• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Expanding text

tammons

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to write short and have been wondering if anybody has any tips on expanding text.
Like after the entire first draft is written.

More in depth character development.
More visual world building.
Getting into the head of the narrator with profound thinking, maybe like some of those profound passages by Joyce or Cormac McCarthy.

I have written three works so far.
One novel, one novelette, one short story.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps, rather that thinking of it as 'expanding text', you could look at fleshing out your characters and perhaps your plot as well. That will keep you away from the idea of adding in words for word-count sake, and lead you towards a more integrated result.

But it might be that you have a gift for shorter writing, and that the novel length is just too long for your style. There are some wonderful books that are basically linked short stories.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
My first tip is: decide where it is that your story is lacking, and then try to shore that part up with the appropriate tools and tricks.

Some authors, for example, are very strong on action and page-turniness, but less strong on, say, motivations or emotions. Other authors are very strong on world building but their plot is not as complex as it could be. In either case, addressing the lack will add words.

Of course, you might find that the whatever is 'lacking' might be fixed by 'less' rather than 'more'. A story lacking in clarity might need to have a few darlings cut, for example.

My second tip is: The Emotional Craft of Fiction. The exercises therein will lengthen and improve your story, by adding emotion. But this tip only applies if emotion is lacking in your story.

tammons

Registered
Reaction score
Not just expanding text to add words. I figured out long ago that doesn't work for me.

I guess I got the idea of fleshing a tight story out more from listening to an interview with Annie Proulx.
She stated the same, that she tends to write short and tight and then expand.

I edit and rewrite about a million times anyway, and I do some of that already. I just want to push it further.

tammons

Registered
Reaction score
My second tip is: The Emotional Craft of Fiction. The exercises therein will lengthen and improve your story, by adding emotion. But this tip only applies if emotion is lacking in your story.

This - thanks. I will check it out.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I edit and rewrite about a million times anyway.

Me too. Tight and punchy is good, and going deeper in the right spots is great.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not just expanding text to add words. I figured out long ago that doesn't work for me.
Oh, good - I was just working from your thread title. So, yes, deepening and shading and colouring are excellent ways to approach the task. I like to try listening to my characters and asking them questions. It's one of my fave parts of writing.

Good luck :)

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
My first drafts are always short (WAY shorter than genre expectations) and I use the subsequent drafts to expand.

While I've done the
More in depth character development. More visual world building. Getting into the head of the narrator
my favorite things to add are conflict and tension.

The best example I have from my own work was an auction, which in the first draft my character lost and and it was disappointing and oh, well. But auctions are naturally rife with conflict and tension, right? So in subsequent drafts I really played that up, drew out the scene, and I added what I thought was a much more interesting and engaging scene.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
My first drafts are always short (WAY shorter than genre expectations) and I use the subsequent drafts to expand.

While I've done the my favorite things to add are conflict and tension.

The best example I have from my own work was an auction, which in the first draft my character lost and and it was disappointing and oh, well. But auctions are naturally rife with conflict and tension, right? So in subsequent drafts I really played that up, drew out the scene, and I added what I thought was a much more interesting and engaging scene.

I was thinking something similar when I woke up this morning. A few fraught moments (scenes) that technically might not need to be in the story can be added (or augmented) in low-tension parts.

If a character enjoys a sport, say soccer, it can come in through props they push out of the way in one part of the book, the reason for their physique in another part, and then a big game (scene) where they get knocked off their feet but they make the goal (or they don't) can be fun to add, too.

Last edited:

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
I struggle with 'under writing' so much. Great advice, I'll be watching this thread!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
A trick I use (because I also write short), find places with "quiet time", like where you say "One week later" or "the next morning" to skip some time with not much happening. Figure out something to put there. They're often excellent spots for character development or bonding, and can potentially lead to new subplots that make room for even more things.

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
I always write minimalist and go back and add things in revision. I know that I'm doing it and I know what needs to be added. I'll even leave myself notes in the manuscript on what to expand on and I also maintain a "revision notes" list of things I know need to be changed or expanded when I come back around to it.