Media to be banned from Republican convention due to coronavirus restrictions

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/02/media-to-be-banned-from-republican-convention-due-to-coronavirus-restrictions

The Guardian said:
The media will be barred from the Republican national convention where Donald Trump is set to be renominated as presidential candidate later this month, a spokeswoman said on Saturday, citing coronavirus restrictions.

While Trump called off the public components of the convention in Florida last month, citing spiking cases of the virus across the country, 336 delegates are scheduled to gather in Charlotte, North Carolina, on 24 August to formally vote to make Trump the GOP standard-bearer once more.

Nominating conventions are traditionally meant to be media bonanzas, as political parties seek to leverage the attention the events draw to spread their message to as many voters as possible. If the GOP decision stands, it will mark the first party nominating convention in modern history to be closed to reporters.

But I guess it's still safe to open schools everywhere? :tongue

I'll actually be surprised if they banish all media outlets from covering it, as opposed to selectively banning the ones Trump dislikes.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Trump is all about attendance. By preventing all media, nobody will see how empty the place will be. Who cares about this event being a perfect place to spread the party's message? There is no message nor a platform anyway...

-cb

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
This reeks of yet more shady business (and attention grabbing - mainstream media will obsess over the lockout and let at least a dozen more deserving stories, ones that might actually engage the public and inform them of what's going on, vanish like a paper towel tossed into a hurricane.)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
How are they going to get that post-election bump they always count on (since they have their convention after the Democrats) if nobody gets to see them playing inspiring music they didn't get permission to play and making speeches about getting tough on crime, mom and apple pie, and about feminists killing their children (news flash, the GOP was off the rails well before Trump won their nomination) on national television? How are they going to reach that "silent majority" they think are receptive to their message without all the necessary dog whistles (and dog screams) reaching them in their living rooms? Or are their plans for stealing the election so developed now they figure it won't matter who actually votes for them?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I think the best response would be to ignore the Convention. When they reach out to the media with their canned press releases written by their PR people, kindly wave them away: "If we didn't see it, it didn't happen". After all, he might be in an empty room, or not there at all.
Sure, Trump's pet people will run them, but deprive him of the oxygen of publicity as best the press can.
And, if his organizers do let pet journalists in, maybe some of them will work as double-agents for the greater good.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a pity. I was SO looking forward to a gaggle of goofballs rocking their MAGA! gear but no masks because only girly-men wear masks and big, bad, tough true-believers in Trump don't worry about no stinking, fake media/Fauci overhyped false flag operations even if 150,000+ crisis actors want to play dead.

Open the schools and close the convention! Eff the lamestream media and all those latte-slurping libs. Only Fox and One America news should be allowed to cover this overgrown Klan rally. The rest of us can watch Triumph of the Will for a preview of coming attractions of a second term when we get Trump Unleashed.

He's got a list and if you're on it, you had better been nice and not naughty... :evil

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Biden isn't going to Milwaukee to give his acceptance speech.
I guess he'll give it from his basement bunker.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I like that Biden understands and supports the concept of social distancing. At the moment Melbourne, Australia is going through a rotten time (nothing like as bad as yours, thank God) but it would have been so much worse if people hadn't gone hard into isolation and lockdown.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score

Right. Let's leave the superspreader events to the Trump campaign

-cb

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Biden has a basement. It's just a basement, not a bunker. And it's puzzling why someone who seems to still support Trump would want to remind us that Trump cowered in an actual bunker because there were protesters. Then I saw the Washington Post and apparently the campaign is trying to slam Biden for having and using a basement. So, the talking point has gone out and the faithful are running with it, silly as it seems.

Calling it a bunker is dishonest. So is altering photos, which the Trump campaign has done. That's all they have, it seems. Biden doesn't come out looking bad in this, but those trying to make him look bad are not covering themselves in glory.

Trump campaign ad manipulates three images to put Biden in a ‘basement’

Two of these photos fall under the category of “doctored” in the Fact Checker’s Guide to Manipulated Video. In the most egregious case, one image literally takes Biden from a nature preserve and puts him in a darkened room, even deleting the microphone that would signal he was speaking to people.

We’ve taken a tough line on manipulated video, and we’re going to be equally tough on the use of these images because the framing of the ad — Biden alone in his basement — is largely based on them.

