Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
This question is for all you biochemists out there. Wikipedia has info but it's much above my level of comprehension, I'm looking for an answer in laymen's terms.

My magic system is very science-based and there are different "kinds" of magic/energy based on what the energy actually is. Examples include electromagnetic radiation, the strong and weak nuclear forces, (potential) chemical energy in hydrocarbons and, the subject of this question, ATP, which is "life force"/qi/whatever you want to call it. Specifically the energy/magic of a living thing is the energy created when ATP loses a phosphate and turns into ADP (which makes the cells do the thing), so certain characters can "look for"/"follow" this energy in themselves and in other living beings.

At the moment of death (which I'll define as "when the heart ceases to beat") you stop breathing, so you are no longer getting oxygen. I know you can make ATP anaerobically (though it's much less efficient and there's some nasty waste products, which isn't really an issue if you're dead), so you'll automatically switch over to that once the oxygen is used up, but you'll run out of glucose at some point, too. How long will that take? A few seconds? A few minutes? A few hours?

So now that you're not making anymore ATP...what happens to the stuff that's in you? Does it get spent during normal cellular processes since they haven't gotten the memo that you've died? How long does that take? Or does it just hang around and break down (denatured?) as everything else begins to decay? I imagine that's a pretty slow, gradual process, right?

Also is there anything else that I should know that I haven't thought of or just don't realize I don't know?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
If I remember correctly, anaerobic metabolism can produce ATP in a given cell for around 30 seconds before your cells must switch over to aerobic metabolism. This is why you can't sprint etc. for very long. There may be some differences between cells that are specialized for anaerobic and those that aren't, because the former can store a bit more glucose and creatine phosphate (allows some short-term regeneration of ATP), but you run through your cells' reserves very quickly. We're talking no more than few minutes, though. There's a reason we die within minutes when we can't breathe. And some tissue, such as nervous tissue, is even more dependent on aerobic metabolism. Extremely low temperatures can slow this process, but of course freezing someone would cause cell membranes to burst.

Normally, cellular membranes start to rupture within 4-10 minutes of death too, depending on ambient temperature, because CO2 and lactic acid build up, lowering pH in the fluid between cells. Once a cell membrane is ruptured, that cell cannot function, and ruptured organelles within the cell release digestive enzymes which start to "eat" the cells from within.

And once the heart stops beating, of course, there is no new glucose (blood sugar) that can be taken up by a cell either, so if anything, anaerobic capacity ceases even more quickly after death. Our cells run out of ATP very quickly after death, and they exhaust their capacity to renew it anaerobically very quickly as well. Now people can survive cold water drownings just above freezing for longer periods of time, because cold temperatures lower metabolism and demand for ATP as well as the process of cellular decomposition. But an extremely cold corpse would be unable to function metabolically because, well, it's cold.

Now there are organisms that can live of different types of anaerobic fermentation, as it's called. They are generally small and simple, or have much lower metabolic rates than we do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.