• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Audiobooks

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I own a business where I am basically alone doing something that does not require dealing with people-- no phone calls or looking things up-- but I can't read becasue my eyes and hands need to be engaged in this business. So I was thinking instead of music (which I usually play) I think I should listen to Audiobooks. I have done this a few times already.

My question; can you learn as much from an author if you do not actually look at the printed words, but just listen to them? I know that different portions of the brain are engaged whether reading visually, or listening-- but those areas are coordinated, howevert the input is processed in different ways.

The backstory here is that I want to get to know some author's writing and have been sitting in chairs and reading but my business has been suffering. I just thought I would replace my music with autiobooks when and where ever I can.

But I wonder if I will get as much out of hearing thema as I get reading.

Thanks, if anyone wants to answer this-- also, how do you feel about audiobooks in general?

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Questions about audiobooks come up from time to time -- I am a big audiobook reader and so I always have to chime in. Here's what I said on a thread just a couple of weeks ago:

Lakey said:
I’ve talked about this a lot around here. I am a huge audiobook reader; audio accounts for between 2/3 and 3/4 of my reading. Partly because there’s just plenty of time in my day when I can listen—while I’m walking, while I’m doing chores, during my commute (at least in the before times; I don’t have a commute at the moment); partly because my eyes get very tired from working at a computer all day and just from having crummy eyesight, so I cannot read an eyeball book for very long in one sitting.

I will fight anyone who makes the claim that audio reading doesn’t “count” or isn’t “really” reading. (To AW’s credit I haven’t heard that ableist nonsense here, but I see it frequently elsewhere.) There are advantages and disadvantages to audio reading compared to paper reading, but on balance, it works incredibly well for me. There have been times when I wanted to study a text more closely after listening to it and have acquired a paper or ebook copy for that purpose; other times I use the bookmark feature and navigate around the chapters to find passages I want to study. (Once I asked a friend who I knew had an ebook copy of a book I wanted to study to use the search feature to tell me what chapter the passage I was looking for was in; I quickly found it and did the studying I needed to do.)

You ask whether you will "get as much out of hearing" as you get reading. For me the answer is yes, definitely yes. But even if it's not, try framing it a different way: Will you get more out of hearing a book than you will from not reading it at all? Because for me, that's the choice. Choosing not to listen to audiobooks doesn't mean I'm going to magically have more time and eye strength for reading with my eyes; it just means I will read many, many fewer books. How can that possibly be better?

If it works for you, do it. It "counts," it's still reading, the words still enter your brain and rattle around in there as they would if you read them with your eyeballs. It's not an identical experience, but it's not an inherently poorer one, either.

:e2coffee:

TulipMama

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a neurologist, so I can't speak to the way the brain processes the spoken word vs written word, but I have worked with Audiobooks before.

First thing I have to say is that they are distracting. Music is great because it needs a fraction of the attention and at points where my focus is 100% on my work I notice I haven't heard a note of the tunes I listen to. Literally I've finished off a technical report or drawing and find myself in the middle of my favourite song with no recollection of the first half. With audiobooks however I find that I make mistakes in my work at a staggering level because I'm engrossed in the story more than my job. I say this as a caution to listening to audiobooks while working. If you find your productivity doesn't suffer, I am both happy and jealous.

Otherwise, I have consumed audiobooks almost exclusively over the past four or five years. I just don't have the time to sit down and crack open a novel like I used to (far too much child in my life atm) so audiobooks to the rescue. I can listen to them while making supper, going into work, sewing up pants, vacuuming, whatever. I can't tell you if you get exactly the same informed understanding of a given author's prose or style as with reading, but you do get something. I can tell the difference between Jim Butcher, Ben Aaronovitch and Sheanan Mcguire when I'm listening to the books. I can also tell very quickly if I like or dislike a writing style in the books I listen too. There is definitely something to be absorbed, especially if the reader portrays the book well and you can gather the inflections from their voice.

I whole heartedly endorse audiobooks as a medium, I fully intend to get my books published as such when the opportunity arrives, but they do need an amount of attention to read and I warn you to be wary of that.

Hope that helps,

<3 Tulip Mama

Cephus

Registered
Reaction score
Will you learn things from listening to an audio book? Yes. Will you learn the same things as you would from reading the book? No. Listening stimulates different parts of the brain than reading does. In audio, the writing is filtered and interpreted by a narrator, instead of allowing your own brain to do that work. That's where the learning comes from. You doing the work on your own. There's nothing wrong with audio books as an entertainment medium, but you simply cannot replace sitting down and reading a book on your own.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Different people will have different experiences with audiobooks. It's going to depend rather a lot on the individual, and the book.

There's nothing wrong with audio books as an entertainment medium, but you simply cannot replace sitting down and reading a book on your own.

This is an entitled and ignorant response.

