Three Cs that every writer needs...

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Note: I tried to post this earlier today, but cannot find it. If it's a duplicate, I apologize.

Every writer needs three Cs in their toolbox. If you don't have them, you should get them.

Cheerleader - someone to give you constant encouragement. This is the person that thinks you are brilliant. Everything you write is the best yet. No matter what you write, they want to read it, and they are happy they did. These people give us the bright spot that keeps us chugging along.

Coach - someone to keep us growing. This is the person that reads what we write and challenges us to be better. They reward the successes and callout the failures. A good coach pushes you and will not let you off the hook. They insist we keep our deadlines and achieve our goals. They acknowledge each victory, but remind us that it's a stepping stone, and help us set a new goal. These people are more than readers, they are often writers too.

Critic - someone to find the weaknesses that are holding us back. This person will read what you write for the sheer joy of pointing out where it doesn't quite work. Sharing with this reader can be bruising, but if they are good, they will ferret out the problems. They can't be a good critic if they are just mean, they have to be right, and we have to recognize when they call out a problem. Our critics remind us that we are human and have room to grow.

All three of these tools improve us. And we can outgrow any one of them, but they should be replaced. Remember, no matter how good you are, there is someone better that you can learn from.

And don't forget, you should be this person for someone too. A huge part of becoming a writer is helping your peers on their journey too.

Come out and play with us. There is plenty of space, and lots of kind faces.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Geez, my mind immediately turned to explicit words starting with C...

Maryn, grizzled erotica author

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
Yup, me too, the one, oh, wait a minute, two....

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'd think that a cheerleader is a dangerous thing for a writer. Someone who slavishly praises you regardless of the quality of your writing is not helpful.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
In the strictest sense, you can become a great author completely on your own with no help, but it is a whole lot harder to achieve. Find the three C's if you can, and I argue this site has all three in droves.

As for Cheerleaders being dangerous, they are only dangerous if you don't have the other two. No one needs a sycophant, but cheerleaders genuinely want you to succeed. I find that cheerleaders keep up us buoyed when critics make it hard. We need all three.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
In the strictest sense, you can become a great author completely on your own with no help, but it is a whole lot harder to achieve. Find the three C's if you can, and I argue this site has all three in droves.

As for Cheerleaders being dangerous, they are only dangerous if you don't have the other two. No one needs a sycophant, but cheerleaders genuinely want you to succeed. I find that cheerleaders keep up us buoyed when critics make it hard. We need all three.

No one needs all three to be a 'great' writer, whatever a great writer is. The coach and critic can be bundled into a mentor. As for a cheerleader, it's probably better to get a dog.

My 2 cents.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Dogs are awesome. I stand by the recommendation though.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
No one needs all three to be a 'great' writer, whatever a great writer is. The coach and critic can be bundled into a mentor. As for a cheerleader, it's probably better to get a dog.

I kinda think the only one that's genuinely helpful is the coach. And I think it's possible to survive without one, but I think a good one can accelerate learning.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
I certainly started writing without anyone. I think most people do. And, honestly, I spent most of my time with spotty betas and occasional partners. Over time though, I learned that giving criticism improved my writing. And then I learned that getting criticism improved my writing. Completely by accident I learned that a cheerleader increased my volume, and that improved my writing by sheer force of repetition. A good editor is a great coach, which greatly improves your writing.

It wouldn't surprise me if lots of people have done very well with out, but I'm not sure anyone with all three would say they'd prefer none.

I'm offering a perspective that I encourage anyone to try out.

And, I'm inviting anyone that would like to try to come out and practice, get a taste and make up your own mind. This is great place to meet any of the three roles. I enjoy it here.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I suspect one problem here is you've said "every writer needs" all three types of readers. That deserves as much sceptical side-eye as any other blanket statement about writing. It might be your experience, but you can't extrapolate it out to be a universal truth.

I'm someone who appreciates a bit of cheerleading as I write, because I'm always riddled with doubt about whether a WIP is on track, and the reassurance helps me to keep going. (Note: I have alpha readers who do encourage me, but that's not their sole role -- they're also great at pointing out problem areas or things I've missed. I'm not sure a pure cheerleader would be of much use except as an ego boost.) Other writers don't have this issue, so they don't need anyone in that cheerleader role.

As with all things in writing and publishing, there's no universal experience. People work differently and write differently and need different types of input. The only thing we can all hopefully agree on is that dogs are wonderful.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Dogs are wonderful.

As for the list: I'm overanalyzing what I think was meant to be a pep talk, of sorts, but: no, I do not ever need someone who makes it their mission to tear my stuff apart. Of course, that's not my definition of a good critic, either.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
Be Frank - this thread is in Erotica, because I wrote it. I haunt only a few forums here.

LizMonster - that is not a good description of a critic. My son is my critic, he's an aspiring writer and wants to prove himself, so he is thoughtful and diligent. He pokes holes in all my writing, usually some science fact or a failure of logic, but he's always right. And, because he's my son, I know that he's on my side, and not just an asshole.

Believe it or not I mostly don't write Erotica, but it's where I grew up and love to support the community, and I'm never shy about going a little blue, given the opportunity.

You are all welcome to come out and play, we can use as many good minds as care to join us. We can help with your racy scenes or not so racy ones.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
This person will read what you write for the sheer joy of pointing out where it doesn't quite work.

I have been extraordinarily lucky to have some good critics. I've also had people who open every story with knives in their hands. The latter is not a good thing for me. I also don't think that's really what you meant, despite what you said.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You are all welcome to come out and play, we can use as many good minds as care to join us. We can help with your racy scenes or not so racy ones.

Well, hang on - we are all very active members (omg, see what I did there?) in AW. And we are also helpful, in our own quiet way. Well - not that quiet. Just not purely Erotic.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
LizMonster - correct, I said that, and this
They can't be a good critic if they are just mean, they have to be right...

I think we are in the same place now as to what I meant. A tough critic, that digs, and looks for the weaknesses, not a jerk who simply wants to draw blood.

InkFinger

Registered
Reaction score
McCardey, also correct, you are very active members. And since this is in Erotica, I am inviting you to come out to the Erotica section and help us grow too.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
McCardey, also correct, you are very active members. And since this is in Erotica, I am inviting you to come out to the Erotica section and help us grow too.

ISWYDT what you did there, young man. :granny:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I have been extraordinarily lucky to have some good critics. I've also had people who open every story with knives in their hands. The latter is not a good thing for me. I also don't think that's really what you meant, despite what you said.[/COLOR]

That's also not OK anywhere on AW.