of 50s sci fi.

ETA: come to think of it, though, Cordwainer Smith has several stories about sentient cats.

Last edited:

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
To answer “introversion’s” question: There are species very close to humans (bhuidski are nature spirits that are basically humans with light green skin) but nothing that is a one-to-one comparison to humans. However, all of the intelligent animals are functionally treated as humans. No one is gonna be like “that jaguar man is a wild animal!” that would be a bit frowned upon in this world. It’s fairly egalitarian race wise, though there is ideological conflict between races it’s not “race based,” all species that wear clothes and talk are treated basically like humans would be treated

JohnLine

Owns a pen.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Write the book you want to write. You can talk about limiting your market as much as you want, but if the book isn't the absolute best you can write it, that will hurt it so much more.

On a side note, I've been watching a few youtube channels by literary agents turned writers, and I've noticed they always pitch their own books as known-famous-story with twist.

As for pulp with serious moments try reading John Scalzi (Agent to the Stars/Fuzzy Nation/The Android's Dream)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've certainly read fantasy novels that are not light or humorous fantasy, or especially fairy-tale-like that have races of intelligent people who are essentially similar to felines, canines, badgers, foxes etc. the way humans are similar to chimps or gorillas. I don't know what you mean by "serious" exactly. Do you mean non comedic, or low- magic setting or something else?

I think it can work to have intelligent animals that are animal like and can communicate as well. "Wise beasts," spirit animals, animal spirits, enchanted animals etc. are so ubiquitous in myth, legend etc. that most readers of fantasy will accept them if they fit into the story in a meaningful way.

Some examples of fantasy novels on my shelves that incorporate animal like beings or intelligent (or sometimes semi intelligent) animals include:

Novels set in Mercedes Lacke's Valdemar. Not just her horselike companions, but there are people who psychically bond with semi-intelligent raptors. Also intelligent gryphons.

Jay Lake's Green Universe novels had cat like humanoids

T Kingfisher (also writes as Ursula Vernon) has several novels (such as her Clocktaur Wars books) with a race of beings called "gnolls," which are badgerlike

Jane Lindskild's Firekeeper series has a race of fully sapient wolves who are still very wolf like (run on all fours, have a breeding pair pack structure, and live in the woods), along with other animals that are more intelligent than the norm for their types.

Susan Dexter's Warhorse of Esdragon books center around a sapient, immortal horse

Robin Hobb's Fitz and Fool books are set in a pretty serious, even darkish, fantasy world where some people have a gift that allows them to form empathic bonds with animals, who are clearly intelligent and capable of talking to "their" humans. Also, her Liveship books and Dragon Keepers books feature intelligent dragons that have their own agenda when they form bonds with humans. Sort of the opposite of Pern, where the humans engineered the dragons. Here the dragons turn their humans into pets, and the results aren't always nice for the humans.

Many Urban Fantasy novels feature protagonists who have animal companions that are intelligent.

Some of Tamara Pierce's books have intelligent animals

Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials series and the sequel series he is publishing now takes place in a parallel Earth and has a race of intelligent bears, plus humans have "daemons," which take the form of animal companions (and is really their externalized soul). Technically, it's a kid's series (though the sequel is more YA or adult, as Lyra has grown up by then), but it deals with some pretty dark, serious themes.

Of course, there are countless tales like the Redwall books where the focus is on anthropomorphized animals that wear clothes and act more like people, but I assume that's not what you are looking for. Also, there are numerous books told from the viewpoint of animals that are less anthropomorphized, in that they live and act like animals except for having their own internal narrative that is obviously filtered through eyes of a human storyteller. Watership Down comes to mind here, or Tailchaser's Song. Animals uplifted to full sapience also figure into SF a lot.

I know I've read many others over the years, but the names of the authors or titles of the book elude me.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I think the main problem with talking animals for adult stories is that our suspension of disbelief generally gets tripped up on our awareness of animal mouths. Cats, dogs, horses, squirrels, snakes, all of them have mouths that are too different from our own sense of how we make sounds like p, f, th, l, etc, so unless the animals use (for example) telepathy, literally talking animals can be too jarring to good immersion in the story. (Although parrots and ravens can make very convincing human speech, and their mouth are nothing like ours. They do it all in their throats, fwiw)

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
(Although parrots and ravens can make very convincing human speech, and their mouth are nothing like ours. They do it all in their throats, fwiw)

I'm glad you mentioned birds or else I would lol. They don't have a larynx, they have a syrinx*, which allows them to make a lot of different sounds, including singing continuous notes while breathing, and they can reproduce some of the sounds we make without having a soft, wet mouth or teeth. It's hard to know the theoretical limit of what they can do since birds aren't intelligent enough to have "language" as we know it, but my birds are magical and intelligent so it's easier to get away with it. Human bodies trying to speak bird, though, is an entirely different story.

