Plotting a Novel Length Work

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there is really a difference between writing an erotic novel and any other type of novel, so everything here applies anywhere, but this is a comfortable place for this crowd. One of our faithful posed a desire to run a practice on plotting a novel length work, so I thought I'd start a thread outside the password so that we got the most participation.

To tee up the conversation, I was taught that we need to pick our character, set the dogs on them, run them up a tree, set the tree on fire, and watch what happens. That's a bit of an oversimplification, but also a good description. In super simple terms this is the basic framework for a novel length plot.

1. Begin with a sympathetic character.
  2. Give them a problem.
  3. Show them the solution, make it impossible.
  4. Set them to trying anyway.
  5. Introduce an alternative (one good/one bad, if you have the space).
  6. Give them resolve to stay the course.
  7. Knock them on their ass.
  8. Let them wallow in self pity and make a few mistakes - complications to overcome.
  9. Stand them back up
  10. Reinforce the alternatives
  11. Let them realize that their journey has made the problem solvable.
  12. Choose a different path.

It doesn't hurt to give this basic journey to your antagonist too, and maybe even secondary characters, especially if the journeys are entangled and conflicting.

Thoughts?

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
One of the many ways to pot a novel. Personally I use the 3 act structure to loosely plan before I start writing. There are things I can’t plot and I have to write to discover/figure them out.

Also I don’t agree with number 1 - for me a character doesn’t have to be sympathetic or even likeable, they have to be interesting.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
I'll take that. Your character doesn't have to be sympathetic in a "sympathy" kind of way, but rather someone you care what happens to them, even if what you really want is to see them die. Anyway, start with a character you want to see what happens to them.

I also start with a rough idea of where I'm going, but then discover all the bumps in the road as I'm writing. Most of the formal stuff for me comes after first draft. I start down a path, and then look where I've been. If I'm missing things, I go back and add them, or if I take meaningless detours, I eliminate them.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Er... none of the above?

For me, it's more like: Have characters and "starting scenario", and hopefully at least a vague idea of what kind of ending the ending is. Write down words as they come to me. At some point, have no idea what happens next. Know that I need a Thing that fits these parameters, has this effect on pacing, and will cause/enable these actions/events in the future. What is Thing? Have no idea; get stuck for days/weeks/years.

I'm really trying to find better tools to avoid the stuck-for-years part. Did not enjoy that, last time out....

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Have characters and "starting scenario", and hopefully at least a vague idea of what kind of ending the ending is

Liz_V - I think this is the essence of what I'm talking about, just adding a few steps. Once you have an idea for beginning and end it just builds out of that by charting a path for them, adding a tiny bit of detail at each step of the way.

Example:
  • Man spills coffee on woman.
  • Man asks woman to marry him.
  • Couple gets married.

That's a pretty vague premise, but we have characters, a scenario, and a destination.

Let's begin plotting by adding one detail front and back of each step:
  • A young man on his first day in a new office is sent out for coffee.
  • The young man getting coffee bumps into a young woman waiting in line and spills coffee on her.
  • The young man begs her forgiveness and promises to pay for her dry cleaning.
  • The young couple celebrates their anniversary by meeting for coffee at the bistro where they met when he spilled coffee on her.
  • The young man asks his girlfriend to marry him.
  • The young woman's ex boyfriend shows up at her wedding shower.
  • The young couple finally gets married.

The story gets more interesting with details, and you have to remember to make it difficult. I threw in an ex above, but you should consider throwing in lots of problems as you go, each problem driving another challenge. And they need only be small, but in concert they become big. We enjoy the ride unravelling the story that is really pretty straight forward. Boy meets girl. They fall in love. They marry.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I think that there are as many processes as there are novels and writers.

Rather than looking for the "one true way" it's perhaps more helpful to look at possible ways.

I note, by the way, that having a sympathetic character is not a requirement and may even be a hinderance for some writers and some books.

There are an awful lot of very much loved and read novels whose primary characters are not "sympathetic." Off the top of my head, I think of Austen's Emma, a novel that Austen herself said in a letter to her sister "I am going to take a heroine whom no one but myself will much like.” Another less than sympathetic hero is Dunnet's Lymond; Lymond spends much of the first book being interesting, and annoying, but not actually likeable.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. I would love to hear any process that people are willing to share.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Well, I kind of whack stuff out until it's vaguely novel-length, and then I hack away the bits that don't work and flesh out the bits that do. :D

Less facetiously: my stuff usually starts with one scene/character. Worldbuilding and plot grow together. When I start drafting I have the end, and two or three touchstone moments. Plotting and pacing happen by feel, if that makes any sense. What I've found, having finished a bunch of books at this point, is that my plots tend to naturally divide themselves into thirds. This is probably because of the reading I've done in my life, which generally conforms to a three-act structure.

But I'm a discovery writer. Too much thinking ahead actually slows me down, because getting bogged down too early in the details I'll need to resolve before finishing absolutely cripples my creativity.

I don't expect anyone else to do it the way I do. :)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to hear any process that people are willing to share.

'Sympathetic characters' might be more useful as a concept to newer writers (like me) than to established writers. It's a relatively easy way to encourage a reader to give your book a look. I didn't want to write a likable protagonist, for example, and I succeeded brilliantly in getting people to dislike my protagonist :), but have come to realize that making my characters likable engages readers more easily. So that's now on my radar.

As I grow into a better writer, perhaps I will find other ways to engage readers than through sympathy. So I will agree with sympathetic as a good trait when plotting a novel, with those caveats.

On the subject of caveats, Humbert Humbert is anything but likable; he's deplorable... and yet he is still likable. Because he defends his deplorable position in true boot-straps spirit. So even this extreme example of unlikable character has qualities to get behind--i.e. is, in a sense, likable. Or compelling, if we differ on the definition, but his determination to articulate his reasons for holding a misanthropic view is admirable.

OK--plotting a novel length work.

I've heard that forty scenes is about right for a novel. A scene is often about 1000-4000 words. A scene has a defined structure, by and large. So, toss into the pot the idea of forty scenes in sequence.

If bending your one protagonist to the three act structure does not require forty scenes, then I'd agree that a second goal (and arc) from a second character, integrated into the story and hopefully providing direct conflict, can get a person there.

I use the snowflake method, and this aims for ~ forty scenes. Like Liz, I hash out words and aim for a word count knowing there will be much accordioning back and forth during revision. I'm on draft four at the moment and sitting at 118,000 words. The first draft looked like it wouldn't break 90,000. I managed to get it to 115,000 but then draft two was down to 106,000. Up and down.

36 chapters currently, about forty scenes overall.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am most interested in speculative erotica, where something about the sexuality has unexpected consequences for scientific or magical or [???] reasons. So the structure there is often more 1) sex happens for one of the usual reasons 2) shit that was unexpected 3) consequences 4) character growth and resolution.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
InkFinger - And here's where the frustration I warned you about comes in -- because what you say is valid and sound, and my brain bounces right off it.

I don't know if this is going to make sense to anyone but me and my poor long-suffering housemate, but my latest revelation is that I understand story very much in the way a reader experiences it. Which, among other things, means my writing-brain shuts right down if asked to supply anything that isn't going to be in the actual words of the story. So for example, if a mystery story is from the detective's PoV and starts after the crime has been committed, plotting it by working out what the villain does before the story starts just ain't happening.

Like lizmonster, I do plotting and pacing by feel. And 90-95% of the time, that works fine. Unfortunately, when it doesn't work, I've got no back-up plan, and that other 5-10% involves an awful lot of bashing my head against the wall.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Liz_V, try not to do any long lasting harm with the head bashing. It would be wrong for me to say that I plot my stories, because I don't. Most of what I do is in editing. That said, I generally come at it with a specific scene that starts the sequence and work in both directions - it's almost never the opening scene. I do often have an idea of where to begin and where to end though. My endings will change on me as I go.

If you'd like to work on something for practice, pop on over to the E-SYW venue and start a thread. I am more than game to cowrite a little practice story or even scene so that we can work it out. And I'm also happy to go to other playgrounds too, but I won't find it if you don't invite me, because I'm not looking there.

I am serious. If you care about this. I'm game.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
I might also note that I drop a practice scene/story in E-SYW every week in the practice threads, if you want to know whether I know my head from my ass.