• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

ArtHouse Literary Agency (formerly Art + Deco Agency) (Felice Laverne)

quianaa2001

Registered
Reaction score
Do anyone know anything about the Art and Deco Agency? I saw them looking for submissions on #mswl and was wondering if they are legit.

Sonya Heaney

Registered
Reaction score
Erm ... they claim to be an "author coach", and they have no clients. The agent names specific Big Five books she's worked on, but all the motivational, vanity publisher-style language on the site doesn't give me any confidence.

(Signed, someone who is currently looking at querying agents!)

sheilathebard

Registered
Reaction score
I got a like from them in a Twitter pitch contest. Went back and forth for a while about submitting at all, but I eventually did and the agent (Danielle Colburn) requested a full.

She read it pretty quick and did end up rejecting, but with some helpful feedback. They sound like a startup agency without a lot of experience, but they aren't just repping everybody at least.

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
I came here when I couldn't find ArtHouse Lit or its agents on QueryTracker. I had one of their new agents (Lane Clarke) directly message me on Twitter saying she was interested in my #SFFpit pitch back from February (the pitch was about 3 months old by then). Maybe she is going through old pitching contests to find work she is interested in since she's brand new.

Reactions: Woollybear

Shadow Beam

Registered
Reaction score
I came here when I couldn't find ArtHouse Lit or its agents on QueryTracker. I had one of their new agents (Lane Clarke) directly message me on Twitter saying she was interested in my #SFFpit pitch back from February (the pitch was about 3 months old by then). Maybe she is going through old pitching contests to find work she is interested in since she's brand new.
Hi EmmaSkysong,

The same agent liked my pitch on #DVpit. I don't see her on QueryTracker either. Any update on your front? Anyone know more about this agency or Lane Clarke?

Thanks,
Shadow

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
Hi EmmaSkysong,

The same agent liked my pitch on #DVpit. I don't see her on QueryTracker either. Any update on your front? Anyone know more about this agency or Lane Clarke?

Thanks,
Shadow
Hi @Shadow Beam. Unfortunately I don't have any real updates -- last I checked, I still couldn't find a lot of information about the agency or their sales. Since I'd moved onto querying a different project, I didn't send her the story she requested (and I knew from a past interaction that she didn't like talking animals in SFF, so I figured she'd pass on it anyway).

Personally, I am focusing my search on agents with a track record in selling SFF. Or, if the agent is brand new, then I'd like to see them working with another agent who has that SFF experience. It doesn't seem like their team is there yet. It looks like they have three brand new agents without previous experience in the industry. Of the two co-founders who do have experience, it does not appear either has dealt with SFF.

Reactions: Shadow Beam

Wizera

MG/YA Author and Playwright
Registered
Reaction score
I got an #SFFpit like from one of their agents this afternoon, so I zipped over here immediately to learn what there is to know. Their PM doesn't list any sales.

Anyone paying for a subscription know anything I don't?

Wizera

Registered
Reaction score
I just checked PM and it looks like they currently have 8 clients and have made 10 sales in the last year. Mostly romance, but a couple nonfiction and one SFF.
Thanks! Any idea of these were to good houses?

I have no idea what "good" is for romance, ngl.

EmmaSkysong

Registered
Reaction score
After a quick search, it looks like Sounds True, Forever, and Page Street are all small publishers that accept unagented submissions. The ones that are associated with Harlequin require agents.

Mevrouw Bee

Registered
Reaction score
I received a like from Lane Clarke from #canlitpit this summer. Odd because her MSWL didn't seem to match up with what I did, but I queried the agency and she requested a full that she eventually passed on.

I follow her on Twitter though. She just released her own YA novel and she's a lawyer, so seems a smart cookie. Probably one to watch...

Wizera

Registered
Reaction score
Well, after the like, I ended up querying Lane Clarke with my MG fantasy.

Queried: 8/25/22
Rejection: 8/31/22

writera

Registered
Reaction score
An agent called C.L. Geisler was liking #PitDark tweets yesterday and is with ArtHouse. Anyone have any information on her? Or any updates on this agency since last year? Can't find any sales for her. It seems she is also an author and interned at ArtHouse so is new to agenting.

There were some more agents/publishers liking things on #PitDark I can't find threads for on here, but I've noted on the ones I could and have reactivated a few dormant threads right now as a result!

Last edited:

kelliewallace

Registered
Reaction score
An agent called C.L. Geisler was liking #PitDark tweets yesterday and is with ArtHouse. Anyone have any information on her? Or any updates on this agency since last year? Can't find any sales for her. It seems she is also an author and interned at ArtHouse so is new to agenting.

There were some more agents/publishers liking things on #PitDark I can't find threads for on here, but I've noted on the ones I could and have reactivated a few dormant threads right now as a result!
Carla requested my full a few months ago and ultimately passed. She gave feedback. I follow her on X but not sure if she's signed anyone recently

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's an agent named Esty Downes with this agency now, but she's not listed on their Publisher's Marketplace.