• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Almost finished editing my second chapter. Should I capitalize this word?

Lalaloopsy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm stuck. Should I capitalize the word "reality" if I'm referring to it as a place?

Example:

"In my imagination, life was fun and carefree, but reality was a much different place; a place where everything was boring and stressful."

OR

"In my imagination, life was fun and carefree, but Reality was a much different place; a place where everything was boring and stressful."

Also
Would you capitalize the word "boogeyman"?
As in:
"I will never walk through the park alone because I'm afraid of seeing the boogeyman."

Thanks for reading.

KittenEV

Registered
Reaction score
Website
eventsias.wixsite.com
If Reality is the proper name of a place then it should be capitalized. I.E. "Reality was my favorite bar in town." If it's just referring to a indeterminate place, then it should be left lowercase. I.E "She didn't belong in this reality."

Not sure about boogeyman capitalization.

Lalaloopsy

Registered
Reaction score
If Reality is the proper name of a place then it should be capitalized. I.E. "Reality was my favorite bar in town." If it's just referring to a indeterminate place, then it should be left lowercase. I.E "She didn't belong in this reality."

Not sure about boogeyman capitalization.

I'm not really sure.

Reality isn't actually the name of the place, just the situation she's in.

As in:

"I don't live in a fantasy world, I live in reality/Reality."

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can do this: “Welcome to Reality, population: me.” Reality being used as place-name, as metaphor.

Or you can do this: “Fantasy is nice, but I prefer to live in reality.”

I don’t think you can do this: “Living in fantasy is nice, but Reality is better” unless Reality is an actual city/country/world.

Last edited:

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
That great, oh-so accurate source, Wikipedia, thinks that Boogeyman/Bogeyman should be capitalised.

However, authors should realise that they're allowed to make some style choices. Every editor I've worked with has - in track change edits - asked me about my intentions with words before they "fixed" them, and allowed me to have things as I want them to be.

But yes to capitalising Reality if it's a proper noun.