Sexy cyberpunk/sci-fi

lyann88

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a sci-fi novel and I realized I wrote 4 scenes with sexual content and I'm about half way through the story. I'm wondering if I could be marketing it as a erotic novel at this point. What are the advantage of marketing a book as erotica versus sci-fi? Which category has a bigger market? I can't really market it as a sci-fi romance because it doesn't have a happy ever after (HEA) ending. Should I approach agent with a sci-fi background or an erotica background? Ideally I would like one with both but I don't know anyone who have both expertises. The sex scenes are very mainstream with no particular fetishes.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Four sex scenes in a novel length work doesn't read like erotica, probably straight sci-fi with sex included. Erotica v. SciFi is a marketing thing, especially when you consider that Erotica is a bigger category that Sci-Fi in that Erotica has Sci-Fi, horror, romance, mystery, modern, historical, etc... Who do you want reading the novel?

lyann88

Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure who my reader will be. Since my MC is a 24 yo woman, I imagine the reader will be a woman in her 20 or 30. I mostly read sci-fi romance and urban fantasy. Do you know any recommendation of good Erotica Sci-fi? Something more mainstream.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Mass fiction? I'd call out Laurel K. Hamilton, she loves a little nookie and sells a ton of paper. Stacia Kane a former (maybe current) denizen of this forum also wrote under the name December Quinn, and that was all erotica. Our esteemed moderator Veinglory spins a good tale, a little outside my taste profile, but good none the less.

As for who reads heroines, you'll find that like video games, men love a strong female lead. Although 25 to 35 year old women are a big market to shoot for, but don't get lost in that. Write a good story and then find your market. Once you have your market, well, let me know when you do.

lyann88

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendations!! Yes, I would definitely prefer to appeal to a mass market than a nich audience. My MC loves sci-fi and makes comments about Star Wars and Back to the future (both are considered like Classic literature in my novel set in 2090 ;). So your right, it might appeal to guys too!

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Lyann88,

Again, I wouldn't worry about marketing until you have a finished product. Is the work finished?

Last edited:

lyann88

Registered
Reaction score
So as long as the plot isn't sex driven, a sci-fi novel wouldn't be considered erotica even if they have multiple sex scenes? I'm aiming toward upmarket fiction and I would like to avoid being too niche. I wonder if I should tone it down to appeal to a wider audience.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Sci fi quite often has sex in it. Just treat it as sci fi and only avoid venues that specifically say they are sex-negative, which is going to be uncommon for your genre. (More common in genres that often cross over with religiosity like romance and saga).

lyann88

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your answers veinglory and InkFinger!

ConnorMuldowney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
connormuldowneydigitalshowcase.wordpress.com
Sex scenes are mainstream with no fetishes, in a sci-fi? How boring.

Jokes aside, I think this will largely depend on how long these sex "scenes" are. Are you defining "scenes" as "chapters"? Four quick "scenes" of sex doesn't seem all that excessive, unless those four scenes take up a bulk of the work. From what I am reading in this thread, I feel like you'll be okay.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
ConnorMuldowney, that sounds like a challenge. I'd wager a number of people on this forum can write an absolutely filthy sex scene in two paragraphs that would make another genre's three page climax feel positively evangelical.

BTW - would love to have you drop by E-SYW, if you are so inclined, to see a little bit of that.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How long are the paragraphs in this two-paragraph sex scene? Sign me up!

Maryn, remembering a long-ago challenged involving 200 words

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
You know I am down for a challenge. Throw down the rules and I will wow you with my filthy mind. I just dropped this week's prompt and it's not terrible.