Reaction score

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I saw that video on facebook. Anyone else notice the "poot" when his son picks him up? I liked the woman's voice saying "Bye bye" as he was carried out too. I assume that was a store clerk.

It's a crime to threaten bodily harm, isn't it? Even in Arizona. Wish more of these asshats who go around menacing people would be charged. Might be hard to find a jury, let alone impartial ones, in this era, however.

I don't feel that sorry for the sons, though. They weren't wearing masks either, in violation of Tuscon's mask ordinance. I suppose one could argue that the Dad wasn't breaking the law (which requires everyone over 5 to wear a mask in public spaces) because mentally he's a toddler.

Last edited:

Moonchild

I write fluff and that's OK.
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I can't begin to comprehend this violent opposition to wearing masks. Like, even if someone thinks masks don't work, or even if they've drunk the conspiracy Kool-aid and they believe the virus is a hoax (like the "fine gentleman" in the video)... Why do they take it so personally to see other people wearing masks ? Like, how does it hurt THEM or "violate THEIR rights," if someone ELSE is wearing a mask?

I'm just perplexed.

Mind you. That seems to be my permanent state this year. That, and exhausted.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
A friend is a scientist and professor at UNC and has been setting this up. What she's been able to tell us has been interesting.

UNC Charlotte to test wastewater for COVID-19

"If we see elevated levels in wastewater we can do testing and isolation and quarantine," UNCC Chancellor Sharon Gaber said.

The university will focus its sampling in the residence halls — health officials will be going off of what comes through the pipes underneath the building. If COVID-19 is identified, then campus officials can determine where it came from, and enact group testing.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
A friend is a scientist and professor at UNC and has been setting this up. What she's been able to tell us has been interesting.

UNC Charlotte to test wastewater for COVID-19

This is actually a clever idea. Some small towns have used this approach to tell whether the virus is being shed in the community. They can detect extraordinarily dilute amounts of viral nucleic acids these days (and yes, the RNA is there, even if the viral particles are too degraded to be infectious anymore).

However, it doesn't sound like a lot of fun to be the person who gets to dip into the sewer mains exiting a bunch of college dorms.

TeresaRose

Registered
Reaction score
Shakeysix, thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry you've had to go through that but glad that your granddaughter is on the road to recovery. I've heard of people getting sick, getting tested negative for Covid, various times. On the third or fourth test, they tested positive. Most likely, she did have/has Covid. I hope things are that much better today :)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Schools and colleges return to in-person school in Georgia, few wear masks, hundreds test positive, some of those schools are already closing.

"News at 11."

This at a time when heart disease might be showing up in kids with COVID.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, UNC Chapel Hill just called off in-person after being open for one week. One week. All the folks who were like, "Hey freshman, be smart and just do your local community college online this year instead of going away to that more expensive school," were right on the money. I'm guessing most college administrators (who, theoretically, aren't naive or stupid) are just crossing their fingers and hoping they can pull off in-person classes past the drop/add period or for a few weeks, just long enough so that folks feel invested enough to suck it up and finish out the year online, rather than sue the pants off them for this easily predicted bait-and-switch.

I've never met an angrier "customer" than a parent of a private college student whose offspring was not being appropriately coddled. Even though UNC is public, it's one of the ones considered kind of "elite" so I imagine they've got a lot of the same entitlement issues.

If it were me, I'd withdraw entirely while I could still get my money back, and take online classes at the cheapest local community college. Hell, if I had to pay for college now even in a normal year, I'd go all the way to my AA at a CC rather than pay the exorbitant cost of a full university.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, UNC Chapel Hill just called off in-person after being open for one week. One week. All the folks who were like, "Hey freshman, be smart and just do your local community college online this year instead of going away to that more expensive school," were right on the money. I'm guessing most college administrators (who, theoretically, aren't naive or stupid) are just crossing their fingers and hoping they can pull off in-person classes past the drop/add period or for a few weeks, just long enough so that folks feel invested enough to suck it up and finish out the year online, rather than sue the pants off them for this easily predicted bait-and-switch.

I've never met an angrier "customer" than a parent of a private college student whose offspring was not being appropriately coddled. Even though UNC is public, it's one of the ones considered kind of "elite" so I imagine they've got a lot of the same entitlement issues.

