UK Police at crime scene 1990s onwards - refreshments from public

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
My basic question is can the police in the UK accept refreshments from the public when they are at a crime scene?

Years back I gave tea and biscuits to police at a road block near my house, but that wasn't actually a crime scene.

In particular, can they accept if:

1. The person is a witness
2. The person is a possible suspect

or only if they are neither of the above.

And would it be limited to a cup of tea, or could someone say "hey we've cooked supper, there's plenty to spare, would you like a plate full?" and the police being able to say yes.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Not in the UK, and I only know police work from what I see on TV. I'm sure more qualified people will be along shortly.
But, if it was an 'active' crime scene - looking for clues, looking for witnesses, taking prints and generally working - I wouldn't offer or accept anything - men at work, job to do, on duty, etc.
Different if it's hours later, they've got a man keeping an eye on the scene for intruders, or, as in your case, officers just directly what traffic might come in the middle of the night. They've been standing in the cold or rain for ages, so you offer them a well-meant cup of tea and a biscuit.
What is an officer going to do with a nice plate of dinner should a suspect or a criminal turn up - say "Excuse me while I finish this", or just toss the plate on the ground, wipe his fingers and try to look official? Oh, won't that look good in the press, or in a formal report.

And, what idiot would take food from a suspect or a witness? Maybe the person wants the officer dead, or drugged enough that the suspect can do something illicit, or, just damage the officer's reputation in court: "He was staggering, and could barely talk, your honour. He must have been drunk! Can we trust a word he says?"

But, sometimes idiots get the most unlikely jobs, so I imagine there would be a blanket order - no food, especially no drink - from the public.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a cop, but I highly suspect that police wouldn't be allowed to do that sort of thing at a crime scene. For one thing, they have to be careful not to contaminate the crime scene as they will need forensic evidence. Then there's the matter that if the person offering is a possible suspect, the cop won't want to do anything that could jeopardise bringing the crime to court, or that could prevent key evidence being admissible in the court. Also, as there is a possibility that such a gesture could be seen as bribery. Even if they and the person who's offering both know it's not bribery, the cop will still be concerned about leaving themselves open to accusations.

All in all, I think a good cop would politely decline, with thanks.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In Australia, there's a lot of this sort of thing with the fireys, if that helps. Not the cops, because they're either working or they're back at the office, but with emergency workers, once the threat is passed - yes. I don't know if that's useful.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
OK.

I should have phrased my question a bit better. I wasn't meaning giving policeman food to take into the active crime scene - but for policeman attending a crime scene to be offered food once they are on the doesn't matter side of the crime scene tape. If there is a big area to search there could come a point where they all take a break on the right side of the crime scene tape and someone could trot forwards to say "would you like some bacon sarnies" or whatever.

On TV drama I've seen police accept all sorts of stuff from cups of tea, cake, from all sorts of characters including suspects as sometimes it's a ruse to get the householder into the kitchen so one of the detectives can have a nose around the house (possibly illicit and not admissible in court). There was one programme where someone provided a big vat of soup for all the searchers including LEO to warm themselves while they were taking part in a missing person search and the soup was made from the missing person......:D (I think that was in Criminal Minds.)

I was concerned about conflict of interest for the police and possible problems in a court case - hence asking the question as to what really happens.
I could see it happening especially out in the sticks, no fast food for miles, end of a long day, budget cuts means no canteen on wheels, further area to investigate, they're cold and tired...
But wanted to know for sure, either way, from someone who knows for sure.

Other than that, our firebrigade get given all sorts too, especially if out on a big fire that runs for days such as on moorland. And a lot of the pictures show junk food in brightly coloured packets of the sort that might mean those firefighters won't looking so sculpted in the next topless calendar....

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Neandermagnon, I hadn't thought of the bribery angle, but you're right, in court it could be made to look very bad - if not actual 'bribery', than 'overfamiliarity' for sure. Not an offense probably, but enough to discredit the officer, and any testimony he might give.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And a lot of the pictures show junk food in brightly coloured packets of the sort that might mean those firefighters won't looking so sculpted in the next topless calendar....
Might make a couple of interesting lines. One firefighter refuses a packet of junk food, the others mock him, that he wants to 'keep his figure for the calendar'. Another, less attractive guy grabs the packet with thanks, saying he's not going to make the calendar in any case.
In general, I think people think of firefighters differently than policemen. And, there's probably more down-time at the edges of a fire scene, than at a crime (unless there's a big search on.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Neandermagnon, I hadn't thought of the bribery angle, but you're right, in court it could be made to look very bad - if not actual 'bribery', than 'overfamiliarity' for sure. Not an offense probably, but enough to discredit the officer, and any testimony he might give.

I work in the financial sector for an employer that takes compliance *very* seriously so I've had numerous anti-bribery and corruption training along with anti-pretty much every other kind of financial crime training, so that's what jumped to mind. In the financial sector offers of gifts/hospitality above a certain value have to go in a gifts/hospitality register and there are rules about when you can/can't accept stuff like that, although I can't remember the finer details because it's not applicable to my role. But when clients/customers offer gifts etc, it's not so much about thinking that they're trying to bribe you, it's more about not leaving yourself open to accusations. Same with conflicts of interest.

So I'd be surprised if the police don't also have fairly strict rules about what circumstances they can/can't accept a cuppa and bacon butty from a member of the public, and it'll be mostly about not leaving themselves open to accusations - including in relation to what may or may not affect a court case, rather than any firm belief that the person offering is the guilty party trying to butter up the cops. I don't know what those rules are but I do think it's definitely worth finding out. I'd be inclined to ask someone who works as a cop. Back when I played rugby there were a couple of women on the team who were cops, but not sure who I'd ask nowadays - maybe there's a website that has the conduct rules for the police?

ETA: also I think it won't be the same as the fire brigade because fire fighters aren't really that open to accusations of bribery and corruption to begin with.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Off-topic, but I don't know which is more impressive: rugby players with police training, or police officers with rugby training. In either case, best not to run when they say 'stop'.

LarsonFan

Banned
Reaction score
Off-topic, but I don't know which is more impressive: rugby players with police training, or police officers with rugby training. In either case, best not to run when they say 'stop'.

Also somewhat off topic though I can tell you that me, a Football Conference washout once outran two police officers because I was in the country without a work permit and had lost my passport. So... I mean, if a hungover 22-year-old me could do it it can't be that hard.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Also somewhat off topic though I can tell you that me, a Football Conference washout once outran two police officers because I was in the country without a work permit and had lost my passport. So... I mean, if a hungover 22-year-old me could do it it can't be that hard.

Fear lends wings, eh? I am pleased that you made it and are still with us!:Hug2:

Matchu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.drysailorboy.wordpress.com
Memorandum 6353 states no refreshments to be accepted from civilian by-stander scum...probably...but for the sakes of fiction we have evil murderess arrive under the frigid lamp post at 2am, carries a mug of Horlicks, a couple of biscuits, and wears a dressing gown only [gurgle]. PC Middlebrain accepts the temptation and etc etc

a) Writhes in agony on the road

or

b) Requests more biscuits

or

c) Fetches his own dressing gown from the panda car/vehicle.