Full of beans

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a shipment of assorted dried beans from Rancho Gordo! Beans of many colors. Yay beans!

Now I have the good problem: what can I do with them? I love eating beans that other people have cooked, but I'm not a very experienced or creative cooker-of-beans myself. But with so many high-quality beans now at my disposal I think I need to move past Boston baked beans and pasta fagioli. I know there's a whole world of beany goodness in store if I can figure out how to access it.

So -- hit me with your bean favorites!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A long time favorite in my family was just referred to as "beans".

One pound dry pinto beans. Cook according to package directions until tender.
When beans are tender, add one medium-large onion, medium chop to simmering broth.
Add one 15 oz can diced tomatoes.
Crumble in one pound 80/20 ground beef.

Continue simmering until onions are tender and ground beef is thoroughly cooked.

You will notice there is no mention of any seasonings. Because of various spice sensitivities/dislikes, each person added salt/pepper, chili powder, hot sauce or whatever to their own bowl.

Freezes well.

MM

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
My belly's full of beans. Had a craving for baked beans earlier, and couldn't deny it :)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chili. Can't go wrong with chili.

My chili fallback is one I came up with myself. I soak black or small red beans (or a mixture) for six or more hours, pressure cook for ten minutes, then drain. Meanwhile, I brown ground turkey or beef with green peppers and onions. Mix the beans with the meat/veggie mix, then add as much chili powder, ground cumin, garlic, black pepper, and salt as you can stand, and tomato paste. I hate hate HATE tomatoes, so no more than half of the smallest can of paste you can get is enough for me. I also sometimes add a can of chick peas and/or a can of corn. If you like it hot, just one or two of those birdseye peppers (or, little satan devil peppers as I call them) will set it off. Add enough water to mix it together, and bring to a boil. Let it sit or not as you prefer.

Once the beans are soaked, the whole thing only takes an hour to make. Longer if you don't have a pressure cooker.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Boracho Beans

Once my beans have cooked for a while and are within an hour or so of serving, I add:

1 pint home-canned summer tomatoes, roughly crushed, or a 14.5 oz can of store bought tomatoes
1-2 Jalapeno peppers, sliced
Crumbled bacon
Parsley
1-2 Bottles of Beer

Let simmer until alcohol is cooked off and peppers are tender. I like this in pinto beans best, but it might be just as good with Great Northern or Navy beans.

- - - Updated - - -

My Mother's Beans...

1 lb dried Beans (Navy, Great Northern, Pinto)
Ham hock or, better still, leftover ham bone from a baked ham
Water, Salt and pepper
Bacon Grease – you can never have too much flavor

Dump beans slowly into colander and look for rocks, dirt clods and other detritus. Wash thoroughly. Put in big pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil and boil furiously for about an hour, then reduce heat and simmer anywhere from two hours to all day, depending on how long you want to baby-sit the pot to make sure it has enough water to keep from burning the beans - trust me. You don't want to burn the beans. Not only is that a cardinal sin, it stinks... and just about ruins your pot. Check periodically and add water as necessary. And if by accident you get them too salty, drop in a peeled potato cut in quarters. It'll soak up some of the salt and it's good to eat, too.

That's Mama's recipe, such as it was. Nowadays, I use all of the above, plus I add:

2-3 Cloves of Garlic, or equivalent in Garlic powder
½ medium onion, roughly chopped
Liquid Smoke, Worcestershire Sauce, and Soy Sauce to taste

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Red Beans and Rice (from a full-blood Louisiana native I used to work for):

1 lb dried red beans (or use three cans small red beans)
½ lb ham
1 lb smoked sausage cut into chunks
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 ribs celery, sliced
4 cloves minced garlic
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. Tabasco or a Cayenne pepper
1 bunch green onions, chopped
½ bunch parsley, chopped
1 tbsp Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning
Black Pepper to taste

Sort and clean the beans. Put in a large pot and cook with water, salt, pepper and some bacon grease. When the beans are about done, begin assembling other ingredients.
With some olive oil in a large skillet, fry the ham and the smoked sausage until lightly browned. Remove and set aside. In the hot fat, sauté the bell pepper, onion (both yellow and green), celery, parsley and garlic until it they're just beginning to brown. Add to the beans and stir. Add ham and sausage. Add water (or beer) and bring back to a light boil, then lower to a simmer. While waiting, add the bay leaf, black pepper, Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning and Tabasco.

Simmer the beans at least two hours to give the flavors time to mingle. Stir the pot two or three times per hour. After about 90 minutes, smash about one kitchen spoonful of beans and stir them in into the remainder. Smash more of them if you like your beans extra creamy. Add a little water if the sauce gets too thick. Add salt and more Tabasco to taste. Serve the beans over cooked rice. The usual hot, fresh bread is essential.