Two dumb questions

Tarley

i was normal 6 dogs ago
Registered
Reaction score
I say dumb questions because maybe I am just seriously overthinking this...but here goes.

1. When an agent's submission guidelines say to indicate whether you are first-time writer (or if this is your first novel), do you say you are even if you have written, and queried, other manuscripts? I am assuming what they are asking is only if you have anything published.

2. I am querying a new manuscript in the same genre as my first, which means I am querying some of the same agents again. I know agents see gazillions of queries and the likelihood of them remembering someone who queried them years ago, even if they requested a full, is low...but even so, I am wondering if agents do happen to remember a querying writer, are they less likely to read subsequent queries out of hand because they didn't like previous ones?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Not an agent, but:

1. When an agent's submission guidelines say to indicate whether you are first-time writer (or if this is your first novel), do you say you are even if you have written, and queried, other manuscripts? I am assuming what they are asking is only if you have anything published.

I think you can answer this by being precise: "I am not yet published." I like to think most agents are aware writers tend to produce (and often query) multiple manuscripts before they get traction in the publishing world.

Also, "debut author" has a little bit of cachet in the publishing world, so I'm inferring that's what they're asking about.

2. I am querying a new manuscript in the same genre as my first, which means I am querying some of the same agents again. I know agents see gazillions of queries and the likelihood of them remembering someone who queried them years ago, even if they requested a full, is low...but even so, I am wondering if agents do happen to remember a querying writer, are they less likely to read subsequent queries out of hand because they didn't like previous ones?

Based on following a bunch of agents/publishing chit-chat on Twitter: you'll only be in trouble if you were a jerk last time. A professional interaction isn't going to work against you.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my extremely limited experience, editors (and presumably agents as well) keep some kind of record of who they've dealt with in the past. They're likely to know you've queried before, so don't lie about it. "Not yet published" is excellent.

I once got a rejection from an editor who'd published me sixteen years earlier. They were pleased I was still writing and mentioned my earlier title by name. I was impressed by their record keeping.

Maryn, who can't even find half the things she's looking for

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
My situation isn't typical (since I've been published since I first queried), but I spoke with an agent last summer who mentioned I'd queried her in 2013. I do have an unusual last name, though, so I don't know if she checked or just remembered.

TL;DR: Yeah, assume they'll remember you, but be proud of your current work and professional with your queries, and you'll be fine.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
One of the members on here (shoeless) queried the agent he currently has with a variety of previous manuscripts before finally signing. Most agents like to see that you've got better and have finally "made it" :) I know that short story editors do, too.

TylerJK

Registered
Reaction score
I say these aren’t dumb questions, I’ve learned from this thread!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
If you are querying an agent who previously requested a full and they rejected saying something like "please think of me when you have another manuscript" or "I would like to see further work from you" then this is worth mentioning in your new query. The agents do mean it.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have not been published/not had a novel published/only self published/whatever works for your situation.

Agents are like elephants, they always remember. Hopefully because they liked your work... :)

Jeff

Raspberry

Germlish Speaker
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know whether they really care if you have submitted before... they only care about what you offer now. Don't fret over it. Submit and be honest about it.