Dogs and other pets during a heat wave

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My poor dogs were panting like crazy even though they were sleeping in front of a fan.

I had a solution. I put water on the dogs which they didn't like but then I got a towel wet (not soaking) and put it on the dog bed. Yay, they like that and they are much cooler now.

Probably works for humans too if you have fans but not air conditioning. :D

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
My poor dogs were panting like crazy even though they were sleeping in front of a fan.

I had a solution. I put water on the dogs which they didn't like but then I got a towel wet (not soaking) and put it on the dog bed. Yay, they like that and they are much cooler now.

Probably works for humans too if you have fans but not air conditioning. :D

I've used this technique at dog agility trials on warm afternoons. As long as it's a dry heat, the convection plus evaporation thing works pretty well. I have no idea what people and animals did/do in really humid places without AC, or even fans. Probably a reason the hound dogs were always pictured lying around on front porches during southern summers.

It's been hotter than heck here in central CA this week and not cooling down much at night either. We may hit 112 tomorrow, unless the smoke from the fires creates a cooling effect. We have AC, but the dogs are driving us bonkers because they want to go play outside, but they don't understand why it's not a good idea. Mine are herding dogs, not more sensible breeds, so lying around on front porches is not in their makeup. The BC mix and the kelpie would happily kill themselves running around in the sun. The malinois mix is getting older, so she's a bit more subdued. She still wants her walks, though, even if it's still 90 out at bed time :p

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've used this technique at dog agility trials on warm afternoons. As long as it's a dry heat, the convection plus evaporation thing works pretty well. I have no idea what people and animals did/do in really humid places without AC, or even fans. Probably a reason the hound dogs were always pictured lying around on front porches during southern summers.

It's been hotter than heck here in central CA this week and not cooling down much at night either. We may hit 112 tomorrow, unless the smoke from the fires creates a cooling effect. We have AC, but the dogs are driving us bonkers because they want to go play outside, but they don't understand why it's not a good idea. ....
My dogs have been only going out for a few minutes then they want back in. But this morning one of them laid down in the shade and seemed fine so I left him. I went out when I thought too much time had passed and freaked out because I couldn't find him. He's deaf so calling doesn't help. I could see there weren't any holes in the fence. Finally I found him sound asleep in the dirt under a Colorado Blue Pine. Its lower branches hug the ground.

I had to carry him in he was that sleepy, I think from the heat. But he's fine now.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I made mud pits for them like we have for the pigs. They also took baths in the horses' water, much to the horses' horror.
:roll:

I'm picturing Nessie popping up startling the horses. Or jumping in while the horses were drinking, making a big splash.

Once I stayed with a friend in a house we needed to get water from a pump out in a pasture where it dripped into the cows' water trough. I was stunned to see my friend shoo these huge cows off so she could get to the water. The cows could have easily pushed my friend out of the way but the power hierarchy isn't always based on size.

It finally cooled off here, enough so I could move the patio table with an umbrella away from the sliding door where it shaded the house. It's a fall right of passage. Next the leaves will start falling.

Last edited: