Neuropsychologist who wants to become a writer

lyann88

Registered
Reaction score
I am only child with a wild imagination that kept her company the too many times she had to play alone by herself growing up. Against all odd, coming from a low income family, I got my Ph. D. in 2014 and became a neuropsychologist. I truly enjoyed helping children with learning disability and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder get the help that they need to succeed in school. Writing is, however, my true passion and I gave it up after losing a school writing competition believing I had no talent. My novel didn’t get chosen at the 2018 Pitch Wars either and instead of giving up that time, I studied all the writing books I could find, listen to hour of classes online and read almost every books written by Ilona Andrews, Jessie Mihalik, Jim Butcher and Ernest Cline. I was disappointed by most sci-fi romance books with their predictable/unrealist plot element and too many aliens. I started writing a brand new novel that I would enjoy reading. I have the wild dream that my stories could one day become a successful series of books such as the Dresden files. I am considering continuing the series by having Ella opening a private detective business while fighting back against the unjust system as the serie progress.
I am currently working on my second novel (if we can call it this way given that I never really finished the first) : Wrong Side. It is a cyberpunk novel with undercover romance elements taking place in 2090.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Lyann. I like your private detective series. Lie back on AW's leather office therapy lounge and tell us more. :greenie

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Lyann. I like your private detective series. Lie back on AW's leather office therapy lounge and tell us more. :greenie
Surely that's not real leather, not on our budget!

It's a pleasure to meet you, Lyann. Welcome! Soon you'll be seeing a post from this board's moderator with a whole bunch of links. If you make the time to read them over the coming days, nearly every question you might have about this site and how it all works will be answered.

Maryn, who confesses she did not read them all, but has now

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Surely that's not real leather, not on our budget!

How does that make me feel? I get upset when Maryn calls me Shirley.

Welcome again, Lyann. As you can see, you'll be busy here treating neurophychological problems if nothing else. :crazy:

lyann88

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Thank you Chase, Regdog and Maryn for your warm welcome!! I have to admit I didn't take the time to read everything yet. I've put in my email address in the Beta reader section and so far I received only one request to review someone's work. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and reaching the level where I able to share my own work. Friends and families will tell you they like it but people online will be brutally honest, that what you need to improve your work.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It will be best for you to remove your email address from Beta readers. this is a public forum and it can be lifted by spam bots. Just ask members to PM you about Beta reading.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See, already a good tip. We try to look out for each other.

Except for me and Chase. That's mostly jokes and light needling, because we've become friends over time.

Maryn, a pretty tough audience

MsVibey

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lyann from a fellow newbie! Gotta say I'm more than a little envious of the insight you'd be able to bring to your characters courtesy of your neuropsychology background. Do you spend ages on your characters?