Long day editing and doing layout

Mr. Finnlee

Registered
Reaction score
I'm finishing my third non-fiction book to be self published soon. I spent most of the day doing some polishing on my manuscript and then doing a bit of layout on my desktop publishing computer. I use Scrivener to compose my manuscript and compile and organize research etc., then I transfer the manuscript into Scribus to physically compose it into book form suitable for printing. It works, but it is also somewhat cumbersome.

For those who self publish what is your preferred method? I would very much appreciate any tips or advice. Thanks!

InfinteStarsDev

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also a fan of Scrivener.

With short stories I normally work between Scrivener and Google Docs, but I've never had to do any layout for print before.
For visual novels, I normally work in Scrivener, but then once it's transferred to the engine I might do short snippets in the engine itself. (Though I will do a once over spellcheck if I do any in engine work). From there it's fiddling with the code and the results until I'm happy with everything. It does go a little faster once I've established the feel I'm going for, like a template to compare it to.

Not much in tips or advice unfortunately.