Telemedicine--what might doctors miss during online exams

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
It means that in the privacy of their own homes they feel safe. You can't call them out in front of the whole class, they'll never see the whole class, and the guy sitting next to him won't slap him in the head for disrespecting the teacher.

Side effects of stressed young people, stuck at home: bad attitude, bad manners.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I think you're right about that, frimble. It's also possible some of the students don't realize their actual teacher actually looks at the scan, and it's not a robot or someone who works for the software company.

I didn't call the student out individually, but in the announcement reminding the students (yet again) that they needed to use a mirror and scan their computer slowly enough to be visible to me, I reminded them that I do have to personally view the scans, and I see them performing it, so they should take that into consideration.

Also of help, perhaps, to the folks in their jammies (one had their romantic partner still sleeping in the bed next to them), and the one gal who had her web cam pause on her cleavage and, ah, pelvic area (which was clad in very tight short shorts that were like being transported back in time to the 70s). I am not of an inclination that is remotely impressed with such a view, so I don't know what she thought she was doing.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Also of help, perhaps, to the folks in their jammies (one had their romantic partner still sleeping in the bed next to them), and the one gal who had her web cam pause on her cleavage and, ah, pelvic area (which was clad in very tight short shorts that were like being transported back in time to the 70s). I am not of an inclination that is remotely impressed with such a view, so I don't know what she thought she was doing.
Yes, I suppose that a lot of them think that's it's being checked by software. Or, are thinking that it will only be checked if there's a problem of some sort.

As to the gal who paused her camera at strategic spots - perhaps she forgot who her audience was - if, for instance, she has another, non-school related web-site that appreciates shots like that, and she just did it automatically.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Another unexpected consequence of exam-proctoring software.

When looking over a flagged student's test-taking video/audio file, I heard the sound of what sounded like a child being beaten in the background. The video is focused on the poor, flinching student (who is over 18), but the audio picked up sound of a child screaming while an adult male is screaming at them, with smacking sounds. It was loud enough my spouse stuck his head in the room to see what the hell it was. It went on for several minutes until the student disconnected from the test (yes, I am letting her take it again).

So, I don't know for sure whether the adult was hitting the kid in the background hard enough to leave welts or bruises (the us official definition of abuse--you can hit your kids and verbally abuse/threaten them all you like here), but it sounded horrific to the point where I felt ill and was kind of crying. I also don't know for sure the age of the person being abused in the background.

We are mandated reporters as college teacher, which means of we have a reasonable suspicion of child abuse occurring, we must report it directly to CPS. It is also kind of a moral responsibility, imo. So I put in the call and was told, after having to explain why I was even able to witness this snippet of my poor student's home life and could hear the possible abuse without seeing it etc. I think the social worker was still confused, as she doesn't know what test proctoring software is or what it records. But since I don't have access to my student's address or family phone number, they can't follow it up.

So now I'm going back and forth with my dean and other people on campus trying to get this student's address so I can call CPS again and maybe make this report. Also the added fun is the campus remediation folks want me to share this video and audio file, but I'm not even sure it's possible with this software, as it is supposed to be confidential between student and teacher. And it's so hard doing all this via individual e-mails with people not on campus and while protecting this poor student's privacy and (hopefully) my anonymity. The last thing I need is some vengeful abusive parent trying to burn my house down or poison my pets, or even assaulting me. It also occurs to me that if the CPS can follow up, but they don't have enough hard evidence of abuse to do anything, then it could be even worse for the victim and for the other household members. I don't know this person doesn't abuse my (over 18) student too.

I know we all hear horror stories about kids being taken from loving parents because of a dog bite, a fall from a tree, a kid going to the park by themselves, or something else an overly-vigilant CPS person freaks out about, but most of the time the errors are in the other direction, because they are understaffed and funded.

This is a slice of a student's life I would never see without this software "bringing me into their homes" for the duration of an online exam. This is just the eighth of about 120 exams I need to grade, by the way, so I can't help wondering if there will be others whose background noise flag their files and it turns out to be someone committing a crime in the background. It also breaks my heart to think of the stress some families are under right now, and how hard it must be for victims of abuse at any time, but especially right now with abusive spouses and parents home most of the time and stress levels high.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Roxxsmom, I'm so sorry that you had to experience that.

You should double-check the terms of service/eula that the students had to agree to to use the proctoring software; there is probably a clause that makes exceptions for law enforcement. You could use screen recording software like OBS to record your desktop and then hit "play" on the video in question. I'd be happy to help you get that set up if you want to try that out.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If someone needs to see it, I'm sure we'll find a way. I do have screencast on my computer, which I used to record powerpoint lectures, and that would likely work for this.

Adding to the weirdness, the records office sent me the student's home address, so I could include it in the CPS report.

Well, the address is in my neighborhood. But google maps cannot find a house with that number on the street (I checked so we could avoid walking past that house when walking the dogs, since I don't want student to know where I live in case CPS comes to the door and someone in the house vows revenge on the person who turned them in).

I checked with the records office again, and that is the only one they have, and the incorrect address is listed in two separate places. The records folks at the college are checking with the high school to see if they can get something from them, but the clerk I was e-mailing with said she expects the high school records will be wrong too. So we might be at a dead end again. Even if the address is only "off" by one even number or something, the people might be reluctant to look it up. Not knowing the name of her other family members puts it at a dead end, unless the high school comes through with something.

The student did indeed go to our neighborhood high school, so I suspect her family does indeed live near where the fake address is. Whether it's a persistent confusion about their real address, or a deliberate fudging, I've no idea.

Is deliberately giving a fake address on your college paperwork a thing for some reason? Or are there really people who don't know their own actual addresses?

Assuming she is even staying with her actual parents at this time. The student herself is over 18, so who knows?

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My healthcare system/chain is starting to allow more frequent in-person visits, providing social distancing/mask rules are followed. Maybe four days before I was scheduled to be discharged from the hospital, visitors were permitted but had to follow stringent admission guidelines (no more than one person at a time, visits had to be scheduled) but I didn't think I would've had enough time to set something up for anybody, so I took a pass and waited until I got home. Because my recent issues have been blood pressure and cardiac related, the nurse practitioner I've been seeing was happy with these changes because out of the last three times we saw each other, two were in person so she was finally able to listen to my heart and get a better idea of where I stand and how I'm doing. The first was a video chat on my phone and all I could do was talk to her and describe what was going on. Pretty annoying.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, for any exam or condition that requires a doctor to auscultate or palpitate (two wonderful words, those), it seems telemedicine is lacking. Some patients may have things like sphygmomanometers, pulse oximeters, even stethoscopes at home, and they can relay information to doctors. But not everyone does, nor has the knowledge to use them properly, and not all such devices are equally accurate.

As I understand it, the yearly physical is not something health care providers encourage as much as they once did. This interests me, because I thought preventative medicine saved lives and money both, and if you don't catch something early, well...

Our Kaiser is allowing patients to come in for exams and procedures that can't be done remotely, like eye exams or my alopecia injections. They require masks and have tightened their protocols (the first time I went in, they ignored a couple that had their masks pulled down and were eating their lunch in the waiting area), but they have also gone from having someone scan your temp and asking you screening questions at the door to asking you to call and confirm that you don't have a fever or other Covid symptoms within 24 hours of going in.

Veterinarians are not doing telemedicine, from what I've seen. They're in a different situation, of course, where the patients themselves are very unlikely to transmit the virus, and vets also rely more on exams, because their patients can't tell them what symptoms they are experiencing (and owners aren't always reliable observers either). They take the patient back for their exams while the owner waits in their car, and payment and instructions/consults are done over the phone. Some vets say it's nice just to have the patient without having to deal with the owner directly, but others say it's much more inefficient to not be able to ask about things as they come up during the exam. As a pet owner, I know I sometimes remember things to ask or mention while I observe the ongoing exam.

It's also much slower, so the waits at vet clinics and emergency facilities have lengthened, and the wait for appointments have too.

I've been waiting at vet clinics a lot over the past couple of weeks, because one of our cats has just been diagnosed with a congenital heart condition and my 7-month old kelpie pup (whom I had big plans for with regards to agility and maybe herding) has just been diagnosed with hip dysplasia :cry:

Between the pet issues, and navigating the intricacies of the mandated reporting system (and its limitations) and just feeling like shit over seeing the conditions so many of my students are forced to live in (something distance technology has made me privy to), it has not been a great week. I may need to call my doctor and ask if I should up my Bupropion dosage.

I'm also sad about the way Covid has damaged my relationship with some people. Just talked to a friend who's been out of the state (in Wyoming with her parents, where she stayed after having to go home for a funeral) for a while, and she gleefully announced that she was able to head over to that Sturgis bike rally (she is also not a spring chicken being a few years older than I, who is also not a spring chicken). She grew noticeably colder when I expressed a certain amount of shock and concern over this. Sigh. So many folks I thought I knew are turning out to have not a lick of sense right now, and they are eating up very partisan crap with regards to lockdowns and risk assessment, but that's a topic for a different thread.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
MrJJ has been having shoulder problems for months now. We figured it’s a rotator cuff injury, so he’s been doing the rehabilitation exercises given to him by a PT he saw shortly before the pandemic started. But it’s been getting worse instead of better. So he made a video appointment.

I figured the appointment would be a fairly perfunctory prelude to going in for imaging. But the doctor wanted to test range of motion and joint stiffness in a way that really would have worked a whole lot better at an in-person appointment.

The good news is that MrJJ probably has frozen shoulder rather than a torn rotator cuff. The doc told him he could make an appointment to get imaging done, or if he thinks the frozen shoulder deal sounds right, he can look up exercises and stretches for that and try those and see if that helps.

Anyway, my point out of this is that frozen shoulder is a thing—I’d never heard of this before, but it so perfectly aligns with MrJJ’s issues that we now feel sure this is what he has rather than a torn rotator cuff (thankfully).

Also, stretching is important. Find a yoga series (or something) you don’t mind doing and make it part of your daily routine. I’m trying to start up my morning sun salutes routine again.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I hadn't heard of frozen shoulder either. I always think rotator cuff when I hear about shoulder pain and stiffness.

I hope that's what Mr. JJ's issues are, anyway, and exercises relieve it without a need for surgery.

Glenn Writeweller

Registered
Reaction score
A colleague of mine heads a large city mental health center. He finds that tele-medicine is wonderful for poor or very ill patients who have trouble making appointments due to transportation difficulties and costs. It increases their ability to do frequent quick check-ins and in general find it is a good thing. Psychiatrists that I know in private practice however, generally do not like the distance put between them by the technology and find it harder to read non-verbal communication. The exception is psychiatrist who serve rural areas where distances to appointments can be great and very problematic in an emergency.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Tangential, but my aunt has had a frozen shoulder. Very Not Fun to get that working again... I still think she has some limited motion in that arm.

(I also am very conscious of trying to stretch and move to keep mobility; I've watched relatives lose mobility scarily fast, like not being able to reach over their shoulder height if they don't lift their arms enough. Got an improvised routine I try to get through at least once a week, and some simple bending and stretching I try to do before bed every night.)

As for telemedicine, in my experience several doctor appointments involve minimal tangible interaction with the doctor even when they're in the room; they look at test results and barely glance up as they deliver their verdict. (And sometimes they barely look at test results, but that's another rant for another time.) So I don't see how telemedicine would alter that significantly. I can, however, see where more hands-on visits would be negatively impacted. All in all, though, it seems like one more tool in the box; sometimes it would be the right tool for the job, sometimes the wrong tool, but all in all just another tool.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I once had a frozen shoulder after a rotator cuff tear. I assumed (or was told; can't recall) that the latter caused the former. Good news is that, despite my doc and PT thinking it would not improve significantly because it's radiated tissue, I got almost full range of motion back. I hope MrJJ do at least as well.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This article isn't directly related to telemedicine, per se, but it discusses something I've been worried about since this Covid-19 crisis got underway here: people not getting needed health care because of the pandemic.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...ties-miss-needed-medical-care-during-pandemic

In some cases it's because people can't find a health care provider who is taking new patients right now. In other cases it is because people are afraid to go to the urgent care or ER with acute, even alarming, symptoms because they are afraid of being exposed to the virus or of diverting health care resources if their condition doesn't end up being a true emergency.

This latter is something that's bugged me, because over the years I, my spouse, and several other people we know have gone to the ER with symptoms that had the potential to be life threatening, but they were ultimately discharged without hospitalization with the underlying cause of the symptoms remaining mysterious. After hearing about those ER frequent fliers everyone hates, and about how difficult it is for health care providers right now, I'd feel very bad if I went to the ER with chest pains or severe stomach pains and it turns out it isn't a heart attack or appendicitis or something that needed immediate diagnosis and care.

Also, with fewer routine screenings for cancer and other diseases (that require seemingly healthy people, or people with certain symptoms, to come in for physical procedures or tests) means there may be a bunch of later-stage disease diagnosed down the road.

Our health care plan charges a 100 dollar emergency visit co-pay if you aren't hospitalized, which I gather is to discourage frivolous ER visits. We can afford that, but for some folks even 100 bucks is more than they have right now, and some plans charge far more. This also probably plays a role in some people deciding to wait it out (and maybe dying or being treated after a condition has progressed and become more expensive and invasive to treat), though that's an issue that goes beyond the current crisis.

Last edited: