• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Biology: Some water beetles survive being eaten and excreted by a frog

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/water-beetle-frog-eaten-alive-escape-death-butt-excretion

Science News said:
For most insects, the sticky, slingshot ride straight into a frog’s mouth spells the end. But not for one stubborn water beetle.

Instead of succumbing to the frog’s digestive juices, an eaten Regimbartia attenuata traverses the amphibian’s throat, swims through the stomach, slides along the intestines and climbs out the frog’s butt, alive and well.

“This is legitimately the first article in a while that made me say, ‘Huh! How weird!’” says Crystal Maier, an entomologist at Harvard University’s Museum of Comparative Zoology. “There are still a lot of truly bizarre habits of insects that still wait to be discovered,” she says.

Surviving digestion-by-predator is rare, but not unheard of in the animal kingdom. Some snails survive the trip through fish and birds by sealing their shells and waiting it out. But research published August 3 in Current Biology is the first to document prey actively escaping through the backside of a predator.

With zero intent to pun: That’s kinda bad ass...

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lol. I saw that article and considered posting it. I'm not sure which is more impressive, the frog or the bug.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how often the frog goes, “Whoa, infinite food!” and just swallows the beetle again? :ROFL:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Yeah I was gonna say "sounds like another Ig Nobel prize contender." I think the other one I saw recently was "Bisexual men exist."

Also those frogs should have listened to their mothers and chewed their food good before swallowing.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
I read this to my wife and she said that's clearly just Ms. Frizzle doing an amphibious anatomy episode. I agree.