Is bud-com a thing?

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
It recently occurred to me that four of my favourite movies of all time are buddy comedies, and that I might like to try writing one. But are buddy comedies a thing in novels?

Obviously friendship is a central theme in lots of books – Cat’s Eye, Sula, The Body, Circle of Friends, Beaches and Summer Sisters come to mind. The only comedies I can think of though are The First Wives Club and Wonder Boys – but TFWC is an ensemble, and WB is very much Grady Tripp’s story and I’m hoping to find examples that more closely fit the dual-POV rom-com formula (ie two MCs sharing page space fairly equally – just with friends, not lovers).

Can anyone help me out?

Last edited:

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, I really need to read Circle of Friends - I enjoyed the film and didn't realise at the time it was adapted from a novel (must've missed some of the opening credits)!

One that comes straight to mind as a dual perspective (3rd person) and about friendship is About a Boy by Nick Hornby. However, this doesn't fit the above mould as it switches POV between a thirty-six-year-old man and a twelve-year-old-boy rather than two adults. A lot of it stems around the fact that the man (Will) is horribly immature for his age and the kid (Marcus) is very mature; Will helps Marcus learn to be more of a kid and Marcus teaches Will to become more of an adult. I thought it was vaguely parent-child - that's probably extremely debateable - but it's far more about an intergenerational friendship. It's extremely humorous in my opinion and I don't normally laugh out loud at books.

There's also a more recent example: Invincible Summer by Alice Adams. Dual perspective (again third person) from the perspective of four young people, two women and two men. You do get a love triangle, but it's actually handled very well, which is impressive as most love triangles make me want to bang my head against the wall. It follows the friends across several decades and I'd say this was a bud com to an extent. I would also say that it veers into literary on occasion, but of course that's a very subjective area.

I'm going to scan my bookshelves and get back to you if I find any other examples!

Personally, I'd love to see more modern novels that revolve around the deep friendship between characters, whether it be two people or more. That said, more than two POVs in a novel can be hard to handle well (of course, great authors can pull it off) but that's probably going off topic!

Ellis Clover

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Animad! About a Boy is a great book, and definitely a bud-com of sorts. It's not quite madcap enough for what I have in mind, though. I haven't read Invincible Summer - it sounds interesting, but again, not the format I have in mind for a classic bud-com.

To be clear, the 'favourite movies' I alluded to are very much high-concept comedy first, everything else second, and that's what I'd be trying to capture in a bud-com novel. It's interesting that examples seem to be so thin on the ground - not sure if I should take that as a warning sign?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think part of the problem is reader expectations, and comedic expectations.
If the buddies are male and female, most readers will go into it expecting romance.
If you want visual comedy, it's easier to film than to write.
Thus, there are lots of bud-com movies, but few books - or even novelizations.
Look at the 'classic' classics - Martin and Lewis, Hope and Crosby, Steve Martin and John Candy. For that matter - the Odd Couple - the movie, the TV show, all the variations.
Watch one, pick a bit that really sounds like what you want, and figure out how you would put it in words.

I suspect that if you had exactly the right characters (each a clear type, and unlike each other), and could give them different voices in your head, you could do it. Then all you need is a circumstance that would force those two differing people together.
Good luck!

Last edited:

LarsonFan

Banned
Reaction score
There should be.

From my own experience though there seems to be some genre limit. From what agents have told me is that comedic fantasy doesn't sell, for example. Although I think most novels could benefit from more jokes it would probably be a wise move to research the genre before you spend two or three years crafting a book that's took funny for genre expectations.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, don't send your stuff to agents who say that comedic fantasy doesn't sell. They missed:
Terry Pratchett
Douglas Adams
Robert Lynn Aspirin
Jasper Fforde
and many more.

Perhaps re-read some of these and see how they did it, and then, what fits with what you have in mind.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There was a little boom in comedic fantasy in the 90s. Then it collapsed, & except for some top sellers pretty much dried up as a market for a while. But these things are always changing. It might be hot again next week.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
There was a little boom in comedic fantasy in the 90s. Then it collapsed, & except for some top sellers pretty much dried up as a market for a while. But these things are always changing. It might be hot again next week.

Recently, Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames - a fun, wild mashup of fantasy tropes and rock band culture - has done rather well and has at least one sequel. And there have been some popular MG fantasy humor titles within the past few years, though MG's sort of a different market; there's always going to be a market for fun stuff aimed at kids, while adults have to relearn the concept all too often.

Ellis Clover

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry I disappeared! My laptop's been on the blink.

If you want visual comedy, it's easier to film than to write.

I suspect this may be the crux of the issue.

Look at the 'classic' classics - Martin and Lewis, Hope and Crosby, Steve Martin and John Candy. For that matter - the Odd Couple - the movie, the TV show, all the variations.
Watch one, pick a bit that really sounds like what you want, and figure out how you would put it in words.

I suspect that if you had exactly the right characters (each a clear type, and unlike each other), and could give them different voices in your head, you could do it. Then all you need is a circumstance that would force those two differing people together.

'Classic' comedy isn't really my thing tbh. And only one of my four favourite budcom movies has the odd couple dynamic, so I don't think that's a necessary element for good comedy.

In fact, I'm starting to think one of them in particular has all the makings of a terrific novel; it would definitely be useful as a sort of loose template if I decide to give this project a go. (Romy and Michele's High School Reunion, if anyone's curious ;))

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I was aiming for things that you were likelier to have heard of, and didn't rely on special effects and stuff. I am older - these are what I know.
But, the idea is the same, get the general idea of how something similar to what you're going for works, and study it. If 'Romy and Michelle' inspires you, examine it - look for what you really like, and work on how to write to get a similar effect.
'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure' might also be similar?
But, try to figure out why this is common in movies, and not in novels. You may start a trend.
Actually, set pieces like reunions, weddings, big family occasions are probably an excellent starting point for you, in that everyone understands the basics, so you're building on what the readers know. Now see what your characters do with it.
Good luck.

Ellis Clover

Registered
Reaction score
'Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure' might also be similar?
<snip>
Actually, set pieces like reunions, weddings, big family occasions are probably an excellent starting point for you, in that everyone understands the basics, so you're building on what the readers know. Now see what your characters do with it.
Good luck.

Bill and Ted is probably a good example! I'm definitely thinking goofy/colourful/maybe even a bit cheesy, but in a heartwarming way. A big event seems central to all my favourites (the Catalina Wine Mixer in Stepbrothers; the Village of the Year competition in Hot Fuzz) so that might be a good starting point for brainstorming. Thanks :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with it! I don't see why the idea couldn't be well done by someone with a good idea - you may spark a whole new genre!

Last edited: