Look out a different window

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
This is one of those things that I'm surprised it took COVID for someone to come up with it.

A couple in Singapore came up with the idea of breaking the work-from-home boredom by hosting 10-minute HD videos of the view from other people's windows. They started with 15 cities last month are have something like 2000 submissions now. I watched a few yesterday and saw Giza, London, Paris, Cornwall, and a few places in Russia.

Mashable article

Site: https://window-swap.com/

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
And I think it's possible to bookmark the videos, at least in Firefox.

Right-click the video and scroll down to "This Frame" then choose "Bookmark this frame." I tried that one time and it bookmarked the video at Vimeo.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a twenty-minute stretch of my life I'll never get back. Fascinating.

MsVibey

Registered
Reaction score
Omigosh - this is right up my alley. I recently became addicted to GeoGuessr for this same reason!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Didya see the badgers? Didya, didya? Like 5 or 6 of them, eating some kind of badger-chow out of containers in someone's back yard!

I can hardly wait for someone to put up an animal-cam in a dog-park!

Writative

Registered
Reaction score
Are you trying to sabotage my productivity? Are you? Because that's how you do it! lol Seriously cool site though, thanks for the share

spoonlamp

Registered
Reaction score
Like I didn't have enough of a hard time making the time write!

Great find, although I used to find myself looking for similar things just scrolling through peoples Periscope channels and looking for streams where it wasn't teenagers explaining what clubs they went to last night...

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Maryn recorded our back yard from the upstairs on a windy day, and I think he put it up. But subsequent visits haven't shown it to me. (I guess I could look outside, but no-o-o-o.)

Since he had fun with it (and is clearly feeling cooped up if he's willing to set up the tripod), I'll ask him to do it again as fall foliage gets colorful, and a third time when it snows. Maybe he can get a moonlit night with some wind. Those are awesome, although not great for sleeping.

Maryn, whose curtains don't close in the back of the house

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Mr. Maryn recorded our back yard from the upstairs on a windy day, and I think he put it up. But subsequent visits haven't shown it to me. (I guess I could look outside, but no-o-o-o.)

Since he had fun with it (and is clearly feeling cooped up if he's willing to set up the tripod), I'll ask him to do it again as fall foliage gets colorful, and a third time when it snows. Maybe he can get a moonlit night with some wind. Those are awesome, although not great for sleeping.

Maryn, whose curtains don't close in the back of the house

That's cool! And the last time I visited, they said they were really backlogged with submissions, so maybe it's just caught in the queue.

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
I just heard about this last week on a podcast, ha! It really is a cool idea. I popped on for a bit a saw a potted plant on a porch in Uganda, a tree blowing in Hamburg, the Millenium Falcon parked in Marina del Rey (only the boat version, unfortunately), and someone circling the block looking for a parking spot in San Francisco.
Of course the guys on the podcast had to go on and wonder if crimes ever get captured in these videos, and how you could possibly report it if you saw it.
“Hello, 911? I’d like to report a robbery.”
“Ok, sir, can you tell me where?”
“Um... Uganda?”

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Or, "I saw my ex, walking down what looks to be a Mediterranean street with someone, and they look happy! Grrr."

Words.Worth

Registered
Reaction score
Looking out of my bedroom oriel you wouldn't see much social value or would you. Scissorbills crawling out of a red light street like rats and the tourists teeming with their hi tech devices …. No no no