If it were me, I'd withdraw entirely while I could still get my money back, and take online classes at the cheapest local community college. Hell, if I had to pay for college now even in a normal year, I'd go all the way to my AA at a CC rather than pay the exorbitant cost of a full university.

And the editors for the UNC paper, the Daily Tar Heel, didn't pull any punches when they ran an editorial about what a clusterf**k the situation is. Warning, they actually did use that word in the headline.

https://www.pressclubinstitute.org/...paper-responded-to-a-covid-cluster-on-campus/

I teach at a community college, and all our classes are online this semester, and my sections filled quickly and have full wait lists. I think many people are taking that general approach right now. If it's not safe to take in-person classes or return to campus, you might as well take your online classes somewhere affordable.

I think there is still a lot of value to going to a four year school if one can. I still remember how much I looked forward to going away to school, and I'm glad I had that experience. An education goes beyond just the classes one attends, and it makes me sad that students are missing so many social and cultural opportunities. But given how expensive 4 year schools are becoming, I don't see what choice most people have. I wish better-off people would stop being so selfish and pay it forward to fund public higher education the way people did for them when the people now in their fifties and sixties were in college (and the taxpayers footed more of the bill).

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe in spanking and never spanked my own child but metaphorically speaking, those kids need a spanking.

Maybe the college closing will wake them up.

Re online courses, welcome to the new world. In my sci-fi novel a couple hundred years in the future, all college classes are online. Kids still go to school until high school.

If anyone is interested how I handled finals in this situation, just ask. :D

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Coworker is going to be out this week to deliver child 1 to college, next week his wife will be delivering child 2 to a different one (they're twins). Let's see how long until it'll take for them to have to come back...Any college that is trying to act like business as usual has its head stuck in the sand. Saying "oh we'll just make sure they only go to class and their dorms, they're not allowed to visit other dorms" is incredibly delusional. Unless you plan on banning commuter students or those who work jobs off campus (which will disproportionately affect poorer students), you can't have a nice little bubble of safety. Child 1's college has an app that you report your symptoms each day and it generates a QR code, which is scanned when you enter class. No one is gonna lie on that!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That kind of app also favors those who start out healthy. I go to work with at least one common COVID symptom most days...as I did before COVID & will after COVID because I have allergies, asthma, migraines, & get an upset stomach from time to time. With an app like that, I’d either ignore my normal symptoms or never go to class (as is the case with work).

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Virology 101, Lab # 1 - how to grow a coronavirus in a petri dish.

North Carolina’s flagship university moves online after 130 Covid-19 cases
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/17/north-carolina-university-moves-online-covid-19

“We have emphasized that if we were faced with the need to change plans – take an off-ramp – we would not hesitate to do so, but we have not taken this decision lightly,” it said in a statement after reporting 130 confirmed infections among students and five among employees over the past week.
UNC said the clusters were discovered in dorms, a fraternity house and other student housing.
Before the decision came down, the student newspaper, the Daily Tar Heel, ran an editorial headlined, “UNC has a clusterfuck on its hands.

A+, guys.

-cb

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Some potentially terrific news--it appears that Covid is "beatable," long-term: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Z6wdu1eI0. The title of the video is A Torrent of Good News, and the presenter is Dr. John Campbell, an English nurse.

His criteria for being able to beat this thing long-term are: antibodies provide "real-world" protection, and cellular immunity is long-lasting, which he defines as years, and involving B and T lymphocytes.

I think this guy is concerned with truth--he's completely apolitical, at least in his presentations.

YMMV.

Having said all this: watch this thing, or don't watch this thing as you like. I want to pass along good news because suicide rates have really spiked during this pandemic, and hope is a powerful medicine all on its own.

However, I'm not going to engage in a passionate defense (or any defense at all) of Dr. Campbell. Take it to heart or dismiss it as you see fit. Hope it helps. : )

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having said all this: watch this thing, or don't watch this thing as you like. I want to pass along good news because suicide rates have really spiked during this pandemic, and hope is a powerful medicine all on its own.
On one level, I really understand this and I know it comes from a really nice, helpful place; but on the other, although hope is wonderful, I do think science is what we need to fix the pandemic.