An animal (such as a dragon or a griffon) could talk, but it wouldn't sound 100% the same as a human, so mentioning their "accent" would make it more believable. Any sort of fantasy story has some suspension of disbelief, and it needs to be believable with the rest of the world. If Jon Snow's direwolf starts talking in the next book it would be very weird and not align everything we've seen so far, but it would probably fit into Harry Potter since things are more "soft magic"-y fantastical.

*there's some exceptions, like new world vultures, which is why they hiss and such

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think the main problem with talking animals for adult stories is that our suspension of disbelief generally gets tripped up on our awareness of animal mouths. Cats, dogs, horses, squirrels, snakes, all of them have mouths that are too different from our own sense of how we make sounds like p, f, th, l, etc, so unless the animals use (for example) telepathy, literally talking animals can be too jarring to good immersion in the story. (Although parrots and ravens can make very convincing human speech, and their mouth are nothing like ours. They do it all in their throats, fwiw)

This is probably why many fantasy novels have mind speech for communicating with intelligent animals, or else the animals have their own language that some humans can speak.

But if it's due to an enchantment, or a spirit being or the avatar of a god, I'd put it down to a fantasy element.

As for limiting your marked by having smart animals or animal-like beings? It might possibly. They aren't everyone's cup of tea*. But neither are dragons, or knights in shining armor, or quasi-European medieval societies, or stories with elves, or fantasy stories with gunpowder weapons, or stories taking place in a magical school, or stories about long journeys, or stories filled with political intrigue, or romantic subplots etc. Fantasy is an incredibly diverse genre, so I don't think there really is a "generic" formula that appeals to everyone. For many authors, it's a matter of finding a niche they do well and gradually establishing a fan base.

A handful of really lucky ones hit on something where everything comes together and their work becomes a bestseller. I don't know if you can line up fantasy elements and predict which of those will create that perfect storm at any given moment in time.

*They are something I do enjoy. I love smart animals as characters and/or world building elements, though I tend to prefer them to be good representatives of their kind. Wolves that nod and shrug like humans, or people who have an outdated idea how wolf packs work, or whose humanoid animal characters are just humans in fur suits don't appeal to me as much.

Last edited:

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website

I appreciate everyone else’s comments, but this is the most interesting one by far. If I can make different languages based on different animals but have some universal form of communication that would actually lead to a lot of interesting possibilities. Thank you for bringing this up I literally didn’t even think of this. But that might be a huge reason why there would be a disconnect if say a dragon talked like a human in ASOIAF. Congratulations, this is the best comment on this thread

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Oh come on, the suspension of disbelief is the point where you question the physics of animals speaking? Like that’s the line in the sand, but alien races, FTL travel, and all sorts of magic are okay? I’m not buying that for a second.

Plenty of successful talking-animals novels have already been brought up, like someone already brought up Mort(e), which is a good example of a relatively recent, serious book with animal main characters. There’s also King of the Dogs, Queen of the Cats, a sci-fi novella that came out in January—that one I haven’t read. And I swear I saw another one recently about anthropomorphized dogs in 1800s New York (dammit, I can’t find it again, that’ll teach me to not mark books in Goodreads as soon as I come across them). Oh oh, and as a small example, I just finished the book The Princess Beard, which features a one-eyed parrot as the captain of a pirate ship (this is very definitely not a serious book). Anyway, these are all recent examples. So it’s entirely possible to sell a book aimed at adults that features talking animals.

All that said, talking animal stories can be a hard sell, and I suspect at least some of that is because it’s a common trope, which means there are a lot of not-so-great talking animal stories being shopped around. Clarkesworld mentions talking cats (or swords) in their list of hard sells, though Strange Horizons’ list doesn’t mention talking animals. (Side note: it does contain my all-time favorite hard-sell listing: “35. [FONT=&quot]Twee little fairies with wings fly around being twee.” I admit I only brought up Strange Horizons’ list at all because of that, I never get tired of it.)

Anyway, as for which option you should go with, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with moving in a direction that you think might be more salable. But I wouldn’t go in a certain direction only because I think it will sell, even though I’m not wild about that option. If you really want the story to be a certain way, trying to squash it into being a different type of story isn’t likely to turn out well. Might as well write what you want, see what happens, then move on if this one doesn’t sell.

(Full disclosure, one of my faves of my own stories starts with a raven riding a bicycle, so I’m not unbiased here myself.)[/FONT]

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Everyone has their own suspension of disbelief threshold.

For myself, talking animals would only trip it if the context doesn't at all support it. But, then, growing up Tailchaser's Song was my favorite novel; I'm fully convinced I would've been up to my scalp in the Warriors series fandom and/or Wings of Fire had I been a modern youngster.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
All that said, talking animal stories can be a hard sell, and I suspect at least some of that is because it’s a common trope, which means there are a lot of not-so-great talking animal stories being shopped around. Clarkesworld mentions talking cats (or swords) in their list of hard sells, though Strange Horizons’ list doesn’t mention talking animals. (Side note: it does contain my all-time favorite hard-sell listing: “35. [FONT="]Twee little fairies with wings fly around being twee.” I admit I only brought up Strange Horizons’ list at all because of that, I never get tired of it.)

