Funny problems unique to writers...

seashelly

Registered
Reaction score
I agree about information overload. I have many many documents I have collected in the name of research and I'm afraid to weed any of them. What if I need that PDF on raising llamas someday? Better keep it!

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
I sometimes have an issue trying to make the first draft perfect. I get into that mindset, and I struggle over every sentence. It’s better when I just type whatever comes into my head, even if it’s crap! Then I can fix it later haha, this way I actually get things done

jeb101

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
And, Lady, I thought I had a problem trying to sort through a couple of dozen things I had written over the years and maybe a hundred photos! :)

Take care - stay safe - jb

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I agree about information overload. I have many many documents I have collected in the name of research and I'm afraid to weed any of them. What if I need that PDF on raising llamas someday? Better keep it!

For me, it's having a kajillion websites with writing advice, world building resources, and general information bookmarked. So when I need to access a specific thing, I can spend a lot of time sifting through them all. I do have different folders, but when you have fifty or more links in each one it can be hard remember which one is that really cool article I remember reading a couple years back.

And woe oh woe when that awesome link about renaissance-era firearms or the flush toilets of the Indus Valley Civilization or whatever comes up "dead." At least there's no one to pull the plug on that pdf files about llamas.

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was a $10-$15 pen from Staples. It was awesome, but I'm just going to go pick up a new pen today. If I find the old one, I'll use both!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
It was a $10-$15 pen from Staples. It was awesome, but I'm just going to go pick up a new pen today. If I find the old one, I'll use both!

My favorite pen is a space pen (the type used by astronauts). It was more than $20 at NASA but well worth it. Luckily it has a key ring so I clipped it to my journal. The pen has outlived two journals and still going on strong. I got a second space pen for my birthday a year or two ago, just in case, but have yet to use it.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Space pens are awesome. I keep one next to my bed, because it writes in any position, even upside down, so it's perfect for those middle-of-the-night insights.

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
I just lost my first, and decent, pen!!!!!!!!!!

Nooooo!!!

I was using clicky erasable pens for a little bit and I loved them, but when I had a lapse in usage for about a week, they ALL dried up, the whole pack of 10 - even the ones I had never gotten a chance to use!!

Morgan_R

they/them
Registered
Reaction score
Explaining to friends that I'll be incommunicado in November. Because NaNoWriMo.

(Fortunately I have understanding friends.)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Other participants on a manor house tour: "Oh wow, that looks like original Paul McConfrey stemware on a rosewood inlaid Chapperfield table and early Georgian Montrose chairs with hand-stitched silk and linen cushions beautifully offset by the lead-crystal fanlight over the triple-hinged cross-breeze Versailles doors."

Me: "Did the salt the cook had access to contain iodine this far inland? Or did all these people have goiters?"

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
New one... the jingling on my dogs collar. I love her to death, and I usually move her bed beside me when I write. Then, right in the middle of a good thought, she starts scratching. Jingle jingle jingle. She’ll stop and I’ll keep writing. Then bam, again. We repeat this cycle a few times until I take her collar off.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
For me, it's having a kajillion websites with writing advice, world building resources, and general information bookmarked. So when I need to access a specific thing, I can spend a lot of time sifting through them all. I do have different folders, but when you have fifty or more links in each one it can be hard remember which one is that really cool article I remember reading a couple years back.

And woe oh woe when that awesome link about renaissance-era firearms or the flush toilets of the Indus Valley Civilization or whatever comes up "dead." At least there's no one to pull the plug on that pdf files about llamas.

When I find cool stuff that I know I can use in some story (that I may not have actually planned yet), I'll PDF the link using PrintFriendly and save the file.

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
New one... the jingling on my dogs collar. I love her to death, and I usually move her bed beside me when I write. Then, right in the middle of a good thought, she starts scratching. Jingle jingle jingle. She’ll stop and I’ll keep writing. Then bam, again. We repeat this cycle a few times until I take her collar off.

At least it's not your dog snoring loud enough to wake the dead. My dog does that, but I write at my computer while she's on my bed (usually claiming my blanket or pillow). I love her though.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
For backstory, I've been writing a short story collection from animals' POVs. This morning I was doing a paper for school when I wrote "Paul, on the other paw..." instead of "Paul, on the other hand...". Luckily I caught it before submitting it. :tongue

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to wonder what your instructor would have thought if you hadn't caught that.

Maryn, chuckling

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
Depending on the paper's topic, I think you probably should have gotten extra points for that one. I'm sure there's loads of scenarios where paw, rather than hand, would have been totally appropriate. Sure, most of them would have to be vet or zoology type subjects, but...

ClockworkMidnight

Registered
Reaction score
That fine line between not wanting to disturb the magic that's happening and peeing your self.

THIS. There's been so many time i'm in the middle of an emotional scene and the urge just hits me like a truck.

Another problem i have is my cat. "Oh, you're writing? No, you must pet me and i will stand on your keyboard while you do it."

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I was searching names on a baby names website for ideas of what a particular character's middle name should be (yes it's important to the story, albeit a comedic subplot, but still important) and now I'm getting Facebook ads for pregnancy websites and apps!

Facebook thinks I'm pregnant! :ROFL:

It's even more funny when you consider that for ages and ages Facebook was giving me ads for gay dating websites inviting me to find male partners and straight dating websites inviting me to find female partners. (I'm bi and female.) I think I just confused the algorithm even more...

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another problem i have is my cat. "Oh, you're writing? No, you must pet me and i will stand on your keyboard while you do it."

LOL! My cat just spent half of a NaNoWriMo Zoom session lying on my hand. Big boost to productivity, that was!

Back in the Olde Times, when there wasn't a website for everything, I used to buy baby name books. I eventually gave up trying to explain to cashiers who congratulated me on my impending offspring (don't have kids, don't want any) and just said a simple "thank you."

MsVibey

Registered
Reaction score
Wrens. My desk is at a window, and in the wren mating season - which as far as I can tell is any season at all because they're exhuberant little devils - the boy wrens and girl wrens gather on my window sill and regard me with deep deep hatred. I think they're hoping for privacy, but it's my window too, rite?

I love wrens! Don't see them often in my part of Melbourne, alas. My particular distraction at the window next to me here in The Cone of Silence (ie. my office) are common blackbirds, whose song I find absolutely delightful. I've taken to leaving food out for them, which is probably another distraction, but hey - I've attached deep symbolic meaning to these birbs so it's OK.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed another writer-y problem last night, while I was pretending to watch football with Mr. Maryn but really goofing around online.

Words.

I found a cool word with a cool meaning and shot a fast email to myself to add it to my massive list of cool words. This morning, I discovered that word was already listed, but sheesh, does any other group of people collect words and their definitions in documents past twenty pages long?

Maryn, confessing