Media to be banned from Republican convention due to coronavirus restrictions

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right! And one question leads to another. Will Biden face the general public or try to “run out the clock” and remain in his basement office?

You got me there, buddy.

Does it count if he's using new-fangled things like the internets? Television? Wireless? Newspapers? Can it even be called "communication" if it doesn't take place in screaming, cheering, virus-laden rallies?

I'd have thought having your name on the ballot was a pretty good way of facing the public.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not asking for big (or small rallies). I'm looking at it from the standpoint of the voters. In politics image is everything. Of course the Trump campaign is trying to make Biden look bad - Biden is doing the same thing to Trump - that's politics, unfortunately. The negative advertising that everyone seems to hate also seems to work.
But at some point Biden will have to come before the public - in as safe an environment as possible - or voters will believe he really is hiding out. Nearing age 78, his age and health are an issue. He needs to show he's capable of carrying out the rigorous job of President.
Remember that the media questioned Reagan's age issues when he was "only" 75.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not asking for big (or small rallies). I'm looking at it from the standpoint of the voters. In politics image is everything. Of course the Trump campaign is trying to make Biden look bad - Biden is doing the same thing to Trump - that's politics, unfortunately. The negative advertising that everyone seems to hate also seems to work.
But at some point Biden will have to come before the public - in as safe an environment as possible - or voters will believe he really is hiding out. Nearing age 78, his age and health are an issue. He needs to show he's capable of carrying out the rigorous job of President.
Remember that the media questioned Reagan's age issues when he was "only" 75.

Not policies?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I told you he has, I linked to numerous news interviews shown in their raw form. You say rallies are not what you are looking for.

Then you say, "He needs to show he's capable of carrying out the rigorous job of President".

You need to look at your confirmation bias.

Did you see the images side by side of old-man Trump needing help getting down a ramp that didn't have a railing, juxtaposed with Biden going for a bike ride?

They show it at the beginning and end of this video, skip the obnoxious middle.

Trump keeps bragging that he passed a basic cognitive screening test we give to people with dementia to see how bad their disease is progressing. He thinks it showed how smart he is and he thinks the test was hard. Draw a chair, draw an analog clock, identify a couple obvious animal drawings, count backward by 7s from 100? Remember five words after a few minutes of doing other things. I have age related cognitive deficits and I passed that test with no errors. The fact he brags about how hard the test is tells a lot about his cognitive deficits.

Granted this one is an edited campaign video, watching Trump unable to negotiate the ramp, claiming he ran the last ten feet (he didn't), and the kicker of Trump walking up the airline stairs with toilet paper stuck to his shoe are stunning moments!

Trump said there were airports in the War of Independence among other ignorant statements he made like Fredrick Douglas is still alive. And it's not so much that he didn't know Andrew Jackson died before the civil war, it's that he thinks he knows the history he is spouting. And he has no clue there was no way to negotiate a resolution to the civil war.

He told Trudeau the Canadians burned down the WhiteHouse in the war of 1812. It was the British.

Here's Chris Hayes reading an incoherent Trump transcript.

Trump is 74. If you're going to attack Biden about his age, you can't ignore the deficits the old man in office has. You can show clips of Biden's gaffes and misstatements. I think there are some out there of Biden having a senior moment. None of that compares to Trump's blatant ignorance and missteps.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
So conservatives are suddenly worried about Biden's age and possible frailty while ignoring or excusing away signs of poor health and cognitive decline (assuming there was ever much cognition to decline from) in the current POTUS, whom they just so happen to want to keep in office.

Let's at least admit this isn't about the superior age or health, and certainly not about the "superior character" (can anyone even say those two words with respect to Trump and keep a straight face), of the anointed GOP candidate. All of those are nonstarters. It's about the policies Trump supports, about his social positions, and about the way he is handling Covid-19. People who are still voting for Trump, who are praying for his victory by any means necessary, are doing so by and large because they think the things he's done so far and the things he proposes to do in the future are good things. I assume they think he's done a great job of handling this pandemic, or they think the pandemic is so unimportant and insignificant his bungling of it doesn't matter?

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
He told Trudeau the Canadians burned down the WhiteHouse in the war of 1812. It was the British.

We can't change the past but we can fix that little historic snafu if you wish. Gladly.

-cb

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, being Canadians, this time we'll spare the Library of Congress.
Besides, it was the War of 1812 - what the Brits did, they did to avenge the American attacks on us!