Honest Government, The Lincoln Project, & others: satire & moving political ads (any country) 2020

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honest Government, The Lincoln Project, & others: satire & moving political ads (any country) 2020

Because sometimes laughing is better than crying.

This group, thejuicemedia, is making a lot of political ads. They are based in Australia. They made one for Trump 2020. It points out how much money is flowing from the poor to the rich. Warning: there is a lot of bad language, definitely NSFW:

A Message from the White House

At the end of the video they note they do have some PG material.

This is one of the latest from The Lincoln Project. They make no secret of the fact they want to upset Trump with these ads because it puts him off balance:

National Geographic

And because inspiration is also needed sometimes:

The Lincoln Project: Wake Up!

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm glad someone is replaying the TP stuck on his shoe. That has to piss Trump off royally. He deserves it.

I can't see that clip without thinking of the scene in The Breakfast Club. I think it was the Breakfast Club, or was it in Ferris Bueller? All those evil principals blur together.

This isn't an advertisement, but it is funny and makes me kind of cry and laugh, and also makes me grateful I am currently teaching at a community college where the administrators decided early on that the economic balance actually favors us being online during this crisis. I don't really enjoy teaching online, and I worry we might have trouble getting them to let us resume normal classes once it's appropriate (and what it will mean for my profession long term), but for now, at least, we have jobs and we aren't out there being exposed and having to deal with students who won't or can't put on masks or exercise common sense.

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles...506Xvtazh91X2Cbk2ill-bLU6E9mu0oVMwauygtGHCGLw

Math Problems for Faculty On Their University’s Reopening Plan
by Laura Wright

1. Your University requires all students to wear masks while in class, and faculty — not the administration — are expected to enforce this mandate. On the first day of the semester, three students in your class refuse to wear masks because “this is America.” One student shows up in a Confederate flag mask, and another shows up in a “defund the police” mask. You ask them to leave and they refuse, reminding you that they are paying customers. Calculate the number of students who will be infected with COVID-19 after being involved in the ensuing multi-student fistfight.

2. Extra credit: How many students will drop your class as a result of this incident? How many will leave the University? How many will sue?...

It goes on from there.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This one doesn't fall into the comedy/satire category, but it's an excellent ad by yet another Republican that is voting for Joe Biden.

Daily Kos :Trump's former DHS chief of staff releases pro-Biden ad calling Trump's administration 'terrifying'
Miles Taylor is the former chief of staff of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for the Trump administration. For two and a half years, his job was to meet with officials at the DHS and then bring that information and their intelligence reports to the president in order to allow the president to make intelligent decisions regarding our country’s national security. That’s the job—technically. Taylor, a Republican, worked for a very long time in an administration that has been one never-ending garbage fire, and whether for noble reasons or just self-preserving ones, Mr. Taylor is no longer a part of the administration. In fact, he is actively trying to get the administration replaced by Democratic nominee Joe Biden.

In a new campaign ad from a group called “Republican Voters Against Trump,” Taylor speaks about his time as Trump’s DHS chief of staff and about how it was exactly what everyone reading this site expected. Taylor introduces himself and gives his bonafides, saying what he and others observed for the two years he was there “was terrifying.” He explains what most of us have known for a long time, and anyone who was aware of Donald Trump knew in the 1980s: Trump’s only priority is himself. “The president wanted to exploit the Department of Homeland Security for his own political purposes and to fuel his own agenda.”

Taylor gives a first-person account of Trump telling FEMA officials to cut off aid to California wildfire victims because he was “so rage full that people in the state of California didn't support him, and that politically it wasn't a base for him.” Taylor says that Trump not only supported a zero tolerance immigration policy but he wanted a more extreme version, with Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents actively “ripping children away from their parents” to set some kind of insane example.
Bridgegate on steroids.

And while many of Trump’s ridiculous ideas were “impossible” to carry out, many others were illegal, leading to this amazing quote: “He didn't want us to tell him it was illegal anymore because he knew that there were, and these were his words, he knew that he had ‘magical authorities.’”Taylor warns that people still within the administration are hoping to receive a second term in order to further push more extreme and likely anti-democracy, illegal measures, saying that while he does not agree with Biden on key issues, he believes that Biden will protect our country’s national security, something this current president has greatly damaged.

... Trump’s pathological incompetence is something that clearly most everyone on either side of the aisle can agree upon, but that is it. ....
They know it but the people sticking with Trump are as corrupt as he is. That doesn't surprise me one bit.

The ad is at the bottom of the article.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If only Fox News listened to themselves:

Youtube: NowThis: What If Fox News Covered Trump the Way It Covered Obama?

They don't even need to show the clips of Trump that fit the comments, they are that obvious.