Before the coronavirus appeared, Biden ran a traditional campaign, holding town halls and meeting with people. The fact that the Trump campaign is forced to take images of events of Biden with people and twist them into him being alone demonstrates how little material they actually have for an attack ad.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
More important than where Biden is spending his time is the question of when hecwill hold a public press conference with a variety of members of the media.
Also, there have been calls to cancel the Presidential debates. Will Biden participate?
Both of these events can be held in a safe place with proper social distancing.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This was heartening, though (And no, I'm not referring to President Trump.)
"Why do you keep saying that you passed Veterans Choice?" CBS News White House correspondent Paula Reid asked Trump at the Saturday news conference, during which Trump announced executive actions on coronavirus relief.As Trump tried to call on another reporter instead, Reid continued, "You said that you passed Veterans Choice. It was passed in 2014...it was a false statement, sir."

Trump paused, then responded: "OK. Thank you very much, everybody."

He then walked away as the song "YMCA" played.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He’s such a weakling. Pathetic behavior.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have to wonder if there's some fear that something else will happen during the convention that they don't want to be televised. Like what if the Republicans come out and say, "Oh, Joe Schmoe was nominated instead," and Trump's like, "No, no, it was me," and there's no evidence of it besides what people say happened? I mean, no matter how worried they are about empty seats or how much Trump rails against the MSM, you know Trump would be certain he'd get "the best ratings" if they covered it, so it's surprising he'd choose to lose that all-important benchmark.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly it's more that Trump is afraid the news media will show empty seats. He wants the crowd to be as large as his imagination thinks it is. He wants to control the narrative, the venue is full, people are lined up outside to get in but there's no room.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Well, to be fair I think you were the one who raised that question.
Right! And one question leads to another. Will Biden face the general public or try to “run out the clock” and remain in his basement office?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's with this "Will Biden face the public"?

First, drop the basement crap. If that's the room he has set up for his video connection it's no different than had he set the equipment up in his living room.

Youtube: hour -long interview with Atlanta Journal--Constitution reporter.
Former Vice President and presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden sat down with members of NABJ and NAHJ, including AJC reporter Tia Mitchell. In a wide-ranging interview, Biden answered questions about the U.S. response to the COVID-19 pandemic, criminal justice, immigration and more.
Remember, the main-stream news glommed on to his single misstep saying Hispanics were more diverse than blacks. It was only a couple days ago.

He answered CBS This Morning questions recently: Biden scoffs when asked if he's taken a cognitive test

Here's a ten minute interview from July 22: RAW INTERVIEW: Joe Biden talks with ABC15's Steve Irvin

That's just the top three on the search result. It's not hard to find these.

Here's another one from May; 22 minutes: CNBC's full interview with former Vice President Joe Biden
Joe Biden, apparent Democratic nominee for president, joins "Squawk Box" to discuss the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the stress the crisis is taking on the economy, how to help Americans navigate the health care system during the outbreak and many other political topics concerning voters as the 2020 presidential election approaches.

When you repeat the lie that Biden is somehow in his basement not facing the general public, you reveal your susceptibility to Trump et al marketing narrative. What is it you want him to do? Hold a rally that exposes the attendees to COVID 19 like happened to Herman Cain after he attended Trump's Oklahoma Rally?

And since when is holding a rally facing the public? They don't get to ask questions. Do you expect a rally of fans to boo or something?

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Right! And one question leads to another. Will Biden face the general public or try to “run out the clock” and remain in his basement office?

You know you have been here eleven years and you still don't seem to understand the basics.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Meanwhile, even Fox News knows Biden isn't in hiding. They caught up to him while he was out riding his bike (in a mask, like a true leader, setting a good example). Let's contrast that with Trump's recent feats of physical prowess, like drinking from a glass one-handed and making it down a ramp, albeit at a tortoise-like pace.

If Donald Trump, with his GOP enablers, hadn't tragically and almost incomprehensibly made a pandemic exponentially worse, we would all be living more normally, including candidates being able to safely hold rallies.

I get that "Biden's hiding" is some kind of Trump campaign talking point, but it's a deeply stupid one, and dishonest. So, on brand!