Regarding opening lines

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
A lot is written regarding the first sentences, paragraphs, etc., but I question whether it is of paramount importance.

I believe the cover is the first thing that catches the reader’s eye. The next is the title, then blurb (product description), and finally the first lines in the book. If you sell on Amazon, customers usually download the first 10% (for free), then decide to buy.

Once they are attracted by the cover, intrigued by the blurb, then what sets the hook are those first pages. So, only at that last step is the early lines important. Don’t get me wrong, they are key to getting a prospective reader excited enough to continue reading, but I wouldn’t put it at the top of the list.

Opinions?

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
When considering buying a book online, I'll read the free sample and if I want to keep reading, I'll buy the book. However if the first few lines aren't getting me hooked, I'll move on. There are too many books out there to spend time reading the entire first 10% (or whatever amount you get in the free sample) or the entire first chapter or two in a bookshop, to see if I start to like it. For me the cover and title are less important than the first few lines because I'll open up a lot of books and read the first few lines to see what they're like.

You're right in the sense that they are all important in terms of getting someone to buy the book. But the point at which I am most likely to accept or reject a book that I look at is the first few lines. The cover/title combo makes me pick the book up but it isn't what secures the sale. If I reject a book after reading the blurb it's more about whether it's the type of story I'd enjoy. For example if it's clear from the blurb it's not my cup of tea genre wise, I'll put it down. But most of the time if I read the blurb I'll also read the first few lines and it's the first few lines that would sell it or fail to sell it.

I have radically changed my opinion about a book (from bad to very good) after reading only a few lines. I've put bestsellers back on the shelf after only a few lines. It's very common for me to be in a library or bookshop and to just browse books - pick them up, read the cover, blurb and a few lines, and then put them back. While doing this, sometimes I get so hooked that I can't just read the first few lines, I have to keep reading and will go and borrow or buy the book because I literally can't put it down.

Occasionally books hook me from the blurb, e.g. The Martian by Andy Weir. He had me at "I'm stranded on Mars" (first line of the blurb) - this wasn't a sale or no sale thing as my brother bought it for me as a gift, but had I seen it in a bookshop I'd still have read the first few lines before buying it, just in case. (Some books have very grabby titles, blurbs etc then turn out to be dull and badly written.)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, I rarely pay the blurb any attention at all. For me, it's title (in a physical store or library, where the spine is what shows), cover art (I'll put books back without opening based on covers), then the first lines.

Online, cover art grabs me or fails to grab me before title if I'm just browsing. I still don't generally read the whole blurb. But if the part I do read is awkwardly phrased or contains errors in grammar, that's a close-the-tab for me.

Maryn, just adding another reader's input

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Marketing is important, and we're all vulnerable to it one way or another.

That said: if someone I trusted recommended a book to me that had a lousy cover and the first line hooked me, I'd read it. If they recommended a book with a gorgeous cover and the beginning fell flat, I wouldn't.

I think they're orthogonal concepts, really - both important in different ways.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just to throw a wrench into the works: If the title/cover intrigues me, I'll glance at the blurb, then open the book a quarter or so of the way in -- not too far, so as to avoid major spoilers -- and read a chunk at random. If the writing engages me, I'll randomly flip to another chunk, and possibly give the blurb a bit more attention. If the writing continues to hold up and the blurb makes it sound like my sort of thing, I'll seriously consider buying.

I frequently don't look at the opening lines at all. IME the opening of a book doesn't necessarily correlate to what the overall reading experience is like, and that's before you even get to things like writers putting 10x the attention into their opening paragraphs as they have the rest of the book (either improving or overpolishing, YMMV).

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
The first line is so important to me as a customer. Then the first paragraph. A good first line will encourage me to read the first paragraph. If I like the first page or two I'll buy it. (but I am happy to DNF books, too.) What makes the opening a winner to me ... is feeling invited into the story, like a mental hug.

Here are four first lines (from four genres) that I pulled together for a workshop. They're from best sellers. Only the second one below works for me (and I often reshelve first person). But that second one is an intriguing line and doesn't demand any effort. I feel invited, not coerced.

Again, all of these books did phenomenally well. (Subjective.)

“We should start back,” Gared urged, as the woods began to grow dark around them. “The wildlings are dead.”

When I think of my wife, I always think of her head.

As I sit here with one foot on either side of the ledge, looking down from twelve stories above the streets of Boston, I can’t help but think about suicide.

