Status
Not open for further replies.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
My late husband was from New York. Over the years we made many, many summer car trips to NY, usually along I-70. Now, that was 40-50 years ago. I-70 was still pretty new so maybe we weren't always on I-70. . Over the years we used to stop in roadside parks to picnic and water the kids. I am certain that we stopped often at a small park that featured a memorial to Jessamyn West. I remember this because she was one of my favorite authors. The park also mentioned that Friendly Persuasion and her Quaker stories were written from her family stories of this area. I want to use this little park in a novel that I am writing but I cannot find it by google or old road maps. Is my 70 year oldmemory straight? Does anyone remember this park? I think there were wild grapes too, because a toddler daughter filled up on grapes while we were not looking and this made for a miserable trip as there were only cloth diapers back then. Thank you--s6

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Try Vernon, Indiana, on SR7 south - southeast of Indianapolis, and parks in Vernon and between. Here is a link that connects West with Muscatuck Park which has had other names in the past.

http://www.jenningsco.org

Jessamyn West-Famous author of over 20 books. One of her most famous works was Friendly Persuasion, in which a movie of her book was released in 1956. The movie and book centered on Vernon's part in General John Hunt Morgan's raid. She also wrote short stories and poems

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Thank you Wooly. I think this is it. I remember that the grapes were on a creek. I don't think we made it to the mill but stopped at a small park over the years. Scipio seems to ring a bell, too. Are you a Hoosier or are you a West fan?

I went to college in Iowa, on the Mississippi. It was a Catholic girl's school and a lot of students were from Indiana. The Indiana girls used to walk to the cafeteria in a group singing the Wabash Cannonball. The girls from Gary used to sing Gary, Indiana, of course. The Chicago girls sang "Chicago, Chicago." The Iowa girls sang that song about never seeing eye to eye in Iowa. I was the only kid from Kansas so I had to walk along and hum Home on the Range.
Thanks again for finding my park.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
LOL I'm a hoosier from Posey County, went to a catholic high school. I knew a Wabash song once. Forget what it was.

You make me wish I was from Ooooooooo--klahoma.

Wikipedia said West was born in Vernon and moved when she was 6.

Your story reminds me of Girl of the Limberlost which is set in Indiana.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Born and raised in South Bend, St. Joseph County. Currently live in St. Paul, Minnesota (moved here in 1991). There's a Wabasha Street up here. To this day, I still think it's a typo.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I married a Kokomo boy. Been to Indiana a bunch of times, when his parents were still living.

Status
Not open for further replies.