JohannaH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ouches.org
Good afternoon everyone,

I'm Johanna and it's nice to meet you.

• What genres do you write?
Contemporary fantasy (speculative fiction / magical realism) and YA. I'm currently working on contemporary retellings of American folktales, and always looking for local folklore. I'm freelancing non-fiction, mostly blogs so far but I hope to work my way up. I also blog about life with chronic pain at Ouches.org.

• What do you like to read?
I'll try anything once. Most of my reading is in the SFF zone. I also read a lot of environmental non-fiction, poetry, folk tales, ghost stories, cookbooks, gardening books, graphic novels, and the occasional mystery.

• How long have you been writing?
Always but paid since fall 2019. I used to be a professor (geography/environmental studies) but I got sick and had to stop working. After a few years of recovery, I decided I would return to my goal from when I was very young of becoming a writer. After quite a bit of floundering around, I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of working in this odd, odd way.

• Do you beta read?
I'd love to. I have beta read one novel and that was a lot of fun. Do tell me your expectations of a beta reader if you want me to help. (I've beta read a pile of academic stuff and I will bet you $3.50 that the expectations are very different.)

• Do you have any particular hobbies? Are you expert in any particular field or craft?
I am an expert in environmental law, politics, and economics, particularly in the areas surrounding energy. (I have a Ph.D. and a J.D.) - thud -
I'm fairly skilled in gardening and the use of herbs. I love fiber arts, especially crochet, but am still learning. I love reading, cooking, and cats. But definitely not cooking cats.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Johanna. It's nice to meet you, too. :greenie

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

InfinteStarsDev

Registered
Reaction score
Hello fellow gardener!

Welcome to the forums, and may your plants live long and prosper!

What is some of your favorite plants?
I have a lovely orchid collection, and recently started collecting rare ferns!

JohannaH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ouches.org
The cornerstones of my garden are culinary herbs and native plants. It's half jungle anyway - so I don't plant anything that is expensive or picky. I'm of the theory that if it doesn't live when I put it in the ground right, it's the plant's fault and I won't choose that plant again. I have thyme and marjoram out the wazoo, and they are my favorite plants right now. Black-eyed susans are currently blooming and my goldenrods are about ready to bloom and they make me happy as well. I love my little spiderworts (Commelina), my arums with their bright berries, my wild ginger (Asarum canadense), wild bergamot (monarda fistulosa), and my crazy lawn that is filled with edible greens in the springtime.

I love ferns. I have several but none are rare. There is a place near where I live (southern IL) called Ferne Clyffe State Park that has huge numbers of ferns, some never found elsewhere. (Yeah, someone got cutesy with the name). I go there to practice my plant IDing. But IDing ferns is tough.

Sending you and your garden my best!

MsVibey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Johanna, and welcome from a fellow newbie! We have things in common: herbs (the only plants I have managed not to murder), crochet (my daily compulsion when watching telly or sitting through Zoom meetings), cooking (kinda out of control on that front at the moment) and lots more besides. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Last edited: