Trump Wants to Delay Nov. Election

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Donald Trump suggests delay to 2020 US presidential election

He suggested a delay until people can "properly, securely and safely" vote.
There is little evidence to support Mr Trump's claims but he has long railed against mail-in voting which he has said would be susceptible to fraud.
US states want to make postal voting easier due to public health concerns over the coronavirus pandemic.
In a series of tweets, Mr Trump said "universal mail-in voting" would make November's vote the "most inaccurate and fraudulent election in history" and a "great embarrassment to the USA".

Last edited:

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He lacks the power to do that. I believe Congress can, and no, Congress will not.

This could be one of two things:
* Trump talking out his ass like usual, or
* a ploy at an election talking-point ala, “Republicans are concerned about voter health in this crisis, Democrats aren’t”

It’s entirely possible Trump thinks he does have this power, and it’s entirely possible his complicit DOJ and the complicit GOP-controlled Senate will try to make it happen, but there’s no way the courts will agree.

Also, obviously, the ploy depends on voters forgetting who consistently talks down allowing mass mail-in ballots, but assuming Trump’s base is stupid and/or willfully ignorant has worked well so far.

BTW, Biden called it back in April. I remember seeing pundits calling him paranoid for suggesting it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/24/joe-biden-donald-trump-delay-election

The Guardian said:
Fri 24 Apr 2020 09.15 EDT

Joe Biden said he is concerned Donald Trump will try to delay the November presidential election.

“Mark my words, I think he is going to try to kick back the election somehow, come up with some rationale why it can’t be held,” Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, said on Thursday night in remarks at an online fundraiser.

Under the law, no president has the power to postpone the presidential election. To change the date, Congress has to intervene.

Edited to add: And of course, this is probably part of his narrative in November that the election was fraudulent.

Last edited:

AstronautMikeDexter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelprocopiowrites.wordpress.com
Yes, my main concern is that he's setting everyone up for a very chaotic election. I feel like no matter the outcome, it's going to go to the Supreme Court and who knows what they'll do. Things are going to get very bad, I think. That's not to say we can't come out of it, but I don't think this will be anything but a very chaotic election and (hopefully, please, oh, please) transition of power.

I think it's likely New York State could charge him with something after he leaves office. So, he's not leaving office kindly.

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
A chaotic election is likely to be the best-case scenario.

I've been saying for a while that he'll do anything, absolutely anything, to avoid stepping down. Would he nuke a city in California, pretend Canada did it, start a war based on this lie, and "postpone" the election indefinitely because we're at war? ...I wouldn't put it past him.

The details may differ, but he's being backed into a corner, and cornered animals attack with everything they have. He's dangerous.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
He's talking out his ass and I'm not ruling out any crazy thing happening. He can't delay the election, he will try to monkey-wrench and incite violence, YMMV may vary if this makes him strong and powerful or if he's just a disordered creep whining when he looks at the numbers.

I'm putting low odds on Trump losing the EC and remaining in the White House even one minute after 12:00am on January 20th. There are a lot of 'what ifs', some get a little silly for me.

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
They didn't cancel/postpone the election for WW1/1918 flu pandemic or for the Civil War, where literally half of the country was, you know, not there anymore. They're not going to postpone it for covid.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, look where he's got that idea!

Jared Kushner Won’t Rule Out That Trump Could Try to Delay the Election
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/202...ule-out-trump-delay-election-2020-coronavirus

When Bennett asked him if he could offer a commitment that the election would take place on November 3 as scheduled, Kushner again demurred. “It's not my decision to make, so I'm not sure I can commit one way or the other. But right now that's the plan,” Kushner said. “Hopefully, by the time we get to September or October or November, we’ve done enough with the testing and with all the different things we’re trying to do, to prevent an outbreak of the magnitude that would make us shut down again.”

*this space deserves a blank*

-cb

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind Trump craves attention, and, like in 2017, as he expected defeat he was already manufacturing in his mind the fantasy of being defeated by fraudulent votes.

He has said outrageous things during his whole campaign and presidency. So it should be no surprise he has said yet another outrageous thing that will spend yet more time in the news cycle.

And he clearly expects defeat**. I'm not so sure how much I plan to worry about the GOP getting Trump reelected by voter suppression and shenanigans. It's possible. We should remain vigilant and fight against this crap for reasons much bigger than Trump.

I don't believe for a minute Trump has the power to stay in office once he loses the election.

We should worry about the flurry of activity McConnell and Trump are going to try to carry out during the lame duck period.

And I don't know what his cultists will do if he claims fraudulent votes lost him the election. Hopefully not much.

**He probably fluctuates between the insecurity he will lose with the narcissism that he will win.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
It was only a matter of time before he said something like this. Covid gave him an easy excuse. Not that it can or will happen, but it completely makes sense that he would throw that idea out there. He throws everything out there to see what sticks.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Has there ever been a delay of a national election during a war, pandemic or other disaster?

