• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Mathematics: With Category Theory, Mathematics Escapes From Equality

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
This is the kind of thing that made me love math, and also made me suck at it. :)

https://www.quantamagazine.org/with-category-theory-mathematics-escapes-from-equality-20191010/

Mathematical equality might seem to be the least controversial possible idea. Two beads plus one bead equals three beads. What more is there to say about that? But the simplest ideas can be the most treacherous.

Since the late 19th century, the foundation of mathematics has been built from collections of objects, which are called sets. Set theory specifies rules, or axioms, for constructing and manipulating these sets. One of these axioms, for example, says that you can add a set with two elements to a set with one element to produce a new set with three elements: 2 + 1 = 3.

On a formal level, the way to show that two quantities are equal is to pair them off: Match one bead on the right side of the equal sign with one bead on the left side. Observe that after all the pairing is done, there are no beads left over.

Set theory recognizes that two sets with three objects each pair exactly, but it doesn’t easily perceive all the different ways to do the pairing. You could pair the first bead on the right with the first on the left, or the first on the right with the second on the left, and so on (there are six possible pairings in all). To say that two plus one equals three and leave it at that is to overlook all the different ways in which they’re equal. “The problem is, there are many ways to pair up,” Campbell said. “We’ve forgotten them when we say equals.”

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Category theory has been adopted by functional programming languages like Haskell, and to some extent (via add-on libraries) Scala.

I’ve watched some of a multi-part series of lectures on category theory for programmers. I was often confused. ;)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Category theory has been adopted by functional programming languages like Haskell, and to some extent (via add-on libraries) Scala.

I’ve watched some of a multi-part series of lectures on category theory for programmers. I was often confused. ;)

My programming background may be part of why I get this a little bit. I'm familiar with the distinct concepts of "these things are equal," "these things are really equal," and "no, honest, this time I mean it, these things are equal."

Heck, in Javascript there's a thing that isn't even equal to itself. Take that, abstract math!