True Detective

LuaVerena

Creative Creature
Registered
Reaction score
Years late to this but I finally got the chance to watch True Detective recently and wanted to chat about it. Really enjoyed both seasons 1 and 2 (unsure if I will watch the 3rd as I've had the end majorly spoiled for me already) but I actually prefer the second season to the much more beloved first. Curious what other people's thoughts are about them.

Beccorban

Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't get into Season 2. I think I stopped at the shotgun scene.

Season 1, though, is some of the best television I have ever watched. It grabbed me from the word go. If I hear 'Carcosa' (which is admittedly not often) I get shivers. Rustin Cohle was such a sublime character. Who would have known you could make a nihilist so likeable.

What is it about 2 that kept you going? Does it get better?

MulkyWay

Registered
Reaction score
I do like Season 2 but it just can't get on the level of Season 1 for me. I actually stopped Season 2 and ended up rewatching it several months later. There are some extremely powerful scenes in that season though, and I think Colin Ferrell is terrific.

Season 1, like our friend above, is one of the best seasons of television I've viewed. From the storytelling to the themes to the acting to the cinematography, to the way everything plays out years after it all began, it's just terrific tv-making at its finest. It might also be because I'm more partial to the backwoods swamp crime than I am the big-city stuff. Both seasons are quality though. I have yet to watch season 3 but plan to get to it eventually.

Beccorban

Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone watch Galveston or read the book? It's supposed to be the thing that inspired the tone for True Detective season 1.

Challenger007

Registered
Reaction score
As for me, one of the best TV shows. There are about 12-15 of them for me, but of the detectives, this one is practically the best. It's difficult to compete with Colombo. Colombo is an immortal classic.