There's no way a POTUS could be allowed to delay an election, because any incumbent who was down in the polls would surely delay the election, perhaps indefinitely, until their numbers improved or there was an armed insurrection. Tropico, anyone (the computer game)?

I'm not sure even congress can do this, because otherwise a congress where both houses were under control by the President's party could delay the election if they looked to be losing. If they tried, it would certainly be a matter for the courts to rule on, and the SCOTUS has already ruled against extending mail-in ballot deadlines in a single state.

He's blowing more smoke out of his ass. Whether it's a calculated attempt to sow more discord and mayhem, or whether it's a trial balloon, or whether it's another example of him flapping his mouth mindlessly (as with the bleach injection "thought" he had), who can tell?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Coincidentally the announcement accompanied bad economic news. That should be a clue this is nothing more than a distraction.

Rollingstone: Economy Tanks, Trump Suggests Delaying Election - The GDP plummeted a record 32.9 percent in the second quarter
The Department of Commerce announced Thursday morning that the United States GDP fell by a record 32.9 percent rate in the second quarter of 2020. “It looks like the data are pointing to a slowing in the pace of the recovery,” Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said at a news conference on Wednesday, referencing the millions of American who remain unemployed and the millions more who continue to file for unemployment as the nation struggles to respond to the coronavirus pandemic, which has now claimed over 150,000 American lives.

In a tweet totally unrelated to any of the above, President Trump suggested on Thursday that the November election should be delayed....

Now, Trump is a world-class troll with a penchant for making ridiculous proposals on Twitter to see how the public will react, but he’s also the president of the United States, which means his shitposting needs to be taken seriously. As has been demonstrated in the past, it’s only a frivolous tweet until he actually tries to make it happen.

Fortunately, it would be a blatant violation of the Constitution,...

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Coincidentally the announcement accompanied bad economic news. That should be a clue this is nothing more than a distraction.

Rollingstone: Economy Tanks, Trump Suggests Delaying Election - The GDP plummeted a record 32.9 percent in the second quarter

This. He's clearly trying to bury the news of the worst economic downturn ever in US history happening on his watch.

Whenever he says something especially outrageous, look around to see what's really happening. Many times he's just trying to drown out the news cycle.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score

More like a "gimme". Like in golf. Because he just realized he has a bad scorecard.

-cb

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

This, and I kind of wonder if the outpouring of love and attention at John Lewis's funeral is something else from which he wants to steal headlines. If so, it ain't working. Tributes to this brave man dominated the news cycle tonight.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This, and I kind of wonder if the outpouring of love and attention at John Lewis's funeral is something else from which he wants to steal headlines. If so, it ain't working. Tributes to this brave man dominated the news cycle tonight.
Definitely!

He wasn't invited to the party and all the other presidents were there (Carter sent a letter). That must be eating at him just a little. And Obama gave the spotlight speech. Trump has to be fluctuating between fuming and denial that it matters or that he cares.

Wonder what he's going to do about Cain's funeral if anything? Here's a man that died believing in Trump's imaginary world. Trump has already denied Cain was infected at the rally. Given all the research coming out about superspreaders, I really wonder if anyone sitting around Cain was also infected?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tulsa News: Are we seeing infections from Trump rally? 'Connect the dots,' Tulsa health official says
...Tulsa County reported 261 confirmed new cases on Monday, a one-day record high, and another 206 cases on Tuesday. By comparison, during the week before the June 20 Trump rally, there were 76 cases on Monday and 96 on Tuesday....

A reporter who attended the Trump rally is among those who have tested positive for COVID-19, along with six of Trump's campaign staffers and two members of the Secret Service who worked in advance of the rally.

Statewide, Oklahoma health officials on Wednesday reported 673 new confirmed cases of coronavirus, the state's second-highest daily total since the start of the pandemic.

The new cases reported by the Oklahoma State Department of Health follow a record high of 858 cases that were reported on Tuesday and bring the total number of confirmed cases in the state to 17,893. The actual number of infections is thought to be much higher because many people haven't been tested and some who get the disease don't show symptoms.
A number of people in Oklahoma are blaming BLM protesters. I don't know about Oklahoma but everyone I've seen in the news marching have had masks on.

Everyone at John Lewis' memorial/funeral had masks on except when they were on the podium speaking.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Republican MA Governor Charlie Baker says no to delayed election. He also supports mail-in voting for all voters. It was recently signed here in MA. I received my application for mail-in voting and sent it back for all elections this year.

Baker was polite about Trump at the start of Trump's term. Now Baker's dislike is public and obvious.

On a personal note, I was not a fan of Baker's when he was elected and did not vote for him. His handling of Covid and criticism of Trump, his policies and BS has earned Baker my support and vote in the next election.

Link-Boston Globe