• The human brain was evolutionarily designed to learn via audio and visual stimuli, among other parts of the sensorium.
  • We've had text for a mere 3000 to 4000 years; that's really a pretty short time period, evolutionarily speaking.
  • Literacy in Western languages has only recently been common; as in the last 100-200 years, depending on geography and social class.
  • Telling someone who can't see or has dyslexia that they're doin' it rong is ignorant at best, and potentially hurtful.
  • Anyone who thinks reading poetry or drama is unilaterally, qualitatively "better" than hearing it, needs to explore the history of poetry, which predates writing by thousands of years.

Read or listen as much as you can and find beneficial. Discover what works for you. We don't live in a binary, thank heavens. It's often interesting to read and listen to the same book. Take joy and learning where you find them.

RC turtle

Registered
Reaction score
You won't learn how to spell characters' names from andiobooks, if that's important to you. :tongue

At the time of listening, I feel like I miss some things, and some things even if I rewind several times I still miss. If you're trying to learn about writing, that may teach something about keeping a reader's attention, I guess. But I've found that after a while there is very little difference in what I remember, to the point that I couldn't tell you whether I read visually or listened to a particular book.

I'm guessing it's very much an individual thing, how one's attention works, what one's primary learning style is, etc. Try it and see.

In general, audiobooks are awesome!

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
When I worked in Silicon Valley, my commute was an hour+ each way, and I discovered that the best way to not go crazy in traffic is to listen to an audio book. These days (I'm retired) I only listen to them when I'm on a long trip in my car (never on the motorcycle). I love it! It makes the time and miles fly by and is IMO just as good as reading.

I wish there were a GOOD but inexpensive way to create and audiobook though - for me as an author it's price prohibitive.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I liked all the answers (so far). I agree with Admin in regards to literacy. We also learned our language (whichever we speak) in a pre-literate, totally oral/aural mode. If we were adults who had never learned to read, as the early people were for hundreds of thousands or millions of year prior to the invention of alphabets, we would have communicated in a total oral/aural way as well. Possibly it is writing that has de-railed the natural communicative environment. Most people who are not as old as I simply hate to read, and would rather listen to music, or watch movies-- regardless that at some time the lyrics or the script was the result of writing. I also think that it is a scientific fact (oid) that our memories are much better without the ability to read. I know they say that the ancient bardic tradition of some cultures included people who knew huge amounts of poetry.

But as a way of internalizing a variety of "ways of doing things" I would use that term instead of "scripts" listening may be a better way than reading-- they talk about how "passive" listening or watching is but I think our brains are working at all times, at different things.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I know they say that the ancient bardic tradition of some cultures included people who knew huge amounts of poetry.

I don't want to derail this conversation - but being Irish I've learned a little of bardic history.

Of interest is that many suppose that societies with such a tradition lack a written language - it is not correct. In Ireland, there was a very ancient usage of a written language. Ogham (the bronze/iron age written language in Ireland) actually used the Greek alphabet (written as runes) learned via trade. However, history was NOT written because they knew that a thing written is by default considered to be fact. A person singing or speaking we can judge, but books are inviolate. As the saying goes, the victors in war write the history books... usually painting themselves as virtuous and those they vanquished as savages.

These days we find Ogham written only on stones that mark the boundary between properties / fiefdoms.

Last edited:

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I wish there were a GOOD but inexpensive way to create and audiobook though - for me as an author it's price prohibitive.

You can always create your own audiobook - if you're okay with being the voice of the narration, it's actually fairly easy with a USB condenser mic, a laptop, and a coat closet. I actually ran a fairly successful podcast for a number of years, and do volunteer work for librivox. Will never be at the Audible level, but the paid professionals make really good coin for their work (as you've noticed...)

There's also Fiverr...not used them for that specifically, but have had varying degrees of success with customization of wordpress themes, logo design, etc.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Different people will have different experiences with audiobooks. It's going to depend rather a lot on the individual, and the book.

This is an entitled and ignorant response.

• The human brain was evolutionarily designed to learn via audio and visual stimuli, among other parts of the sensorium.
  • We've had text for a mere 3000 to 4000 years; that's really a pretty short time period, evolutionarily speaking.
  • Literacy in Western languages has only recently been common; as in the last 100-200 years, depending on geography and social class.
  • Telling someone who can't see or has dyslexia that they're doin' it rong is ignorant at best, and potentially hurtful.
  • Anyone who thinks reading poetry or drama is unilaterally, qualitatively "better" than hearing it, needs to explore the history of poetry, which predates writing by thousands of years.

Read or listen as much as you can and find beneficial. Discover what works for you. We don't live in a binary, thank heavens. It's often interesting to read and listen to the same book. Take joy and learning where you find them.

