September 2020 Challenge - Write Every Day!

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
DAY 25 Wrote a 1k short story for class. Feeling good about it.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Quickie for today, you're gonna like this

25th: 1 word

I had coffee and it really screwed me up so I couldn't concentrate at all. I re-read the stuff i read last time and noticed I forgot a word. oops

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
Chase - woot on the Word! I can't drink coffee at all. 1 cup of decaf is my limit.
Starry - 1K story that you feel good about is fabulous!
2nd moon - hope you feel better soon. I struggle with chronic stuff. Good on you for persevering.
Cindy - +++ on adding words
Carrie - editing is just as important as new words. It counts!
Kerry - +++ for keeping at it
Morgan - Yeah on 30 minutes
Keithy - congrats on nearing the end with Demon Hunter. I love thinking about covers. So exciting!

777 words today. 2 days in a row!! Writing into the unknown. Not really sure where this will all go. New characters. New colony. New loves...

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Kerry, a few hundred words is great! Congrats :)
Carrie, congrats on the 500 new words and on the revisions
Cindy, added words! w00t!
Moon, congrats on the 1680
starry, nice work :)
Chase - that's the best Victory over the Blank Page I've heard
sandree, congrats on that 777

Day 26

WIP - added words
R/SC - swimming!
BP/$$ - housemate visit

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Second moon - ah, even when sick you churn out those words! :)
Starrystorm - congrats on that 1K
Chase - congrats on that 1 word. I bet it was perfectly formed. We've all done worse.
Sandree - 777 is a very angular number. Well done.

I read through four more chapters of Demon hunter draft 2 today. I should get this done in a day or two. Feeling excited now.

Thought about other stuff, but didn't do anything.

non-writing

bought carpet for stairs.
Got flu jabbed.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 26

Word Count - 922

Research - Is in North or South Alexander Street (in my hometown). North as I thought.

Dress Her in Chameleon - Spot edited Chapters 38 & 39. Finished Part Four: Strangers Within the Gate. Two more parts to go.

A Deadly Spill of Scarlet - Billy is fixing to find out that all his friends and ex lovers know he’s been hiding a wife up his sleeve.

Growing Up Buford - I started the first draft of a sequel to my article “The Hunger.” I have no idea yet what to title it. Hmmm…

Moon - You did good. Hope you feel better soon.:Hug2:

Starry - WTG on 1k and short story!

Chase - I wrote 2 one day this week under the phrases of Added Words.

Sandree - Excellent word count. I never know where I’m going, even sometimes on a second draft.

Keithy - “Chase - congrats on that 1 word. I bet it was perfectly formed.” :roll:

Layla - Woot on added words!

Last edited:

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
Day 26
30 minutes on the WIP.

Layla: Yay things!

Kerry: Some is better than none!

Carrie: Sounds like you're doing important stuff -- and you did get some words too!

Cindy: Yay words!

The Second Moon: Another great day! Congrats on the finished story!

starrystorm: Very nice!

Chase: Haha! Yay word! XD

sandree: Nice work!

Keithy: Yay for almost doneness!

ChaseJxyz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Sandree: Keep it up :) And I used to be able to drink coffee, I got it 1-2 times a week before work. But that was in the before times....
Layla: Congrats on the continued progress
Keithy: Awesome news!
Cindy: 2 words is, indeed, "words"
Morgan: Congrats on the 30 minutes

26th: 2,811 words

Finished ch 40 (finally figured out the last 2 tiny fight scenes), started and finished ch 41 (it was 2 pages shhh) and started ch 42, which is the last "real" chapter. After that is the "character endings" which is kinda Legally Blonde-eseque epilogue-type things and then the afterword; since this is a fictionalized retelling of historical events there's going to be some "I took some artistic liberties, okay" from the author and some name drops of future characters/countries. Crafting that will be interesting, because what the author knows/believes isn't always what the POV characters know/believe, and that also might not line up with what the reader knows/believes. Is the world flat? Is the night sky blue or purple? Was birbnobyl actually done by a giant bird? Who's right? Who's telling the truth? It's almost like a theme, or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Sandree: Keep it up :) And I used to be able to drink coffee, I got it 1-2 times a week before work. But that was in the before times....
Layla: Congrats on the continued progress
Keithy: Awesome news!
Cindy: 2 words is, indeed, "words"
Morgan: Congrats on the 30 minutes

26th: 2,811 words

Finished ch 40 (finally figured out the last 2 tiny fight scenes), started and finished ch 41 (it was 2 pages shhh) and started ch 42, which is the last "real" chapter. After that is the "character endings" which is kinda Legally Blonde-eseque epilogue-type things and then the afterword; since this is a fictionalized retelling of historical events there's going to be some "I took some artistic liberties, okay" from the author and some name drops of future characters/countries. Crafting that will be interesting, because what the author knows/believes isn't always what the POV characters know/believe, and that also might not line up with what the reader knows/believes. Is the world flat? Is the night sky blue or purple? Was birbnobyl actually done by a giant bird? Who's right? Who's telling the truth? It's almost like a theme, or something.