I love that one too. :ROFL:

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
In terms of the “mechanics” of animals talking, it’s not so much about the suspension of disbelief for me as much as making the world feel “lived in.” And I know that with fantasy, it’s meant to be unrealistic, but for me personally I do like my world to feel at least thought out. Some people care about that less, and I don’t think there’s a “right answer.”

And I think about people taking it seriously, I think honestly on some level it hurts my feelings a little that fantasy gets seen as a “lesser” genre that isn’t considered “high brow.” I know I shouldn’t care what people think, (and some people get black lung working in coal mines, so hurt feelings are really nothing in the long term, no violins required for my ego) but still, it’s just a bit frustrating that I often see advice to NOT try to make something serious. I feel fantasy can be serious, and work, and I’m glad the posters on this thread feel the same.

Last edited:

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
See, I'd go with option three, but it's quite possible that I am one of those falling into the tiny twenty-thirty something hipster demographic that is the target market for books about anarchosyndicalist half-crocodile meerkats. But then, my main WIP is a way too self-indulgent novella about dissolute scenester space dinosaurs, that is meant to be a serious meditation on empathy for the other, but might also fairly be called completely lurid trash. So I know the feeling.

I think we categorised Serious Literary Fiction as being about middle-aged English lit professors having torrid affairs with their grad students, whereas Genre Fiction was about space squids. This raised the question for me: is there room for work about middle-aged English lit professors having torrid affairs with space squids?

Seems this thread is dead so this will be my last post on it unless it picks back up again, but I would love to see "serious literary fiction" about space squids. I'm wondering what even really counts as "serious literary fiction," and who decides that, but that's another thread entirely.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The closest thing I can think of as SF was a series by Vonda McIntyre that featured an alien that was kind of like a giant, solitary chambered nautilus living in an asteroid. I wouldn't call the books literary fiction, though they fall under the category of thoughtful socially aware SF that was in many ways ahead of its time. Unfortunately, it is no longer in print, but I found it to be an enjoyable read.

It's possible used copies of these books are available online.

I think McIntyre, who passed away recently, was a really fine and imaginative writer, but she wasn't high volume. She was pretty well known in the 70s through the 90s, and her work was well reviewed (and she won some big awards), but she appears to have stopped writing novels after her alternative history The Moon and the Sun (also a good read, imo) was published in the late 90s. I think she also wrote some Star Trek novels.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps, if all of this happens on an island, and there is no interaction with humans, don't worry about how they speak, or what they are speaking.
Think of it as one of those CIG animal-centric films. The animals putting on a show, or running a police-station, etc. They are dressed like humans, they use human stuff.
Make them feel real, and readers won't worry too much about the mechanics.

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
See, for me, worrying about how they are speaking is actually part of the fun. Maybe my tastes are more "pulp" than I'm willing to admit, since the mechanics of a fictional world are rarely a subject of academic discussion (there's no fan wiki for "The Winter of Our Discontent," but there's one for the "Guardians of Ga'hoole").

No, I was more worried about it tonally than I was about the mechanics, finding a creative way to explain the mechanics actually gives me joy, not stress. I was more concerned readers would feel like their intelligence was being insulted that I wanted to make a serious drama with talking animals, but if this thread is any indication that shouldn't actually be an issue. The dichotomy between "serious literary fiction" and "fantasy" seems far less stark than I initially perceived, which is great for me because frankly I like weird Meerkat monsters arguing about politics.

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Brin's Uplift books have gengineered animals who are being uplifted to sentience. Chimpanzees, Dolphins and Apes.
The Chanur books by CJ Cherryh (and any of Niven's books with Kzin) have talking feline aliens.
T. Kingfisher also has a talking raven, otters, and reindeer in The Raven and the Reindeer.
You can't get much more pulpy than The Book of Skaith by Leigh Brackett and she has talking gengineered animals there.

I'd say you can do whatever you need to for your story and explain it however you want.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Brin's Uplift books have gengineered animals who are being uplifted to sentience. Chimpanzees, Dolphins and Apes.
The Chanur books by CJ Cherryh (and any of Niven's books with Kzin) have talking feline aliens.
T. Kingfisher also has a talking raven, otters, and reindeer in The Raven and the Reindeer.
You can't get much more pulpy than The Book of Skaith by Leigh Brackett and she has talking gengineered animals there.

I'd say you can do whatever you need to for your story and explain it however you want.

Brin's uplift universe books were good, though the series always felt rather unfinished to me. The dolphins and chimps were well done as "alien" intelligences that had been raised to full sapience via human intervention, and many of the aliens in that universe were really interesting too.

I loved Cherryh's Chanuur series. Those are one of my favorite SF series of all time, and I don't even care that cat aliens are a common motif (is that the right word, or is it a trope) in SF, and that it's really out there for a particular earthly animal type to have evolved elsewhere in the universe. She did a great job of extrapolating a lion like social system onto an alien culture, and her other aliens in that series were fascinating too. She's very good at taking alien cultures that seem "evil" at first and making them, if not sympathetic, at least comprehensible.