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm dyslexic and haven't ever been able to really get poetry unless it's read out loud. I can understand the words but because I read slowly, the poetry of it is lost. If it wasn't for Omnia's rendition of The Raven by Poe (they're a pagan folk-rock band and have set it to music) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCF2pson54s I would never have been able to appreciate the sheer beauty of this poem. As I understand it, Poe liked to perform The Raven himself to an audience, rather than just having people read it. That would be beyond amazing - listening to Poe read The Raven, live. You'd hear it exactly as he intended it to be heard.

Note: Omnia's version is somewhat abridged (some people might not like that and it would be cool if they performed the entire thing but it's probably just a tad too long to work well as a folk ballad) and they also changed "bust of Pallas" to "bust of Eris" (as they are pagans, I suspect this change from a goddess of wisdom (Pallas Athena) to goddess of chaos (Eris) was deliberate and not for aesthetic reasons).

Also, I think hearing The Raven in this way has changed how my brain processed it. After listening to it many times I seem to have accidentally memorised most of it. And my 14 yr old appears to have memorised nearly the entire periodic table by listening to this song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz4Dd1I_fX0

As mentioned by AW Admin, through our evolution we're wired up for oral history, not writing. That's probably why dyslexia is so common. It's also why it's a lot easier to memorise stuff if it's poetic.

Now I would like the Financial Conduct Authority and similar to issue their rules/guidance in the form of poetry (read out loud and set to music) as I have to know them for qualifications I'm studying for my day job. :greenie

Last edited:

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
As part of a church talent show back as a kind (early teen years), I had studied laboriously to memorize The Cremation of Sam McGee in its entirety. The act before me read it with book in hand and hammed up the reading a bit.

Oddly, I was eating a plum for lunch a few weeks ago, and thought as I got to the pit: "I wonder if a plum tree could be cultivated in TN?" Immediately, I laughed out loud as it took me back to the poem (it's the last line...)

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I did know about Ogham. It was my understanding that few artifacts were found using it-- Certainly not epic poetry. I thought that maybe it was used about like Linear A&B which was inventory, borders, royal decrees, and of course standing stones. I may be wrong. Just because archeologists have not found something does not mean it did not exist. I am of Irish descent myself, (County Cork). Ireland is fascinating.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I don't like them because I find them passive entertainment (where reading print requires more engagement) and I miss stuff. Secondly, I learnt a lot about how to format dialogue by reading printed books. Also how the page appears (i.e. paragraph construction etc.) There's nothing more off-putting than a page of solid text.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Yes, I did know about Ogham. It was my understanding that few artifacts were found using it-- Certainly not epic poetry. I thought that maybe it was used about like Linear A&B which was inventory, borders, royal decrees, and of course standing stones. I may be wrong. Just because archeologists have not found something does not mean it did not exist. I am of Irish descent myself, (County Cork). Ireland is fascinating.

Co. Kerry & Co. Cork here.

And I agree - that majority that's survived of Ogham is on stone, but it's likely to have been used on other mediums - wood or parchment would have deteriorated over time.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Of interest is that many suppose that societies with such a tradition lack a written language - it is not correct. In Ireland, there was a very ancient usage of a written language. Ogham (the bronze/iron age written language in Ireland) actually used the Greek alphabet (written as runes) learned via trade.

It's generally believe that Ogham was derived from the Roman alphabet; the Romans were already trading with the Irish by 4th century CE, and in fact there were already Irish monastics by then. It's not runic; that's a Nordic/Germanic system, and involves actual glyphs. Ogam is written with a series of straight vertical lines and an occasional diagonal. It's meant specifically to be written on the edge of something, like a stone, and is primarily found in the early attestations (pre 12th century) on burial stones and occasionally on boundary stones, in Ireland, Scotland, Wale, and the Isle of Man. Ogham is suitable only for very short inscriptions; it would take an eternity and a great deal of space to do much more than a hic jacet sort of thing.

It was also used for exemplar sorts of thing in later manuscripts; the Book of Ballymote is the Ms. with ogham-related content. Things like the tree-alphabets were Medieval monastic creations.

Co. Kerry & Co. Cork here.

And I agree - that majority that's survived of Ogham is on stone, but it's likely to have been used on other mediums - wood or parchment would have deteriorated over time.

I'm not Irish; I am a Celticist.

Ogham absolutely was not intended for or usable for anything other than short inscriptions; it's exceedingly inefficient as a writing system, and would take far too much surface material to copy anything lengthy. The glyphs are very labor intensive, involving multiple lines.

Last edited:

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
It's not runic; that's a Nordic/Germanic system, and involves actual glyphs. Ogam is written with a series of straight vertical lines and an occasional diagonal.

when I think of Ogham I think of the long line going around a stone or something, with the alphabet sticking out like the quills of a porcupine. And yes, it is usually something non-poetic, like markers at the edges of territory. Runes-- I think they are Futhark, not Ogham. More Viking or Scandenavian-- bo, thorn and the rest of those. They have found wood planks in boggy anorexic mud with Ogham on them.