Carrie

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings!

Congrats on all the new words! I am finally back at it in earnest. I had a very good week and now have a lovely little group of readers with various types of expertise assembled. As expected, they did not all work out. But I am miles ahead of where I was. Today I got in 2020 words and am more than halfway through Chapter 13. We are learning the fallout of the terrible pontoon explosion and I have introduced a new character -- Barbabas the Great Dane! I hope you all are doing well and having fun writing.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Keithy, nice work
Cindy, nice 922!
Morgan, congrats on that 30 minutes
Chase, congrats on the 2811 and finishing two chapters :)
Carrie, congrats on the 2020

Day 27

WIP - added words
R/SC - chores
BP/$$ - job, 6.5 hours

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Cindy - great 922. Ya see, you don't need to be in the 1K club to do a lot.
Chase - ooh 2811 is a huge lot of words, well done. hat doffings and obeisances sent your way.
Carrie - hello Barnabas and well done for all those words.

I finished the penultimate read through of the 3rd draft of Demon Hunter. The final chapter got shrunk by 800 words. Anyway, next week I'll concentrate on Dustworld more, week after that a final final readthrough of DH, then off it goes to betas. I'm really trying not to be excited.

non-writing.

Put some handles on the new doors with mixed success.
Floor guy and handyman guy are back tomorrow.

icedesperado

Registered
Reaction score
Morgan: Grats on 30 mins!
Keithy: I'm excited for you :)
Layla: Yay for adding words!
Carrie: Way to go on 2020 words!

Day 25: 1066 words
Day 26: 0 words, wasn't feeling well
Day 27: 1256 words

Work has entered a busy mode again. I'm taking the last three weeks of the year off and I am SO excited to spend that time sleeping and reading and writing. I just gotta get there first.

Things are chugging along with the book. I hadn't thought too much about the final 1/3 of the book before (I've never gotten this close to finishing it before...) so I keep hitting walls. The good news is I keep tearing those walls down and forging onward. I'm on track to finish the first draft by the end of October.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Just popping in to say you guys are amazing--congrats all around on your ongoing progress.

My plan is to bow out of the thread until January. I blame apocalyptic world events continuing apace for my drag downward, but it could just be the shorter days.

Next month I will read through for flow again (fourth draft) and hope to be able to do so in ten days or fewer. Hopefully will send to betas by the end of the year and start snow-flaking the next project.

See you all in January!

sandree

Registered
Reaction score
���� to you Wooly! Those were hearts!

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Carrie: Awesome job on the 2,020 words
Layla: Good job on the words
Keithy: You have every right to be excited!!! Let yourself be
Morgan: Still great that you found the time!
Ice: That all sounds great! Sometimes you gotta break stuff to make new stuff
Woolly: Do what you need to to take care of yourself! And we'll gladly see you then

27th: break day

Did a little bit of second job, went to the store and BOY it was super hot out. Supposed to hit 100+ here today? Also one of the command strips that I have for my curtains just fell so that has to be replaced :| But I did some good thinking and got one of the character endings down pretty much entirely in my brain so writing that one won't be an issue at all. Making more stuff purple.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 27

Word Count - Added words

Dress Her in Chameleon - Spot edited Chapters 40 & 41. Lord willing, I’ll be at The End withing 9 days.

Morgan - YaY minutes

Carrie - Congrats on 2020 words!

Chase - 2811 words wowser!

Keithy - Congrats on the read through.

Layla - YaY for added words.

I’ve been working on an exhaustive tagline list type book promotion for my hometown group for Dress Her in Chameleon and am late reporting this.

Carrie

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings!

Cindy—Good work on the promotional stuff. I like to toggle back and forth between marketing and networking and writing. It feels too claustrophobic to write with no thought given to marketing.

Chase—100 degrees! Wow. I had to crack out my foot heater for the first time this season. I thought I could get by until October, but my feet were going numb under my desk!

WoolyBear—Catch you later, Woolybear! I will be bowing out at the end of the month for at least a month.

Icedesparado—Great description of walls and what to do with them. I find it is very much the same. “But I don’t know what happens next!” And then, of course, I do.

Morgan—Good work!