Here's more of the same with some clips of Obama doing the things the Fox commentators are complaining about:

Youtube: Now This: How Fox News Reacted to Obama’s North Korea Policies

Here's the Now This Is News web site. It's not all about Trump, they have positive things about Biden. And they have some heartwarming stuff like this Kangaroos Sasha and Pimba Meet Orphaned Joeys Priscilla and Elliott.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
https://dogloversforjoe.com/

This one made me feel a bit, well, smug. Because I noticed early on that Trump is missing something every other POTUS in my lifetime has had--a White House pet. I've thought for a while that this was something that should be capitalized upon. Because I'm pretty sure Trump is no more capable of caring for an animal than he is of caring for another human being. FFS, the man won't even look at his young son, I could only imagine how he'd treat a dog.

Well, someone thought of this, apparently. And the image of Biden playing with Champ is cute.

https://www.fastcompany.com/9055865...esidential-dog-card-after-trumps-rabid-debate

Now before I insult anyone. I want to make it clear that I know great people without pets, and I know awful people with pets. As someone without kids, I know it hurts to have the absence of a particular relationship in your life used as a gauge of character. But as a dog lover, there is something about a man hugging a dog (I love cats too, so a cat will do as well) with whom he shares a bond that makes me inclined to like him a wee bit more. The only time I ever felt any chord of positivity toward George W was when he was greeting his wee Scotty dog.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a beautiful song. I don't understand some of the things in the story. Like this for example:
NBC reportedly edited from broadcast the word "VOTE" in large letters behind Lovato during her prerecorded performance. The network published the original edit of Lovato's performance on its website, with the large backdrop appearing at the end, but this version was not aired during the Billboard Music Awards telecast. Instead, Lovato's performance ended with a close-up of the singer looking down at her piano, sans the "VOTE" visual. Before the telecast ended, the NBC Entertainment Twitter account tweeted out a photo of Lovato's performance with "VOTE" being a dominant aspect. Even though this image did not air, Lovato retweeted it without comment.
WTF?

Lovato, a queer Hispanic woman, responded to criticism of her politics on Instagram, sharing that she is more interested in voicing her beliefs as an American than pleasing her fans.

"I literally don't care if this ruins my career," she wrote Wednesday in a time-limited story post. "This isn't about that. My career isn't about that. I made a piece of art that stands for something I believe in. And I'm putting it out even at the risk of losing fans. I'll take integrity in my work over sales any day."
I'm not surprised there are trolls on her instagram site.

But the suggestion criticizing Trump would be an issue sounds like something one would expect from some country-western artists.

I don't get it. Does Murdoch or Sinclair own NBC?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't understand that part either. I am not really familiar with her work overall, but it's hard to believe there would be many Trump voters in the fan base of a queer, Hispanic pop star.

Unless she was talking about being political with her art in general. There are still a few folks out there who don't like being reminded of anything political when they are being entertained--they want bubblegum and rainbows. I run into them sometimes as writers who insist their work is entirely a-political and they hate writers that get political. With writing, at least, I'd argue that all work is political at some level, as one's underlying values and politics will drive the stories, characters, and themes one embraces in one's work. Maybe this is less true for pop music, which is dominated by love songs. But even love songs express certain norms and values (like Sting's "Every Breath You Take" was from the pov that it's okay and sympathetic for men to be possessive of women).

Or perhaps she is simply stating that, given the trajectory our country is on, there is a certain amount of risk in being seen as blatantly anti Trump. This could perhaps make one vulnerable to harassment, hate mail, boycotts and so on from folks who aren't in your fan base but want to intimidate people who are. Maybe some folks would be scared to go to concerts if they are afraid Red Hat protesters and "Antifa" counter protesters will be in front of the venue shouting at each other.

NBC Universal owns NBC, which is owned by Comcast. They also own MSNBC. :Shrug:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly 90 degrees derail on the subject.

Opinion from a red neck who calls himself "a southern journalist who is tired of a lack of common sense". At 100K views, he's not trending but his cameos are right along the Lincoln Project ones in Youtube.

Right. A "journalist"...

Trust me. It's worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZMQ467p9Ug

-cb

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Beau of the Fifth Column is almost always worth a watch!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Slightly 90 degrees derail on the subject.

Opinion from a red neck who calls himself "a southern journalist who is tired of a lack of common sense". At 100K views, he's not trending but his cameos are right along the Lincoln Project ones in Youtube.

Right. A "journalist"...

Trust me. It's worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZMQ467p9Ug

-cb

"They care about power and keeping working-class commoners in their place."

Truer words never spoken. Why is this so hard for so many to see?

I think a big reason the GOP is reluctant to pass another relief bill is that they want Americans to go out there and ignore the covid pandemic, and ignore any restrictions in place in their own states, because they can't afford to do anything else. People have a weird habit of turning towards those who abuse them, if the abusers drive wedges between their victims and those who could actually help. The more I see, the more I think the relationship between the GOP and its base is just like that of an abusive spouse or parent. And as with the most malicious and dangerous form of relationship abuse, it's all about staying in power.

Last edited: