• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Does anyone else do it like this?

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a fantasy, I write the narrative and figure things out as I go. I find that the more I think about what is ahead in the story, the harder it is to write.

I find that I'm writing the story to myself, so I've noticed that I'm writing things - in the narrative voice - that I know don't belong in a finished/reader facing text, so that I can find out what's in the story. For example, my character is going to take classes in 'charm making' - normally a trade, but there is a school of this art at the Royal College. She's just met with an administrator and I got the names of two of the charm-making classes from that. But it's really a 'so what?' kind of scene - what it does to advance the story is negligible, and I've had a good number of passages like this recently, that I'm pretty sure will be re-arranged into a more efficient story next version, but it's helping me get a more firm grip on how the story is developing.

I know it doesn't matter *how* I or others do it, as long as what I'm doing works for me. I'm just wondering if anyone else does it like this. It's fairly slow going for me, at least, but it's better than no going at all...

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That's a classic "pantser" approach. Plenty of people do it like that. If it's working for you, that's what counts!

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Discovery writing/pantsing all the way! Well, I usually have a vague outline of the story in my head, to the point I know what's going to happen at the rough beginning, middle, and end. But the in-between bits of plot and characterisation can go anywhere (and usually come out of nowhere). And yes, I do the same thing: write scenes that won't end up in the story. Or scenes that replace the ones that were meant to appear in the story. Or write all the scenes leading up to the start of the story, because I won't know where the story starts until I reach it. I also seem to produce a lot of what I can only describe as 'bonus content'. My current WIP includes zine excerpts, a chat log, misquoted alien poetry, agitprop, and the MC's Space-Tinder profile, not all of which are strictly necessary to the story or will appear in it in the end. It's might not seem very efficient, but it's necessary to my writing process.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
That's very much the sort of thing I do. I've been known, when I've been feeling stuck, to write my characters in a therapy session. I'm well aware none of that will survive to the final draft, but it helps me compose the story.

And yeah, it can be slow. But I know some planners who take months to outline, and polish each chapter as they write. I'm unconvinced in the long run they're doing it any faster than I am.

Drascus

Registered
Reaction score
I have tried outlining and it really doesn't work for me. Tried doing the full Sanderson method he describes in his class and less intense methods, they just kill my ability to write.

So I guess that means I'm a discovery writer! However that doesn't mean you have to be a pure discovery writer.

One thing I've discovered that helps is a sort of "signpost" approach.

For instance, I figure out an opening scene that sounds good and start writing, getting to know my characters.
I also have a vague idea for where the story should end up.

The next thing I figure out is what the next twist or big conflict or event is in the story. I have a "signpost" pointing toward this thing and I have to get from where I am to that next signpost of the story. This gives me some structure, but still the freedom to get there any way I want.

I'm still going to end up doing some scene cutting and re-writing, but that's fine. It'll be a little bit less this way because I know there are 3-9 events that have to happen in the story and I can write my way from one to another.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
My current WIP is an in-universe nonfiction book of historical events, so the "author" had to go and learn all this to write this story. I've written a number of additional documents that is essentially the author explaining other things, like the Kingdom's history or how this natural disaster affected other countries. It helps a lot with the world building because these things are already known (to me) so I don't have to make them up on the spot when writing.

Z0Marley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Personally, I do it in chunks. I brainstorm Part 1 and plan the scenes and beats as I get to them (Panster at heart, but it's simply efficient to try to keep me on some sort of path). Then I'll edit Part 1 while brainstorming Part 2. I never know every detail, and I personally love exploring the world as I write.

thehansell

Registered
Reaction score
I am a hybrid planner/pantsar. I make extensive planning notes about plot, theme and character, but sometimes the only way to learn about your characters is to write a scene.

Case in point - today I wrote a scene I'd set aside as a moment to shine for one of my supporting characters. It was his chance to show us what made him tick. Only problem was, in all my planning I hadn't figured out what that was. It took actually writing the scene for me to land on what motivated him.