Trump has made such a mess of hope in his happy-talk pronouncements :( If people are nervous about hearing 'good news', that might be where the nerves are coming from.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't believe in spanking and never spanked my own child but metaphorically speaking, those kids need a spanking.

Maybe the college closing will wake them up.

Re online courses, welcome to the new world. In my sci-fi novel a couple hundred years in the future, all college classes are online. Kids still go to school until high school.

If anyone is interested how I handled finals in this situation, just ask. :D

I know how I'm handling finals teaching online, but I'd be a fool if I thought the online proctoring software is foolproof.

That may well be an accurate way of portraying the future, but it's one I find profoundly depressing, and very possibly not 200 years in the future (though I suspect the wealthy and powerful will always find ways for their own kids to receive in-person mentoring and instruction, at least when there is no pandemic). I hope your world is dystopian :cry:

I find online education is missing so much, and I love the university and college culture--the vibrancy, diversity, social contact, long, intellectual conversations, concerts, astronomy parties, open labs, and vigor of simply being in that setting. Campuses are my favorite places in the world. But that's why I chose the profession I did, so I could stay in college forever. It's definitely true that the politicians and administrators have done everything in their power to leach the joy from my profession, and from being a college student, even before online education was much of a thing, though.

Makes me sad to think people like me might soon be replaced by algorithms and canned online courses designed at big universities but mostly run via an AI. (I can hear the byline now--an online science class designed by Cal Tech Professors, but available at your local community college!!! But then community colleges won't need to be local anymore either). I HAVE to believe humans still bring something to the table that is of value to avoid the cognitive dissonance of thinking I am useless, but maybe I'm just an old luddite who simply hopes she won't be redundant until after she is able to retire :p

Having said this, I also think it's madness to open in-person classes right now for all but the most specialized (and small) classes that require hands-on to get anything at all out of them. It sucks, but better to take a year off, or take classes online, and to batten down the hatches for a year. If we just took this seriously for the next six months or so, we might even get to the point where we could re-open safely again. The decisions about opening and closing, and not just for schools and colleges, are clearly being made for economic reasons, and I can see the administrators shitting bricks as they try to decide if they will lose more money by going online this year (and losing all that revenue from students who take a year off, or go the a CC) versus the lawsuits they will face if students and faculty start dropping like flies. "How many deaths can we afford if we stay open?" they are asking themselves. Of course, politicians are asking themselves which choice will cost them more votes--killing people or keeping people cooped up and resentful.

I curse the system and societal values that coerces everyone to thinking like corporate shills and to calculate the worth of lives and futures in terms of dollars and cents.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Roxxsmom said:
I know how I'm handling finals teaching online, but I'd be a fool if I thought the online proctoring software is foolproof.

That may well be an accurate way of portraying the future, but it's one I find profoundly depressing, and very possibly not 200 years in the future (though I suspect the wealthy and powerful will always find ways for their own kids to receive in-person mentoring and instruction, at least when there is no pandemic). I hope your world is dystopian

[sidetrack] There's no way teaching is not going the direction of more online learning. But it's in the future. That was one of the hardest part writing sci-fi for me, figuring out what would the future be like. Imagine imagining what the year 2020 would be like in 1920. I didn't want to make the mistake of pay-phone banks.

It's not quite dystopian, but it leans in that direction.

It's not identifying who is taking the test that was the issue. That won't be hard in the future given the way identifiers of people are going. I wanted to prevent anyone taking the test after having access to the questions. Kind of hard to prevent that kind of cheating if people take the tests at different times.

So in my fictional world everyone has to take the test at the same time. If you have to miss for something like an illness, you have to report to a center where you are watched over until you are ready to take the test. It fit my plot for other reasons. I'm probably being silly bringing it up here, and there are bound to be a million holes in that plot too.

I would think in the future something like iris scans would make having someone take the test for you very hard. [/sidetrack]

Last edited:

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Some potentially terrific news--it appears that Covid is "beatable," long-term: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Z6wdu1eI0. The title of the video is A Torrent of Good News, and the presenter is Dr. John Campbell, an English nurse.

Thanks for posting this, Cathleen. I really need all the positivity I can get.

