First post - Hello!

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!
I’m brand new to the site, fairly new to writing as well, only a few years under my belt, but I’m enjoying the adventure. I really started writing with NaNoWriMo, so I am one of those insane people who thinks it would be fun to spit out a novel full of mostly nonsense in just 30 days. And now I have 4 novels technically written but in states of revision varying from a complete and total mess to yeah, alright, I think this is pretty good. My goal is to get these published eventually — and I do ultimately want to see “Bearvalanche” the Movie ;) — and I have realized I am now at the stage where I need outside opinions, so I’m trying to delve into the world of critique partners and a friend pointed me to this community, so here we go.
I would tend to say I write in a fantasy genre, but I’m always a little bit hesitant about that label, because it tends to conjure images of elves and dwarves — which, don’t get me wrong, I love to read, but it’s not what I write. Multiple ancient gods have shown up to bother my modern mortals, for example, and the essence of a star was transferred into a pig. (Also, “Bearvalanche” is exactly what it sounds like: an avalanche of bears.) Absurdist fantasy, perhaps? I’m still figuring that out.
As far as leisure reading, I have always broadly loved fantasy and sci-fi — one of my favorite games is to browse a bookstore and see if I’ve read at least one book on each shelf through those genres — and I’ve more recently graduated to biographies of people I think sound interesting. Turns out non-fiction can be pretty cool too! But, again, not what I write.
So that’s pretty much me; I’m looking to find like-minded people with more experience than I have, who can maybe point me in good directions re:editing and publishing, and also to exercise my own critique chops in kind, since I know reciprocation is a very important part of the whole process.
Looking forward to the journey, cheers!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our pleasure to welcome you, Gatteau. Take the time to read the links in regdog's post and you'll be able to use the site and fit in without a single misstep.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Gatteau. We love our visits to Lake Tahoe. Beautiful country.

I'm exhausted from reading your packed words. :greenie I'm originally from Montana, so I understand bearvalanche as too many bears bearing down on a campsite. :e2bear::e2bear: :e2bear::e2bear:

MsVibey

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Gatteau! Fellow newbie here who'd like to say: if Sharknado landed, then surely Bearvalanche's time has come.

Gatteau

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, my thoughts exactly; I’ve even got actual plot!!