Keithy—Be excited! It’s exciting finishing up to the point where you have readers.

Layla—Good work as always.

2050 today and I registered for my first workshop as a fiction writer! Very exciting. It really is inexpensive to attend these things right now and I know I will need work on my pitch and query for this series as I will be seeking new representation. So, next week I start! I am still lining up readers but it has been a largely disappointing experience. I had my hopes up for one woman as she was quite experienced and all she had to contribute was her feeling that I used proper nouns too frequently and should use more pronouns. Really? Another one found my story a bit too dark for her taste. A third wanted to talk to me on the phone before she’d even read a full chapter. I am very glad I asked a lot of people because it’s going to take a while to get a proper team put together.

I hope you all are doing well and using as many proper nouns as the occasion demands!

Kerry56

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, just stopping by for a moment. Looks like lots of progress among you, though sad to see Wooly bow out for so long. Good luck on recharging.

I've doubled my word count since my last visit. I'm up to 4k now and ready to start the second character's story arc.

By the way, have you ever written a character into a corner and you didn't know how to get out? Almost did it this time. :)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Keithy - nice work
Morgan - congrats on the 30
ice - congrats on the words and the chugging, hope you got some good rest
hi woolly bye woolly take good care & see you next time :)
Chase - aaahh those break days. Enjoy it, fill that well
Cindy - congrats on those words
Carrie - congrats on the 2020 - whoops! 2050 ;)
Kerry - Hellooo! :waves:

Day 28

WIP - added words
R/SC - chores & errands, some ballet exercise
BP/$$ - got some information about how to dispose of a bunch of things I was stuck on because I didn't want to put them in the landfill; made a phone call and signed a form

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Morgan – hello baby, and well done with those words/minutes.
Icedesperado – 1K twice, that’s good work.
Woolly- good luck with that fourth draft.
Chase – enjoy the break.
Cindy – yes, I like “almost there” myself.
Carrie – 2050 words is a chunky fat load of words, well done.

Today’s progress:

1114 words done on Dustworld.

I’ve had some offers from Beta readers for Demon Hunter. Let me concentrate on Dustworld this week.

Non-writing

We now have a loft ladder!

Last edited:

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
Day 28
90 minutes on the WIP.

Trying to wrap it up by the end of the month, so I can have October free to prep for NaNoWriMo.

icedesperado: Nice work! We'll be cheering you on!

Woollybear: Sorry to see you go, but best of luck with everything, and see you in January!

Chase: Sounds like you thought some useful thoughts! Also: purple?

Cindy: Yay words! And promo!

Carrie: Nice wordcount! Sorry about the disappointing readers, though. Hope you get some better ones out of the bunch!

Kerry: Nice progress, and nice save!

Layla: Yay words!

Keithy: Baby snores in response! Also, nice wordcount!

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Day 28

Word Count - 1088

Research

• The last Carolina Parakeet was seen in…1910
  • What is the color platinum. White blond isn’t too sexy. I surfed it and chose “a shade lighter than ash.” No terrible exciting but better than the former.
  • What happened in 1985 pop culture. I chose Robert Ballard finding the wreck of the Titanic on September 1.
  • 1985 daytime TV. Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous episode where the camera pans on a framed photo of the Sha of Iran.

Dress Her in Chameleon - Spot edited Chapters 42 - 43

A Deadly Spill of Scarlet - Carolina and Harry the Wonder Dog are missing, but their disappearance doesn’t match the serial killer’s pattern. Billy’s DEADco boss wants him to go into the Witness Protection Program, but he’s having none of it.

Morgan - 90 minutes!

Carrie - WTG on the word count and workshop. I took the Writer’s Digest Online Workshop in 2006 and loved it.

Keithy - Awesome word count and YaY for the loft ladder!

Layla - Steady progress!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
So, that sick and weak feeling I had a few days ago was bad stomach bug. I didn't do any writing from the 26th-8th. I feel better now though.

ChaseJxyz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Cindy: The end is almost here! Exciting
Carrie: 2,050 is great! I hope you get some better luck with beta readers soon
Kerry: Apparently GRRM did so, with Dany being "stuck" in Essos. If you go back a little bit you might be able to back up and get yourself out of that corner.
Layla: Congrats on all the tasks
Keithy: Good work on the 1,114 words
Morgan: The bird that blew everything up some time ago was purple so magic/stuff from that is purple (usually). Grape fluorite color if you want to be more specific.
Second Moon: I'm glad you're feeling better!

28th: 14 words

Had a lot of stuff to do after work and got home late, and by then my allergies were kicking in and it was pretty miserable so I went to bed early.