Serial September - 500 words a day writing/editing - all genres welcome!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Great progress, everyone. I have been tinkering with some query stuff, but honestly, I don't feel like I'm moving forward very much. I've been brainstorming some tasks I can do while I wait on novel feedback from the rest of my beta readers (one or two have already responded, and I love them very much) as there's only so much more rearranging of the query and synopsis I can take.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
*sneaks in and sits in the back*

Um...can I join in?

I'm dreadful about keeping up with daily stuff but I really need to. My score keeping is all over the map. Sometimes I gauge by chapter completion, sometimes by word count, others by sprints. Depends on my mood.

If I'm checking in every day, then I guess it needs to be word count.

Sunday's my day off from writing but I do administrative stuff and general plot/outline housekeeping so that's what got done today. Tomorrow, back to the word mines.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
:hi: bearilou! And congratulations on the housekeeping. There's more to making a book than just words.

2,029 today, and the MS is at 51,563. Which is great! Except I'm not yet at the 1/3 mark, but I always overwrite the beginning. If I can get there by about 70K, it'll probably strip down okay on revisions.

:Hug2: on the query/synopsis stuff, osg. It's never fun, but you can do it. :e2cheer:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
bearilou, I don't even count words. I take any number of words.

Which, for me, is, er, zero. It is the busy season at work... and I have many good reasons for avoidance. But FINE. Okay. I'll write something tonight, though it may be by hand. It was hard enough to write after work before work was the exact same spot I write.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Namatu, it's hard combining spaces like that. We've been working to get The Kid a desk so she can do her schoolwork somewhere she isn't used to having leisure time. Of course, so far she's been taking her classes in bed. :)

2,095 today.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I find I don't need a wholly separate space - I set the work laptop aside and it doesn't bother me to see it. But to look at a computer again so soon... I wrote three pages by hand. I think it's mostly legible too!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Welcome bearilou!

My work space and writing space are the same place, as I work from home — and have since before the pandemic. I've done okay with it being like this, except that I have been having issues finding time TO write with such a heavy workload. Things are easing off, but they are about to ramp up again so I am thinking I need a long-term strategy or I will just not be writing much and that is unacceptable at this point.

(I am also chronically ill, which complicates things).

I've mostly been poking at some poetry I'm going to be submitting on 10/1. It was originally a story-in-verse, except free verse, because that's how I roll, but it just wasn't working well. So I split that apart and decided to write three separate poems to a theme (love, naturally) but not as a story. So now I need to do some quick revising if I still want to make my deadline. The good news is I can use what I am not using for my submission, with some tweaks, for my poetry Instagram, which I've been neglecting terribly due to no time.

My Esperanto class is almost over and I am kind of sad. I've been enjoying it immensely.

I also got my very first review of Gain with Pain and while it's a 4-star, it's not entirely positive. The reader feels that I am "unlikeable, blunt, and intimidating." Now, I put a disclaimer in the very beginning of the book stating that hey, I am a blunt person, I don't believe in sugarcoating stuff and throwing pity parties, so if this is something you are looking for, this isn't the book for you." But anyway, I'm not broken up over it because it is a 4-star and I did expect a bit of negativity, as I am blunt, and I figured this might happen here and there. I just hope it doesn't put off too many people from reading it. The reader did note that my methods DID help and she is using them every day. Sooooo that's a good thing, right?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Mailed out my revision today. As always, I feel like the train tracks have dropped out from under me and I'm in 40mph free fall.

Tomorrow: back to the series book!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Checking in on the last day of the month... well, I really haven't achieved much this month, at least not on the writing front (on the other hand, my garage has never been so clean or well organised). I did finish a new musical piece yesterday, which makes me feel a little better.

Well done liz, bearilou, and everyone on the progress! And a four-star review is definitely good, Saoirse. "Blunt" and "intimidating" are words that have been occasionally thrown my way, always to my surprise and befuzzlement, but they've never held me back. Take the positives and keep rolling on!