• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Tech: Interactive map shows where any location on Earth was millions of years ago

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/30/us/map-hometown-earth-continental-drift-scn-trnd/

CNN said:
A California paleontologist has created an interactive map that allows people to see how far their hometowns have moved over 750 million years of continental drift.

The online map, designed by Ian Webster, features a range of tools that also make it easy to discover more about the Earth, such as where the first reptiles lived or when the first flower bloomed.
"It shows that our environment is dynamic and can change," Webster, 30, told CNN. "The history of Earth is longer than we can conceive, and the current arrangement of plate tectonics and continents is an accident of time. It will be very different in the future, and Earth may outlast us all."

TL;DR: Here’s the map: https://dinosaurpictures.org/ancient-earth#120

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It always amazes me how hard and fast India is slamming into Asia. Look at that subcontinent fly! Zowie!

Whenever I would fly to Africa, I would watch the flight monitor topo and ocean floor map and daydream how short the flight would be if Morocco was still just on the other side of Delaware. Shoot, Senegal would be a day trip for some of that amazing jollof rice (beware the scotch bonnet peppers!) and fish.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
How fun!

Ir would also be cool to have one that takes us into the projected future for millions of years

It sure would!

Though I don't think we understand the process well enough to project with any confidence past the things that are already in progress. So we know there will be a new ocean once the rift in Africa fully unzips, the Atlantic will continue to expand for a while, and the Pacific will shrink to nothing. And there are a few other moving bits & pieces that will probably continue doing what they're doing for a while. But how all the other parts will reconfigure themselves 25 or 50 or 100 million years from now is pure speculation. And further down the timeline? Is anybody's guess, because nobody really knows a thing. Except that eventually plate tectonics will grind to a halt, the water cycle will stop cycling, and the planet will dry up and become uninhabitable. (I've seen this suggested for sometime around 600 million to 1 billion years from now -- long before the sun expands and turns the earth into a crispy cinder.)