Funny problems unique to writers...

Writative

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like writers have a unique set of problems that we try to overcome, be they search engine results, waning batteries, pets that hamper productivity or what have you. So I'm going to list one of mine.

Laptops.

I wish I had one. Not a portable computer--I've got one of those. I just wish that when I sat down, I still had a laptop to put it on. I'm just too big!

Imagine all the places I could write!

What about you?

(Please note, this is a light-hearted post meant to be a safe space to share and commiserate. Please be kind.)

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Well . . . I literally gouge holes in my keyboards with my fingernails from typing so much.

That could be more of a fingernail problem. Gotta go find the clippers . . .

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wrens. My desk is at a window, and in the wren mating season - which as far as I can tell is any season at all because they're exhuberant little devils - the boy wrens and girl wrens gather on my window sill and regard me with deep deep hatred. I think they're hoping for privacy, but it's my window too, rite?

Last edited:

Writative

Registered
Reaction score
Well . . . I literally gouge holes in my keyboards with my fingernails from typing so much.

That could be more of a fingernail problem. Gotta go find the clippers . . .

Oh man! I hope you have rubber keys and not plastic ones! But hey, can't deny the productivity trophy of a hand-shredded keyboard!

Writative

Registered
Reaction score
Wrens. My desk is at a window, and in the wren mating season - which as far as I can tell is any season at all because they're exhuberant little devils - the boy wrens and girl wrens gather on my window sill and regard me with deep deep hatred. I think they're hoping for privacy, but it's my window too, rite?

You have a window? You want wrens? 'Cause that's how you get wrens!
What are you doing in your office to inspire them so?

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
There is no room for all the documents I have open at any one time for reference on one computer monitor...

So I hooked up three more. PLUS I have a stack of papers with notes and folders and things a good 5 inches high on the desk in front of my central monitor.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wear the lettering off my favorite letters, which are apparently I, O, S, H, L, N, and the comma and space bar. Yeah, I know: what about E and A? (Shrugs.)

I know that because I took off my keyboard skin, which I love but which I wear out in about ninety days. Next computer I get, I'm using a skin from the get-go, and buying multiples.

(If you're considering a skin, make sure the key configuration matches. It's easy to get the wrong one.)

Maryn, skinned alive

Writative

Registered
Reaction score
There is no room for all the documents I have open at any one time for reference on one computer monitor...

So I hooked up three more. PLUS I have a stack of papers with notes and folders and things a good 5 inches high on the desk in front of my central monitor.

Oh yes,I have this problem. If I could spread out all the reference papers I needed around me where I could see them, my eyesight would no longer be adequate to READ the darn things

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
@Maryn, Recently got a new computer (not b/c of the claw-based injuries) and am trying a keyboard skin. I've never liked the feel of them, but maybe my keyboard will last longer???

I've found it's not the letters I use the most but the ones that I hit a certain way. Specifically for me it's the index finger of my right hand—something about nail length and the way I hit the keys . . .

@mccardey - I want wrens! Send some my way. :)

Writative

Registered
Reaction score
Keyboard skin? Well there's a new something I didn't know I couldn't live without! Cool.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love my keyboard skin and wish my desktop wasn't so old I can't find a skin for it, too.

You can usually choose between a slight tint but transparent, grey or black, and bright colors. I like the bright multicolor, although the fewer-typos I'd hoped for based on my eyes and fingers learning things like the comma is in the blue section and the period is in the purple didn't happen. They're under ten bucks, not a huge self-indulgence.

Words.Worth

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say but I'd better not (too graphic too shlocking too violet).

Last edited:

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
People coming in the shop to interrupt me writing at work. Go ahead, take your business elsewhere, you made me forget the end of this sentence — it was going to be a damn good one too!

spoonlamp

Registered
Reaction score
In answer to the original post, right now I'd have to say work. I'm in the military and we tend to get drafted from one base to another every couple of years or so. This current draft has been an absolute nightmare for my writing. Late finishes, high stress, office bound, lack of exercise, none of it is conducive to an environment where I'm emotionally consistent enough to be writing all the time. Really feel like the whole thing is on hold until I can get to the next place which can't be as bad. Right? Please say it can't be as bad?!!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It can't. It simply isn't possible.

Maryn, real sure

ladyfickle

Registered
Reaction score
One of the greatest problem I have is with the volume of research. The other day I opened my Books folder on my external hard drive and looked at its properties. I have got 39 GB (more than 100,000 files - mainly pictures and texts), which are my vital necessities for writing. I feel like a squirrel who has gathered winter preserves in several tree hollows and she has forgotten where she has left them. I don’t know how other authors live without 40 GB of research material. They are neatly organized and I don’t know where to start!

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Caring about the one ticky aspect nobody else cares about of some major topic, but that my pedant brain needs to get right for the story to work. Right now I'm working on an idea with a nuance so commonplace that people at the time (1840s) in that location (Washington, DC) would have found so intuitive that nobody (despite all my research so far) thought to comment on. All the historians want to talk about is the higher-level issues, and not the nuts and bolts of how it played out.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
One of the greatest problem I have is with the volume of research. The other day I opened my Books folder on my external hard drive and looked at its properties. I have got 39 GB (more than 100,000 files - mainly pictures and texts), which are my vital necessities for writing. I feel like a squirrel who has gathered winter preserves in several tree hollows and she has forgotten where she has left them. I don’t know how other authors live without 40 GB of research material. They are neatly organized and I don’t know where to start!

Believe me, organization is over-rated! :Hug2:

*She says, while shuffling through stacks, filing cabinets, and drawers, for that snippet of a scene written ten years ago, which is now perfect for the present project, and simply must be in there somewhere!*

(Two hours later, the snippet is not found, partly because too many old files have proved too appealing not to re-read, and the author is wondering which one should be dusted off and turned into a book after all, and my, that one was rather good, wasn't it, and oh, what was I looking for anyway?)

ladyfickle

Registered
Reaction score
We, the contemporary writers live with an overload of information we can't process - and that actually affects our imagination.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
We, the contemporary writers live with an overload of information we can't process - and that actually affects our imagination.

Well, we do learn to filter and process selectively. At the beginning of a project, everything seems like it could be relevant; but after you've spent some time on a subject, you begin to build a knowledge base and attach the truly relevant pieces to it. I think there's always a phase when starting, though, that feels like you're drinking out of a fire hose.

And, of course, there's a feeling of mixed thrill and frustration whenever you discover a new historical database open to the public--because you know you'll never, ever, ever have time to read through the whole thing before you die. And you really want to. :snoopy::Headbang:

Meemossis

Registered
Reaction score
My writing desk is also my work desk where I make things for my small business. (I'm currently leaning over a glue gun and scissors as I type this.) When I decide I want to write, I have to do thirty minutes of tidying up first.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm working on an idea with a nuance so commonplace that people at the time (1840s) in that location (Washington, DC) would have found so intuitive that nobody (despite all my research so far) thought to comment on.

Oh, lordy, yes, this. The tiny little thing that apparently is not documented anywhere in the entire internet, but that you absolutely have to know. I've taken pictures of the trash cans at a public zoo, because it was a plot point. I'm planning a stay at a particular hotel in Zurich (once that's a thing again), because it's the only way I can find out what the light fixtures are like. (It matters.) I hear ya.