The National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics successfully put its third satellite into orbit, this one with the capability of sending radio signals down to Earth and taking measurements of the radiation in space.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Actually for me its the title. So whether that is scanning a shelf in a bookstore (most books are displayed with the spine out, very few are showing the front cover) or the weekend book reviews in the papers. After that, I will read the blurb. If that intrigues me I will have a look at the first page/paragraph. If I am buying through Amazon I will also take a look at reviews.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm on the fence about a book, the first line can make or break it. Most of the books I decide to read have killer first lines.

I don't think anything can slide, though. If you can create a killer title, first line, blurb, whatever, then there's no reason not to.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woollybear - I agree, the second one is the only one that makes me want to read on (and I'm also not a first-person fan). It's because it creates a question -- why is that what he thinks of? -- that I want answered.

Even if I don't really care about his wife or her head. There's a great lecture by... Lee Child, maybe?... talking about how humans are hard-wired to want answers to questions, even questions they don't care about. That's why some TV shows will pose a trivia question before the commercial break; they know how many people will cling to that station because they have to know what annual festival an island has or what sport has the most weather-related cancellations, even if they're not remotely interested in festivals or sports.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
For new authors, it's the title/cover package that catches my eye. I'll read the blurb to see if it sounds like the kind of story I want to read, then check out the first couple pages. (Often, now, I'll read the "look inside" to see if the writing jives with me.)

If it's a recommended book from a trusted source, I'll skip to checking inside.

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
Don't care that much about the cover. That's art, like a poster. An intriguing image, much like an advertisement, doesn't make me buy unless I want the product. Titles might make me open the book, but buying the book is dependent on the opening. If the first lines are boring or don't interest me, I don't keep reading.

I think the first few paragraphs of your book are the most important real estate a writer owns. It's the first thing a reader uses to judge whether or not to buy the book. It's the first thing an agent who's intrigued by a query will use as a measure of whether or not to sign you as a client and it's what's in the balance when it comes to a publisher that chooses to acquire your book.

A beautiful cover, great blurb, snazzy title are fine. But if the writing isn't terrific, if it's confusing, doesn't present an immediate conflict or something fascinating that I have to know more about, if there are grammatical errors, then I move on. Way too many fish in the sea to keep going in order to find out if I'm wasting my time.

Edit: I wanted to add that I also will read books by authors I love, regardless of the opening lines.

Last edited:

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I started this thread somewhat because of the currently running first 3 sentences thread, you see, my belief is that the intense focus on the first bit of the book is overemphasized.
Not just yes, but HELL YES, I think the first segments of the work is important. Some opening lines are simply delicious and often they set the mood for the rest of the book.

It was hell's season, and the air smelled of burning children.
Listen: Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
It was a pleasure to burn.

All those openings are preludes to awesome books. Others novels are beautifully (over) polished, but the book falls flat because the mood or vision dies soon after the opening stanza is complete.

Consider the book I'm currently reading. It's a mystery novel by a well known author, and even has a prelude written by Steven King heralding how great the opening of the book is.

I am death. Which for me is kinda flat, but I did keep reading. The problem with this opening line is that it doesn't fit with the rest of the story. Yes, the MC is a reporter tracking down a serial killer, so death is involved, but he isn't the killer. Further, the dark mood it creates doesn't continue further.

My point is that first lines ARE important, but they need to carry forward into the story by setting the mood, and possibly telling us something about the character or the world. As such, I pay less attention to the opening than I do the product description.

Regarding covers - its been at least 10 years since I've been in a brick and mortar book store; I buy all my books off Amazon. On that venue, I search for keywords, and if the cover/title intrigues me I'll look at the page to read the blurb. If both those look good, I'll click on the 'Look Inside' to get a feel for the writing - and if that looks good I download the free sample (which is 10%), and if the story holds up I'll make the purchase.

So the sale process is kind of like falling dominoes - cover - blurb - first 10% - then buy. If I get beyond the blurb, the first few sentences really don't make that much of a difference to me.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with indianroads in that a snappy opening by itself won't get it done. And that it needs to be relevant to the rest of the book.

The sequence of components (for me, but also for most, I believe) quite often goes:
Cover--yes, this looks like a genre/subgenre I'm interested in.
Blurb--okay, this might have some originality; it's an interesting proposition.
Open the book/Look Inside--And here is where the rubber meets the road--this is where the decision is made.

The first sentence has one job: to get you to the second sentence. The second sentence gets you to the third. And so on. Don't Let Up.

It's important to get the opener right. But it's also important to get the entire book right.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with CathleenT on this - esp
It's important to get the opener right. But it's also important to get the entire book right.

ETA: Except, I can totally buy a book for a gorgeous cover - and I have. And sometimes it's been an unfortunate choice as far as the writing goes, but hey I bought it for the cover, so...

Last edited:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I started this thread somewhat because of the currently running first 3 sentences thread, you see, my belief is that the intense focus on the first bit of the book is overemphasized.

Hang on, you only seem to be talking about the opening lines of published books (whether self pubbed or trade pubbed). That ignores the stage a lot of those "first three lines" entries are at -- polishing up work for querying.

When you're trying to catch an agent's interest, those first few lines are critical. If they make it past the query to the pasted pages, it can be a really fast snap decision on whether they request or reject. So yeah, it's important to have an opener that lands.

(As for published books, I'm someone whose interest might be piqued by the cover or title or blurb, but those first lines/grafs are what make me decide to actually buy it. I generally read the first page, not only the first lines, but I've 100% rejected based on the opening sentences before.)

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Hang on, you only seem to be talking about the opening lines of published books (whether self pubbed or trade pubbed). That ignores the stage a lot of those "first three lines" entries are at -- polishing up work for querying.

When you're trying to catch an agent's interest, those first few lines are critical. If they make it past the query to the pasted pages, it can be a really fast snap decision on whether they request or reject. So yeah, it's important to have an opener that lands.

(As for published books, I'm someone whose interest might be piqued by the cover or title or blurb, but those first lines/grafs are what make me decide to actually buy it. I generally read the first page, not only the first lines, but I've 100% rejected based on the opening sentences before.)

Yes. An agent query is a different animal. In that situation the opening lines are critical.

ETA: my intended point is that for published works, YES, the opening stanza is important, but it shouldn’t take away from efforts elsewhere in the book.

Last edited:

mary.p.burns1

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with indianroads. Having worked for a publishing company and witnessed what happened re: sales when we released a book with four different covers to learn if one sold better than another, I learned cover is of paramount importance. For me, the blurb is a huge seller: it's a thumbnail sketch of the journey I'll be taking. Finally, the the first pages seal (or not) the deal.

Last edited:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

I want to respond to this, as a participant of that thread, because I think you might be misinterpreting its purpose and value. I’m just one participant; others may see the thread differently. But to me, the point of the thread is not “make your first three sentences perfect because they are most important thing in your book.” Rather, it’s a light-hearted way to examine whether you’ve got something intriguing off the bat. It’s a way for folks who may not have a complete excerpt they are comfortable sharing to nevertheless get something of their work out in front of others members. And it’s a microcosm of one’s writing, in the sense that if one has extra words, unclear syntax, or confusing metaphors in one’s opening, then one is likely to have those problems throughout the manuscript, and wouldn’t it be nice to know that now so you can fix it before you show the rest of the book to people you might not get a second chance with?

Lastly, as be frank points out, it’s not a zero-sum game—one can (and one should) put lots of thought into one’s opening and also into every other sentence in one’s work. Another value in the first-three-sentences thread is that it can show how much one can do in a very short space. Some inexperienced writers get confused when they hear that they should start in medias res but also set scene and also establish a character. One of the things a writer can learn from the first three sentences thread is that it is possible to do all of those things at once. And if you can write that efficiently for three sentences, you can do it for the rest of your book, too.

All of the above reflects the kind of writer I am, what I strive for in my writing and look for in the writing of others. And so it stands to reason that a different kind of writer might not see the point of the exercise. But for me, the point certainly is not to polish up your first three sentences to the exclusion of all else. Rather, it’s to learn from these three sentences techniques that you can apply to every sentence you write.

:e2coffee:

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Agree very much with Lakey, especially this bit:

And it’s a microcosm of one’s writing, in the sense that if one has extra words, unclear syntax, or confusing metaphors in one’s opening, then one is likely to have those problems throughout the manuscript, and wouldn’t it be nice to know that now so you can fix it before you show the rest of the book to people you might not get a second chance with?

The first few times I posted openings in the previous incarnations of the 3 sentences thread, the feedback was about things that applied to the entire manuscript, not just the first three lines. I ended up editing the whole thing based on this feedback. Particularly for beginner writers, you don't need to get the entire thing critiqued to learn from it, in fact it probably would've been extremely disheartening to get the entire thing critiqued, then have every single example of the same handful of beginner errors highlighted each time I'd done them. And also that would be very inefficient use of everyone's time.

Another time, as a result of the 3 lines feedback, when I was struggling to start the story without backstory infodumps, I realised I was starting too late and actually the story started a few days before - I ended up writing about 3 chapters worth of story before the original starting point. I didn't just end up with a stronger opening lines, the entire first few chapters were stronger because of it.

I've also learned loads from critiquing other people's lines and reading the critiques of others. I haven't just learned about writing opening lines of a novel. I've learned about choosing words carefully to say exactly what I mean to say, choosing the right details to convey the important information in a limited number of sentences. How to convey just enough information to paint a clear picture and what details can be left out. How to create intrigue without impairing clarity. Probably I could go on for a while listing this stuff. I used to have a problem with writing too much redundant information (I probably still do that in my forum posts - sorry!) and I've learned how much of these extra words and sentences can be removed without changing the meaning. So much stuff you can learn from critiquing just three sentences.

Also, as a single parent with a full time job, I often don't get time to do longer critiques, like in the share your work section. However critiquing three sentences doesn't take long but still helps to improve my ability to revise my own work.

In all, a massive thank you to everyone who's taken part in the 3 sentences thread!

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
What Lakey said. The opening needs to be good to hook me, but the rest of that prose should follow the example of the beginning. I have stopped reading books that don't redeem the promise of the opening, just as I've quit watching movies that turned out not to be my cup of tea.

When I was younger, I finished everything, even bad movies and books. I'm older now and have less time left. If you let me down during the reading or viewing process, I'm gone. I have less tolerance for bad books or movies these days.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I didn't realise it was a zero sum game. :)

In my experience, it often has been. A great opening (or at least a passable one) then the writing flattens out. This could possibly be caused by an overemphasis on those first few lines.

The first few paragraphs are critical as they are intended to get the reader invested in the character(s) and the story. The end of each chapter should leave the reader anxious to find out what happens next. The beginning of the chapter (like the start of the book) needs to reengage the reader (similar to the first few lines).

And YES, everything should be polished and written as best as we possibly can - obviously. Good writing has to continue all the way through the book.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I like the usage of the term microcosm here. The first line (or first three lines, or the blurb, or the cover, or the author, or even the subject matter) are part of a larger living breathing entity that ultimately makes a potential reader/fan pick up a book, skim said microcosm and ultimately make their way to reading the entire book.

For myself personally, I've been on something of a renaissance lately in my reading in that I am picking up books and reading/listening to that either I was forced to read in college, and didn't, or am picking up for the first time in some cases. So, my reading of these books is not predicated on the first line, the cover, or even the author really. It's because I feel that this is something I should have read, need to read, or have not given enough due consideration.

With that said, I am also suspending any sort of judgement based on the first line, or first three lines, or even chapters for the foreseeable future. I do find that some first lines are more likely to stick than others. Someone upthread even referenced one of them:

Listen: Billy Pilgrim has become unstuck in time

Other well-known first lines:

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
It was a bright day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
Call me Ishmael.

So, do first lines matter? Yes, they can have a lasting impact. But they do not exist in a void. For me it's part of a whole, and reminds me of when I was a kid and I asked my dad to "tell me a story".

Whether that story started with "once upon a time" or "there once was a..." or anything else would hook me, but it was also the rest of the story that mattered. I had to be able to relate to the story, understand the story, and enjoy the story. Otherwise, it could have been the worst story ever regardless of the first lines.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

This.

To be fair though, I don't quite understand how one can take the first sentence or three out of the first paragraph for judgement of the book. We don't (generally) read word-by-word, or even sentence-by-sentence.

Judging by the first-few-minutes of reading is probably more the kind of thing readers actually do, I think.

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com

Yes, +1 to this.

In my experience, it often has been. A great opening (or at least a passable one) then the writing flattens out. This could possibly be caused by an overemphasis on those first few lines.

Really, you think that book made it all the way to publication and no one ever thought to polish the entire manuscript, only the opening lines? I mean, clearly if it was published, there are people who don't agree with your assessment of the writing being flat. Your disappointment is not an objective measure, and it doesn't negate the importance of openings in general. I can't read a whole book to decide if I want to read the book. I've learned over time that the opening is the best indicator of whether I'll enjoy the story. The cover may entice me to pick it up, but it is not the story. The blurb may be about the story but also is not the actual story. Sure, those things are important, but I will still base final decision on the story, and for me, that means reading the opening.

Last edited: