A long dry spell drier than a dead dingo's donger

MsVibey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Before introducing myself I set out to say hi to all the newbies on the first page but the slowness of the forum and the having to log in several times during the process defeated me. Sorry, newbies - I really wanted to.

First up, let me say how excited I am to be on an actual forum, with an actual community. Like - genuinely excited. I've had an online life for a long time now, and as much as I use social media (too much, probably) it's just not the same for community, support, common interests, and relationships.

About me. I'm a working writer of many years - I went pro when I was in my teens and I'm in my middle ages now - and teacher of writing for 25+ years. Professionally I've mostly concentrated on articles and personal essays (or as they're mostly known by people who hate the E-word, opinion pieces) although I love short fiction have a few books under my belt too, one of them a romantic comedy. About seven years back I turned to the dark side: marketing. Not just that, I found a niche - content marketing - and found that I really loved it and was good at it. These days manage the content marketing for one of Australia's largest companies. Sweet.

Not so sweet is that outside the occasional blog post I haven't written creatively, for myself, for about ten years. Life threw several curve balls at me that put me in survival mode, and survival mode elbowed my personal labours of love out of the way. I even stopped reading fiction, something that the person I used to be would have considered unthinkable. So while I'm writing, and editing, it's for other people, and the lack of a creative outlet has for the past couple of years become unbearable and kinda brought on a midlife crisis of sorts. I need to get back to it because it's killing me not to do it.

But guys... I'm rusty. So rusty. So I'm here for the accountability and the inspiration, and hopefully to help out and contribute. You're all my lifeline for getting back to myself and getting back to my thriving creative self, but hey - no pressure.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're all my lifeline for getting back to myself and getting back to my thriving creative self, but hey - no pressure.

We're good at that - it's how we procrastinate ;)

Welcome, from another Aussie. I hope you're staying well and not letting covid-iso get you down.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, no! The dreaded dead dingo donger doing danger downunder!

Welcome, anyway. Pull up a gum tree stump and tell us more of your struggles returning to the world of reading and writing.

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This post’s title is so Australian, I’m an American reading it and suddenly it’s beer’o’clock and I’m flat out like a lizard drinking! :ROFL:

:welcome:

MsVibey

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! Already I feel welcome. And yeah... the title was my way of telling everyone I’m Australian without telling everyone I’m Australian - it’s good to know that the community hails from all around the world.

I have two projects in their very early stages. One is a piece of fiction that will probably be a novel although it’s pretty cinematic in my head. I’m currently poring over my characters and really getting to know them and what makes them tick. I normally take a fair bit of time doing this but this time more so because this story is based on a dream I had, of meeting my high school love after decades. It was really compelling, but I couldn’t give the story to a character who’s actually me or the guy I was in love with, so giving it to two new story people is where I’m at.

The other one is for a potential podcast, in approach (not subject matter!) it’s a cross between Let’s Not Meet and Strangers, and it’s about the conversations couples have in that innermost of sanctums (is that the right plural?): the bedroom.

As for the reading, I’m floundering! My favourite writer is Gabriel García Márquez but if I tried reading him where I am right now I’d probably have some sort of neurological accident. So I’m pulling my old kids’ books off the shelf and easing my way back in with those. Heidi, anyone?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, you can tell everyone you're Australian! Not as a general thing, of course, you should actually be Australian, and not a dyslexian Austrian, for instance.
If you are only pretending to be Australian, the real ones will suss you out, quick enough.:welcome:
This is why I use the avatar that I do - so that I am clearly Canadian, and neither British nor American. Although my spelling can go either way.:e2brows: