New Member Kermit Rose

Kermit1941

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever someone asks me to say something about myself, my first thought is that I have no idea what anyone else would find interesting about me.

So I will just throw some things out that you may or may not find interesting.

My goal is to become such a good writer that when I write my fantasy novel it will be snaped up and speedily circulated around the world.

Such a wild goal. Can anyone live long enough to achieve that goal?

I am reminded that I found some of the famous novels too simple. Is oversimplification a requirement for a "good novel"?

Kermit1941

Registered
Reaction score
Where did that title,

"New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin" come from?

I did not notice it as I typed my first post.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW :)

I am reminded that I found some of the famous novels too simple. Is oversimplification a requirement for a "good novel"?

I'm going for a No vote. Over-anything is not a requirement for anything - in life or in art (or indeed in novels.)

:Sun:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!

My goal is to become such a good writer that when I write my fantasy novel it will be snaped up and speedily circulated around the world.
By “my fantasy novel,” do you mean a novel in the fantasy genre, or the novel of your fantasies?

I appreciate your goal, at any rate, and this is a great place to learn about craft and about what it really takes to make your writing better.

Certainly not. My favorite novels—some of which are famous, some perhaps less so—are subtle and rich with layers of meaning. Maybe the takeaways here are that famous does not always mean good, and good does not always mean famous, and even that what good means is very subjective and can be measured by many metrics.

:e2coffee:

bleep

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Kermit1941! I'm with Lakey and mccardey on your question about over-simplification.

One of my favorite novels is Gravity's Rainbow, which I've read 3 times and I still can't say that I understand half of it, but I still love it. That might be an outlier, but I'm throwing it out there as an extreme example.

Also think about drawings and tapestries; probably you don't need them to be simple or over-simple to enjoy them. Actually IMHO the only thing that really needs to be oversimple is street signs. : ) Oh and most icons I guess.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: to the fray, Kermit. If 1941 is your birth year, it's the same as mine. If 1941 is your favorite movie, it's certainly quintessential Belushi and Aykroyd,

I have to agree the prefix "over" may not produce the best requirement.