ETA: I know this isn’t a guarantee and we don’t know for sure yet, but we don’t know that it’s not true, either, and I’m so tired of all the doom-posting.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Most Mass. students will be required to get the flu vaccine this year

Nearly all Massachusetts students under the age of 30 will be required to get the flu vaccine by the end of 2020, state health officials announced Wednesday.

The vaccine will be required by Dec. 31 for anyone older than six months old in child-care centers, pre-school, kindergarten, K-12 schools, and colleges and universities, unless they have a religious or medical exemption, are home-schooled, or are a higher education student living off campus and taking remote-only classes.

Elementary and secondary students whose schools are pursuing remote-only models this fall — but usually go to school in-person — are not exempt.

State officials said in their announcement that requiring the vaccine is “an important step to reduce flu-related illness and the overall impact of respiratory illness during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Smart move.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Does this mean you have a reliable flu vaccine? As far as I've heard, everybody's working on one, but so far they've only reached the testing phase?
Or does this mean the rug-rats have become lab rats?

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand the question, frimble. I got a flu shot last year, like I do every year. I don't consider myself a lab rat. Or is that satire, parodying anti-vaxxers? Sorry, I've taken my sleep edible, so my brain could be fuzzy.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's a flu vaccine, not a COVID vaccine. I think that's the confusion.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
[sidetrack] There's no way teaching is not going the direction of more online learning. But it's in the future. That was one of the hardest part writing sci-fi for me, figuring out what would the future be like. Imagine imagining what the year 2020 would be like in 1920. I didn't want to make the mistake of pay-phone banks.

I've no doubt you're right, but I suspect people will discover there are things of inestimable value that will be lost if there are no face-to-face institutions of higher learning anymore (for one thing, a heck of a lot of research goes on there, and researchers need students as much as students need exposure to research, even before grad school). My dystopian nightmare is that we are heading towards an even more stratified system of higher education than we have already, with the wealthiest continuing to send their kids to "real" universities (when it's not a pandemic, anyway), but "the masses" will have to settle for online, which will deprive them of the hands-on experiences and personal connections needed to advance beyond a certain place in the world. Especially in a future where anything that is not super creative (even teaching, medicine etc) will be increasingly handled by robotics and algorithms.

It will be interesting, in the short term at least, to see whether this "experiment" with moving education online at all levels advances the push towards online or slows it. I am getting the definite impression, both from my own students and from parents of children in K-12, that the greater flexibility of online education and working from home in general is not everything people had once imagined.

One major challenge this semester is how to provide accommodations for students with a distance ed system and online test proctoring software. Another is access for students without good internet or a real computer.

For those who are interested, online proctoring software many instructors are using during this massive move to online involves a system that requires students to take their exam with a web cam and microphone enabled, and they must scan their testing area and show a photo ID at the start of the exam. Instructors input what is allowed during the exam. The program monitors head and eye movement etc. and "flags" suspicious activity. The instructor then can view the video footage to see if it was just the student's cat jumping on the keyboard, or if they were checking their text or phone or something. It also stops them from navigating away from the test window during the exam or being in windowed mode, and the exam must be taken on a computer with the chrome browser. But there's no way to prevent students who have already taken their test online from telling a friend what was on it, which is an issue for asynchronous classes where the test is available over a longer time than a single class period.

As I've said before, though, I don't see an alternative with this pandemic. I can't think of a way to safely teach classes of the sizes we have in an indoor setting (and the administrators didn't even consider suggestions made by some faculty to possibly teach at least some classes outdoors in the stadiums and athletic fields, at least when the weather was decent and to move them online when the weather wasn't decent). Those satirical articles on McSweeny's.net pretty much sum the absurdity of what these universities have been attempting to do, which is basically slap a few placebo fixes in place and ignore the problem.

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
The flu vaccine takes several months to develop so they have to take an educated guess on what to include. You can still get the flu, tho, happened to me the year I did multiple business trips in one month and it was rough. Did not have the strength to do anything for an entire week. The flu also still kills tens of thousands in the US every year and the people who get hospitalized fill up hospitals/ICUs. Minimizing the number of people who get the flu means more resources for people who get covid (and things that will happen no matter what, like heart attacks, strokes, diabetic emergencies, car crashes...).