*Wrestling Intro Music Plays*

MICRONESIA

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why it's taken me so long to register here, but I'm psyched to finally pull the lever!

I'm a 35yo horror/fantasy writer. I just finished my sixth(?) novel, a psychedelic horror/sci-fi thing called The Crystal Margin. It's done the rounds with editors and critique partners for the last ten months or so, and I think it's about ready to go.

Some might remember me from the Agent Query Connect forums, where I was pretty active. What the hell happened to that place? Recently, I've been posting on the Query Tracker forum, but it doesn't seem to be too active.

I'm mostly interested in getting some eyes on my query and opening chapter(s). I *think* they're looking pretty decent, but who the hell knows. I sent out a small handful of weaker queries a few months ago, but no luck.

I've also participated in the latest #PitDark, #PitMad and #SFFpit, but have only gotten interest from smaller publishers. Oh well. Nothing lost. I'm not too active on Twitter either way.

I'm also a few months into a folk horror novel, which I'm excited about. It's centered around the mostly-abandoned Land of Oz theme park in the North Carolina mountains.

All that said, I'd love to swap manuscripts, queries, opening chapters, etc. with anyone who's interested. I'm well-read in a ton of genres, so I'd be down to critique whatever. Shoot me a message if you're interested.

I can't wait to meet everyone!

-Justin

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why it's taken me so long to register here . . .

Dunno. My guess would be to instill horror of the unknown. :evil

I see all your cool goals for being here, so :welcome:, Justin. Here's hoping you get 'em accomplished.

MICRONESIA

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, y'all!

One thing that's bugging me is that the site moves..................... SO..................... SLOW.....................

I'm using Chrome and my internet is high-speed. AW has been slow for several days, so I'm assuming this is a thing.

Any tips?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, y'all!

One thing that's bugging me is that the site moves..................... SO..................... SLOW.....................

I'm using Chrome and my internet is high-speed. AW has been slow for several days, so I'm assuming this is a thing.

Any tips?

We were knocked offline for a couple of months in late 2019 and early 2020, by a DDOS attack that someone paid to have happen.

That meant that we were on the radar so to speak, of various bot networks.

I'm doing all I can to ameliorate the effects of thousands of bots. You will have various levels of success at various times; it's not entirely predictable.

MICRONESIA

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much! It sounds like there's a lot of backstory here. I'm sorry such jerks exist.

The site is actually running much faster today, it seems. :)

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Count yourself lucky, Justin. I'm almost 80, and by the time I get the "Reply to Thread" window, I forgot what I was going to say. :roll:

Our Admin lady is an IT whiz :ily:, so we know someday we'll be up to speed again. :Hammer: