Trump: I will terminate Social Security & Medicare funding if reelected

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/08/trump-just-admitted-live-television-he-will-terminate-social-security-and-medicare

Common Dreams said:
President Donald Trump on Saturday afternoon openly vowed to permanently "terminate" the funding mechanism for both Social Security and Medicare if reelected in November—an admission that was seized upon by defenders of the popular safety net programs who have been warning for months that the administration's threat to suspend the payroll tax in the name of economic relief during the Covid-19 pandemic was really a backdoor sabotage effort.

Announcing and then signing a series of legally dubious executive orders, including an effort to slash the emergency federal unemployment boost by $200 from the $600 previously implemented by Democrats, Trump touted his order for a payroll tax "holiday"—which experts noted would later have to be paid back—but said if he won in November that such a cut would become permanent.

The Trump campaign was apparently so satisfied with the public acknowledgement of the president's promise to make the payroll tax permanent—a move that would inherently bankrupt the Social Security system—that it clipped the portion of the press conference and shared on social media immediately after it concluded. The president's critics did as well, though they carried a different message:

Friendly reminder, if victorious on November 3rd, @realDonaldTrump will GUT Social Security and Medicare.

Defenders of the program, including the advocacy group Social Security Works, were quick to point out the implication of what the president said and condemned Trump for threatening the program that has kept countless millions of people out of poverty—during retirement years or due to disability—since it was created over 75 years ago.

"We just heard it straight from Trump's own mouth," the group responded: "If reelected, he will destroy Social Security."

Commonly known as the payroll tax, those are taxes paid both by employers and employees—as dictated by the The Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA)—that go to pay for both Social Security and Medicare.

Saying the quiet part of this long-time GOP goal out loud, this close to November, makes me wonder whether he actually understands what he just promised to do?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Saying the quiet part of this long-time GOP goal out loud, this close to November, makes me wonder whether he actually understands what he just promised to do?

Absolutely. His base must have been elated. At the end of the day, the amount of cheering is what Trump lives for.

-cb

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the Biden campaign doesn’t explain this, clearly, for what it is, and run ads about it constantly, then they sort of deserve to lose. I mean, this is the proverbial third rail of US politics that Trump has just seized. It doesn’t get much easier for the Democrats than this.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Absolutely. His base must have been elated. At the end of the day, the amount of cheering is what Trump lives for.

-cb

Many of his base are in the over-65 crowd. Are they going to be cheering this? He's already hurt his standing with this demographic, thanks to his bungled response to a virus that is especially deadly to the elderly.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Many of his base are in the over-65 crowd. Are they going to be cheering this? He's already hurt his standing with this demographic, thanks to his bungled response to a virus that is especially deadly to the elderly.

I talked to a woman who's in her 70s the other day and she said to me that she's never voted before in her life, but this year she's registered to vote because she likes what trump has done for the country and wants to vote for him. Talk about voting against your best interests. I know she lives off of SS and if he really did manage to succeed in taking it away, she would be screwed. She lives in the same government assisted apartment housing as I do and her income is based on what she makes and can afford. She would have to end up living with relatives or try somehow to find a job.

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I talked to a woman who's in her 70s the other day and she said to me that she's never voted before in her life, but this year she's registered to vote because she likes what trump has done for the country and wants to vote for him. Talk about voting against your best interests. I know she lives off of SS and if he really did manage to succeed in taking it away, she would be screwed. She lives in the same government assisted apartment housing as I do and her income is based on what she makes and can afford. She would have to end up living with relatives or try somehow to find a job.

I just don't understand the thought processes of people like her. How do you exist for 50 years with the ability to vote and just...don't? My mother and I never agreed on politics but she set such a great example for me, taking me to the polls while she cast her votes for Reagan. They had a mock up of the voting machine levers I used to play with.

I assume this woman somehow thinks they won't take away her Social Security. So few people seem to understand that how we treat "those people" - whoever they are this time - sets the baseline of rights for everyone.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I am 70 years old and not only did not vote for Trump, but did not vote for Reagan because I saw the future in his lying eyes. Do not lump us oldies together, far more of us are progressives than you think. In fact some of my 70ish friends have morphed back into the anti-establishment hippies that we once were. Some of them are getting a little crazy. A couple of my old college friends were headed to a protest in Kentucky when they heard that people were getting shot. The guy made a sharp right turn to head back to Maysville. He said, what with the cane and the heart pills and all, he didn't think they could move fast enough to dodge bullets and tear gas. His wife still isn't speaking to him.
As for your 70 year old Trump fan friend, we have a way of dealing with folks like that-- offer to give her a lift to the polls and then don't show up. She will never figure out how to find you on her landline. --s6

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I assume this woman somehow thinks they won't take away her Social Security.

“I never thought leopards would eat MY face,” sobs woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People’s Faces party.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I am 70 years old and not only did not vote for Trump, but did not vote for Reagan because I saw the future in his lying eyes. Do not lump us oldies together, far more of us are progressives than you think. In fact some of my 70ish friends have morphed back into the anti-establishment hippies that we once were. Some of them are getting a little crazy. A couple of my old college friends were headed to a protest in Kentucky when they heard that people were getting shot. The guy made a sharp right turn to head back to Maysville. He said, what with the cane and the heart pills and all, he didn't think they could move fast enough to dodge bullets and tear gas. His wife still isn't speaking to him.
As for your 70 year old Trump fan friend, we have a way of dealing with folks like that-- offer to give her a lift to the polls and then don't show up. She will never figure out how to find you on her landline. --s6

I know quite a few older folks too that can't stand trump and have not and will never vote for him, my mom included. :D Boy, does she hate him!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I know quite a few older folks too that can't stand trump and have not and will never vote for him, my mom included. :D Boy, does she hate him!

Mine too! And my spouses parents. But something about apples and trees, right?

Still, there is some evidence his support with older voters is slipping compared to 2016. This is guardedly good news, since older white voters are one of the GOP's more reliable demographics.

“I never thought leopards would eat MY face,” sobs woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People’s Faces party.
:roll: and :cry:

I always think of this whenever I remember the interview with that women who was so worried about the GOP repealing the ACA because they couldn't get insurance for him without it (and someone or other in her family is sick and needs insurance). But she voted for Trump and still loved Trump. It really is a weird kind of Stockholm syndrome with some people, or like an abusive relationship some people are too cowed to leave.